Dead Space Looks Like The Scariest iPhone Game Yet

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Dead Space Looks Like The Scariest iPhone Game Yet

EA's footage of Dead Space on the iPhone appears to be chock-full of Necromorphs and violence.

There isn't exactly a large number of survival horror games on iOS devices, so fans of the genre will surely be thrilled to know that EA is releasing a port of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Platinum-Hits-Xbox-360/dp/B000X1PE16/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1295489655&sr=8-5>Dead Space for the iPhone. In order to promote the game, EA Mobile has released this trailer to the general public, which looks like it might deliver a legitimate fright or two (along with a couple of gallons of blood and gore).

The trailer shows off the game's gory action, and the visuals are pretty impressive. Outside of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106085-Update-Epics-Infinity-Blade-Is-the-Fastest-Grossing-App-Ever>Infinity Blade, these are arguably some of the best graphics I've seen in an iPhone game and the framerate never seemed to stutter (however, it should be noticed that this footage was shot with an iPhone 4). Of course, it's hard to tell whether or not the actual play mechanics are any good from this video.

The game is set to feature an original story that will bridge the plots of Dead Space and <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Collectors-Xbox-360/dp/B0047O617Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1295489655&sr=8-6>Dead Space 2. As you can see, players still control Isaac Clarke, but not much else about the storyline is apparent yet. Dead Space is presumably going to come out for the App Store next week, since Dead Space 2 is set to be released on January 25th, though EA has yet to announce an official date.

Source: Geek

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Looks like it could be interesting game for iPhone users, but not very scary unless your standing in the middle of the woods at night.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Lost all sense of horror when the monster appeared going "Graaaaahhhhhh!!! Grahhhhhhhhh! Gruahhhhhhhhhh!"

TheHitcher

Sep 9, 2009
Two words: unbelievable graphics.

I literally can't believe what I just saw was an iPhone game.

Death on Trapezoids

Nov 19, 2009
Introducing Dead Space for the Iphone: the most fun you've had on an Iphone since Iphone nazi zombies.

I don't know what's more interesting: physically punching a necromorph's head off with your plasma cutter-coated fist, or cutting it off with a mini plasma chainsword? I hope said chainsword is featured in dead space 2.

Isaac sounds a lot like the necromorphs this time around, don't you think?

"UUUURRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH *GWAN GWAAAAAAAAAWWW*"

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Yup. I'm sold. Getting this as soon as it's available.

wildpeaks said:
I mean c'mon, who doesn't allow the frakking arrow keys to move the character ? It's pure evil. (Sure, a fan made a hack to be able to do that, but that's just cruel).
This confused me, however. Do you not WASD? Are you left handed?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Hmm, seems Isaac's baby-kicking ability has improved, that one seemed to go alot farther then the ones I remember in Dead Space on Xbox.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
TheHitcher said:

My brain ass-ploded as well...that is really incredible.

wildpeaks said:
Even if I have bought most games to existence for the iPhone [and PC] and I'm not proud of it, I refuse to buy that one because Dead Space on PC frakking sucked.

Sorry but if you don't allow the WHOLE FRAKKING KEYBOARD to be bindable, you need better PC testers, seriously. I mean c'mon, who doesn't allow the frakking arrow keys to move the character ? It's pure evil. (Sure, a fan made a hack to be able to do that, but that's just cruel).
I haven't used the arrow keys for movement since Doom. I use IJKL, as I move the mouse with my left hand. I did, however, have to download the patch that removed that bullshit delay in the controls, and even then it felt like you were flailing through cold molasses. Which, IMO, made it scarier. No twitch-movement to save your glowing spine from a Necromorph's bone scythe.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
TheHitcher said:

Yeah phones nowdays(q1-q2 this year) are running dual core 1ghz processors 512-1gb ram and with their own GPUs if only controls weren't so wonky.

I love it soon we shall just plug our phones into a laptop base/screen and keep on working/playing.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
It's pretty impressive, I'll give you that. Makes me wish I had an iPhone. Plus, any addition to the Dead Space story is nice. Visceral is great at creating a whole universe for their original games.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well... I'm not a fan of iPhone's 3D graphics, but for it's platform, it did looked quite good. I mean, it has quite some good ligh and shadowing effects, but it doesn't look as good as the real thing (pc version).

And yes, I enjoyed every minute of it (played best with a 360 controller).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm impressed at how good it looks on the iPhone, even though I know what the guts of the phone are. I guess I'm not used to seeing good looking games on phones yet. Although, I'm not sure how scary it will be since you can see and hear them running at you. I do think it's kinda funny seeing them do that while flailing their arms...I think that's what those are anyways.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
It looks good considering, but it doesnt look good as a dead space. Yes I know there are technical limitations but to me it just doesnt look good. Also, loud "GWARRRGHH" sounds dont make a scary game. I think platforming games are more suited for the iPhone.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
That looks like controlling it's going to be bloody awkward.

Also, I have to agree with about half of the people here and say that something shouting at you from down a hallway isn't exactly fear-inducing. Especially when it just sounds like someone violently puking.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
TheHitcher said:

Its good... for an Iphone game.
if these graphics where on a pc or console it would be bottom line.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Lacsapix said:
TheHitcher said:

Its good... for an Iphone game.
if these graphics where on a pc or console it would be bottom line.
Of course it would be bottom line for a PC or console.

But we are talking about a device that is the size of your hand and is a completely self sufficient gaming platform here.