Deadliest warrior: Alexander the Great vs. Attila the Hun WTF!?!?!?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Dramatic Flare said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Most of those match-ups are a little messed up.

Spartans and Samurais would never be fighting alone.

How does a computer calculate bombs that needs to be planted BEFORE the battle and the odds of an enemy walking over said bomb?

Ninjas would never be fighting face to face.

Probably the one I disagreed with the most though was William Wallace vs Shaka Zulu. Yes, lets give the guy who lives in the iron age a Claymore and the man who lives in a Tribe in the middle of Africa some poisonous spit. I don't know, something about that fight just seemed unfair to me.

Edit: I'm also not looking forward to next weeks episode which is Al Capone Vs Jessy James. Yes, let's take a fat man and put him up against an expert marksman.
Err, William Wallace lived in the Dark Age, not the Iron Age. Iron Age was before even the Roman Empire, and W.W. was after.

Jessy James is a famous train robber, not so much an expert marksman.
And the fat man has something the robber doesn't; automatic weaponry.

Though in fairness, the show is all ridiculous and should never be taken seriously under and circumstances.
Whatever age he was in, William Wallace did have the superior weaponry when compared to Shaka Zulu. I've must of said that a thousand times by now though.

As for the Al Capone vs Jessy James fight. One man boarded trains and robbed the passengers. Often these trains would be armed. Al Capone on the other hand made his money through making illegal booze and selling it to the masses. He was able to pay people to do his killing for him. Automatic weapons or not, they won't do much good for a guy who has never fired a gun before.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I think it's important to remember that the clips at the end are just for entertainment. They're just bits of action that show each weapon in use. But there are some things that actually bother me, where do they get these experts from? The two old guys for Al Capone, they're supposed to test weapons. Get young fit experts not two old guys. The episode I thought was awesome was the Spetsnaz, God they kick ass

NJ

Feb 12, 2009
Ya' gotta admit, the episode where it was Mafia vs Yakuza - 'twas a good match-up. Equal to some extends, atleast.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
arbiter592 said:
Sougo said:
I stopped watching this show ages ago. Its absolute crap. It seems the warriors themselves are being deliberately 'limited' to be able to fit in the damn simulator.

Reminder: whats the tie-breaker between the Yakuza and the Italian Mafia? A bloody screwdriver
Actually the sais got more kills than the ice pick. The thing that gave the mafia their edge was the baseball bat. obviously superior to nunchuks.
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, because I don't watch the show...

But, just to butt in, bats kinda are superior to nunchucks. Sure, the latter are showy and can be used effectively by a professional, but a bat can be picked up and used by just about anyone. And it'd still probably be fairly balanced against nunchucks wielded by someone who knows how to use them (and doesn't just hit his own nuts, I've tried nunchucks and boy they're not worth it).

Good club balanced for swinging against complicated sticks on chains. Yeah, I'm going with the club.

SlowShootinPete

Apr 21, 2010
Pifflestick said:
I stopped watching it after Alexander vs. Attila because it was that episode that proved Deadliest Warrior is complete bullshit. Siege weaponry? Some weirdass crossbow? No. Just no. The whole show is a fucking joke.
It took you that long to realize? :D

It's a retarded show, but I can't help but love it. I especially like how they've started putting little stories in some of the battles, like where Jesse James was poking around in the museum when Al Capone shows up, probably to extort the curators or something. And in the SS Vs. Viet Cong episode, where the German soldiers ran through space and time from the Fatherland to southeast Asia to rescue their buddy.

The trash talking is fun too. One of my favorite episodes is the Maori Vs. Monk one, because the Maori guys were just so cool ("Computer's probably Chinese.") And in Centurion Vs. Rajput, both sides were actually being fairly logical for a change.

voetballeeuw said:
But there are some things that actually bother me, where do they get these experts from? The two old guys for Al Capone, they're supposed to test weapons. Get young fit experts not two old guys.
R. Lee Ermey is an old guy. Your argument is invalid.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
I love this show. I love learning about ancient warrior cultures, and I love seeing them test weaponry. I love the staged banter that goes on between opposing "experts", and I love the cheesy cinematic finales. I love the costumes, the reproduced weapons, the way that they create "challenges", etc...

Like it for what it is, or don't watch it. It's presentation, not representation, and at the end of the day, it's all about entertainment.

maddawg IAJI said:
During the after show for that episode one of the Ninja advisers actually said that the Ninja, in reality, would have ran away and then would have came back at night and slit the Spartan's throat in his sleep.
The ninja representatives were talking out of their asses, especially the younger one. Remember when he failed to penetrate the bronze breastplate, and then pretended that he'd deliberately deflected the blade towards the neck in order to "surprise" the Spartan? Even the presenters said that they thought he was talking shit.

