Deadly Doctor Who Villain Escapes to the Frontier(Ville)

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Deadly Doctor Who Villain Escapes to the Frontier(Ville)

It would seem that not only is someone at Zynga is a Doctor Who fan, but he or she has decided to make things just a teensy bit more "interesting" for the trailblazing pioneers of FrontierVille.

Performing certain tasks in Facebook game FrontierVille earns you awards and decorations you can use to tart up your property. Mouse over this cherubic statue, however, and you'll find that it's a bit more than just a handsome addition to your ranchyard:

Blink and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink.

The description is a reference to The Weeping Angels, which first appeared during sci fi series Dr. Who's third season in the award-winning episode "Blink." They are a predatory species that feasts on energy, and they're particularly fond of the life energy of another being. The Angels have a unique defense mechanism which turns them into simple statues it any living creature is looking at them. The moment the lights go out, however, they move with incredible speed, crossing entire rooms in literally the blink of an eye.

Obviously, no one's in any real danger from this particular angel statue; it's just a fun joke for fans of British sci-fi to discover. But just in case, I'd avoid looking too closely at the statue's eyes. Trust me on this one; I'm doing you a favor.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Baron Von Evil Satan said:
I find this besmirchment of the name of awesome that is Doctor Who to be unacceptable. Where's Annon. when you need them?
Moffat already weakened them. Though this is an affront.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Blink is still the scariest Doctor Who episode, ever.

Seriously, the weeping angels scared the shit out of me.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I'm torn on this. On one hand it's satisfying to know all those Zynga zombies will be utterly confused by such an amazing reference. On the other is the Zynga zombies being subjected to something so awesome.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
I find this besmirchment of the name of awesome that is Doctor Who to be unacceptable. Where's Annon. when you need them?
Moffat didn't weaken them. He made them more powerful (basically any picture of an Angel has powers, and they can get "stuck" in your eyes), and that removed their menace and mystery. At least a bit. Now they're too overpowered.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Moffat didn't weaken them. He made them more powerful (basically any picture of an Angel has powers, and they can get "stuck" in your eyes), and that removed their menace and mystery. At least a bit. Now they're too overpowered.
Multiple meanings of the word "weaken," man.

The Flesh and Stone, etc. was like ten steps back from Blink. Kind of diminishes the effect of Zynga nicking them.

Though it does explain where the cracks in the Universe led.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
NO! No. No. Nonononononono. N.O.

These things should not be mixed. At all.

This is wrong, and everyone knows it (except the Zynga players, of course).

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Oh god, weeping angels are scaaarryyy o_O

Although they're not nearly as creepy in the new episodes... I swear the new series is F**king with a lot of the old Doctor Who facts and stuff =\

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Dr. Who's third season
Shame! Doctor is his (assumed) name. No abbreviations allowed.

And I suppose it should be said that it's the third season of the "new" Doctor Who series, since the old one started back in 1963.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
vrbtny said:
Blink is still the scariest Doctor Who episode, ever.

Seriously, the weeping angels scared the shit out of me.
Took the words out of my mouth. I have seen it about 20 times and it still isn't any less scary or amazing
Moffat is my hero. While Angels #2 isn't amazing, #1 can carry any number of inferior sequels. Apparently Sally Sparrow was going to be an Assistant, but she actually got catapulted into Hollywood! Which is a shame because maybe then we wouldn't have Amy making lovey eyes past her husband to this boy

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
He's not being literal, he means he weakened how awesome the angels are.

dee_dubs

Nov 8, 2007
Am I the only one that can see Zynga's evil plan here. By placing the Weeping Angels into people's farms, they ensure people can never take their eyes off their farms again. Players will have to stay on Farmville 24/7 or risk becoming their next victim.

While I'm not that thrilled at having one of the best new DW monsters made into a cheep reference in Farmville, I can't help thinking that it would be worth it if every time someone leaves that screen, the statue moves to a different place.

Feb 13, 2008
[HEADING=1]Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...[/HEADING]

Oh, big, big mistake. Really huge. Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a game. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a game.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Oh, big, big mistake. Really huge. Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a game. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a game.
Awesome!

Image of an angel people! Oh. and by the way. While you read this comment? You aren't looking at the Angel.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Cpt Corallis said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Awesome!

Image of an angel people! Oh. and by the way. While you read this comment? You aren't looking at the Angel.
Oh shi- *Sent back in time*

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
See what would really be awesome is when you close Frontierville the Angels feast on the energy of your livestock and makes them disappear...

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
i wouldn't do very well in the DW universe. every place i go i would have to "nuke it from orbit" before i landed as "its the only way to be sure" that something isnt going to eat you