Dead Space

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
Who ever has the game, what would you say about it? Good or bad? Rent or buy? Or don't even waste money at all on it. I've heard it was really good, and that I should give it a try, but that's only from around 1 or 2 people.

I want to know what the Escapist thinks.

So what should I do?

54r93

Sep 22, 2008
Absolutely amazing game. Chilling atmosphere wonderful graphics and lighting, interesting story. It plays like and is as good if not better than Resident Evil 4, and its actually scary. Best game out this year, and that's including Fable 2 and Far Cry 2 and Gta 4

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
As soon as I get a new 360, this will be the first game I buy. I've been excited about this game for several months.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
Right now, I'm probably going to rent it, I haven't heard enough.

Is it worth the $60 it is?

Is it a game that would make me want to go back to in a few months when I'm bored?

Is it a game where I won't be able to put the controller down?

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
I got this game expecting a moderately scary 3rd person shooter with survival elements, and thats pretty much what I got!

While this game did have a couple of annoying issues and was criminally short, I'd still say it's one of the best I've played on the 360.

In answer to your question, why haven't you bought this already? GO NOW, MORTAL!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I really enjoyed it (on PC). It plays like a cross between Metroid Prime, Resi 4 and a bit of Gears thrown in for good measure. The design is good and the atmosphere creepy as hell.
But it's very much a shooter rather than survival horror. The plot's also pretty dire, well executed and with one good twist. But the rest of it could be straight out of American Horror Movie Cliches 101.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
when in doubt rent, if you like it afterwards spend the whole 60 dollars.

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
I would say it is definatly a rental. I finished it two days ago and it was really fun. The being said there are quite a few problems with it.

It is short. Really short. I finished it at almost exactly eleven hours. And unless you scare very easily, this game is not scary. And the melee combat is rather bad. It is very tough to judge if you're actually going to be able to hit an enemy when you start swinging your gun around wildly, and if you do manage to him the enemy it does not seem to do very much damage.

It is, however, fantastically violent and has some rather hilarious weapons and an extreme sense of atmosphere.

If you must buy it I'd say wait a few months until the price is lowered. But definatly a great rental, for sure.

FuzziBunni

Jun 11, 2008
Awesome game. It will scare you, not often but it is very disturbingly fun too. The opening alone is pretty sweet.

Zrahni

Oct 24, 2008
pieeater911 post=9.75015.854123 said:
I would say it is definatly a rental. I finished it two days ago and it was really fun. The being said there are quite a few problems with it.

It is short. Really short. I finished it at almost exactly eleven hours. And unless you scare very easily, this game is not scary. And the melee combat is rather bad. It is very tough to judge if you're actually going to be able to hit an enemy when you start swinging your gun around wildly, and if you do manage to him the enemy it does not seem to do very much damage.

It is, however, fantastically violent and has some rather hilarious weapons and an extreme sense of atmosphere.

If you must buy it I'd say wait a few months until the price is lowered. But definatly a great rental, for sure.
Well 11 hours is quite long right now most released games if shooters are below 10 hours.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
10 hours is more than enough for me. What stops me from purchasing (apart from Fallout 3, PES 09 and Left 4 Dead) is the prospect that it won't be scary - just kinda dark. Personally, I found Doom 3 intense, BioShock unsettling and Silent Hill 1 pant-wettingly eerie - so how does it compare with them?

Pernese

Oct 25, 2008
I'm replaying it now on Impossible mode (Aptly named, btw). The game is very immersive, the atmosphere is chilling, and the details used in the game are incredible. I especially like how the sound is deadened in zero atmosphere, and the physics engine in zero-g is well set up.

There are only a few minor complaints I had. First, it is rather short, I finished it on medium difficulty in about 12 hours. Secondly, and this may just be me, but the asteroid shooting sequences were really annoying, at least on the 360. Also, it feels more like Doom 3 than it does Resident Evil, more of a horror shooter than survival horror.

Aside from those few things, it's an awesome game, and I would recommend purchasing it.

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
Mmmm... I bought it on 360, loved it, but beat it in a little under 12 hours... And that was with only the plasma cutter... So if you're an achievement whore, and love getting them, you'll play through it multiple times (as I am), but if not, rent it.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
harhol post=9.75015.854511 said:
Pernese post=9.75015.854479 said:
There are only a few minor complaints I had. First, it is rather short, I finished it on medium difficulty in about 12 hours.
Just a quick question: How many third-person action games have you played in the past five years that last longer than twelve hours? I can't think of many...

There was a time when you could expect a survival horror game to last no more than three hours!
Indeed! Resident Evil 2 my race record is 1hr 22mins. on Leon Senario A...Claire A is at least 1hr 45mins:p.