And answer me this: if the ninja never fought face to face, then why the hell did they need so many combat weapons?

pantsoffdanceoff said:
The fuck? Alexander The Great was known for being an excellent strategist not a face smashing warrior, why the hell would he win a fight against some barbarian who had practiced eating babies since he was a baby.
Alexander the Great was a expert in the martial art of pankration, was proficient with most weaponry of the time, and was trained to fight from an early age.
Attila on the other hand, was a legendary brawler, and naturally skilled when it came to combat.

I think that the fight between them could have been choreographed better, but they were a pretty even match.

Sexual Harassment Panda said:
NeutralDrow said:
68 posts and no one's posted Spoony's review? I'm disappointed.
Why would they think that anyone would want to listen to them being uninteresting for 50 minutes? I'm not saying the show is anything more than enjoyable fluff. But I don't believe for a second that they show you every little bit of testing they do, or that those 3 guys make all the decisions on their own. My guess would be that they are little more than presenters picked on the assumption that they would make the thing more watchable...I would be surprised if they were genuinely masterminding the thing.

...things are rarely as they seem on television.
This guy gets it.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Although i find that show fun to watch, the closest realistic one was mafia vs yakuza, but thats it. you can't determine who would win, because luck could be involved, plus whatever the person wants to do, for example move in a certain direction would also take effect. And btw, the viking vs Samurai and knight vs pirate were pathetic, at least get the warriors in the right time zones. But i mean hey, it's not a documentary.

kebabman

Jun 2, 2010
R4ptur3 said:
And btw, the viking vs Samurai and knight vs pirate were pathetic, at least get the warriors in the right time zones. But i mean hey, it's not a documentary.
Sun Tzu (5th century BCE) vs Vlad the Impaler (15th century CE) - difference of 2000 years. :D

Zeromaeus said:
I'm waiting for less than real stuff...
Like Lord Dracula vs. anybody
Yeh, unless Sun Tzu has silver weapons or destruction magic, I see no way in hell he'll beat Dracula. Dracula will just keep regenerating every time you cut his head off...

Then again, from the movie "Hero," which takes place during the Warring States Era of Sun Tzu, one of the characters uses a silver spear in combat... :D

arbiter592

Jun 1, 2010
pantsoffdanceoff said:
The fuck? Alexander The Great was known for being an excellent strategist not a face smashing warrior, why the hell would he win a fight against some barbarian who had practiced eating babies since he was a baby.
Actually, Alexander is quite often mentioned as an elite fighter in his trainer's logs.

austin9993

May 29, 2010
DarkDain said:
austin9993 said:
DarkDain said:
arbiter592 said:
This was one of the most BS episodes I have seen on Deadliest warrior. Let's give Alexander a siege weapon in a 1v1 fight, while we give Attila a freakin warhammer! Post what you guys thought about this and indeed any other Deadliest Warrior episode you disagree on.
What kind of siege weapon? One that can be set up and used by one guy and aimed at a single target ? thats madness. Although im still in favor of alexander the great, but not with a artillery. Lawl they should of given him a siege tower. xD
I think they gave him a Ballista... But they also gave them both like 10 men to fight with, although I think all of them die within like a minute into the fight
Ok but still a ballista isnt something you just point and shoot, it was really accurate but its not like they had crosshairs for them, they'd have to shoot it once just to figure out where it hits, then leave it like that until someone walks into that spot, thats how they were used ._.
Lol well thats mainly what they used in that time so I'd assume that they'd be pretty experienced at judging where the missle will land. Not saying its hella acurate, but it might be easy hitting one of like 10 guys sitting around a fire like in the show.

Sad Panda 46

Apr 6, 2010
I disagree on none because well........ They made the show for fun. Do you really think that these two will ever fight so here is the real question...... Does it matter?

Sad Panda 46

Apr 6, 2010
He may have been an excellent strategist but Atilla was just insane and he wouldn't give up. Strategy doesn't work in a sword fight with a Hun.

Sad Panda 46

Apr 6, 2010
You know what I would love about Deadliest Warrior? The fact that they could put in what ever warriors they wanted. I'm just waiting for Master Chief vs. Marcus Fenix, which would be an odd episode.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I distinctlyl remember the morning star crushing a gel head in 1 blow, but the pirate took 2 hits from it in the end battle and still kept on keeping on.

Sad Panda 46 said:
He may have been an excellent strategist but Atilla was just insane and he wouldn't give up. Strategy doesn't work in a sword fight with a Hun.
Atilla actually was a good commander and wasn't afraid of retreating. Before the battle of Chalons, Atilla was sacking a town as the Roman & Visigoth army approached. Instead of fighting in the city where his horsemen couldn't maneuver, he pulled his men out and retreated. Later, he and his men retreated after being defeated. A year afterwards, he attacked again. The Romans attacked his lands and they made a truce. Even more itneresting, the Roman commander that defeated him actually lived with the Huns for some time and was on friendly terms with Atilla.