Deadpool 2, Avatar 2, 3, 4 & 5, New X-Men Movies Release Dates

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Man, I so wish Avatar 2 would totally bomb at the box office, not because I hate Avatar, but just because I find this making 4 sequels at once to be, what's the word, totally full of hubris. It won't of course, but that would be something to watch.

Spakko

Oct 28, 2014
What the...?! Four Avatar sequels? Now this just baffles me. What else is there to show/tell?
Hmmm, now that I think about it...
Okay, there would be only one sequel but still!

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I do think Avatar was due for a sequel, but not four of the fuckers. However, simultaneous filming has worked before. LotR did it and those movies are pretty damn good.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
So Avatar is going to be the new Christmas triloigy ish (don't know what you called a five) since the Hobbit Triliogy then?

While I got an idea what The New Mutants will be about but what about Dark Phoenix? That will take place after Days of the Future Past?
I'm guessing it will be with the Apocalypse movie X-men squad. I want to say the Dark Phoneix will either be the last or second last movie wrapping up that whole early saga, with focus then fully shifting towards the future with the New Mutants but the planned release dates tells me they're planning to keep both balls in the air here for a fair while. Guess we'll see.

iconoclast xvii

Mar 3, 2017
Bindal said:
iconoclast xvii said:
Hawki said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Who gives a shit about Avatar?
Myself, and everyone else who made it one of the highest grossing movies ever.
Technically, that would be everyone who saw it. I can only speak for myself here, but I saw it, and it was pretty bland. I was more interested in figuring out why a planet covered in plants barely had any oxygen.
It's an alien planet - those plants don't have to follow the same biological rules as ours do. So they can indeed produce some other gas than oxygen. And the other lifeforms might breath that gas instead of oxygen.
Doesn't seem like too hard of a concept to me.
Oh, no, I wasn't saying it didn't make sense, or that it wasn't a hard concept to understand. I was just saying that I found that to be more interesting than the movie itself was. So, obviously, I really have no interest in a sequel.

Apr 5, 2008
Avatar 2, 11 years after the first. And strangely, still to this day the best 3D movie ever made.

Where's Gambit in that list? :( That's the only XMen movie I want to see.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Fuck Avatar, and fuck all the X-Men films - apart from those that thumb their nose at the 'continuity' like The Wolverine, and, apparently, Logan.

Haven't seen Deadpool either, yet, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about a sequel. Nonplussed or mildly interested, most likely.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
If all four Avatar movies are filmed at the same time, wouldn't the fourth movie look like ass by the time it's released in 2025?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
KingsGambit said:
Where's Gambit in that list?
From what I could find, there's no ETA for its release date, only the confirmation that it's in development.
KingsGambit said:
Avatar 2, 11 years after the first. And strangely, still to this day the best 3D movie ever made.
Much as I like Avatar, I'd put Hugo above it as far as 3D movies go (seriously, how do you define a "3D movie anyway?"). There's a lot of things I like about Avatar, but its 3D was just the icing on the cake.

Though if we're talking about films seen in 3D, if not necessarily 3D movies, I have only one word - "Gravity." Specifically at Imax.

Darth Rosenberg said:
Fuck Avatar, and fuck all the X-Men films - apart from those that thumb their nose at the 'continuity' like The Wolverine, and, apparently, Logan.

Haven't seen Deadpool either, yet, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about a sequel. Nonplussed or mildly interested, most likely.
Much as I despise Deadpool, if thumbing continuity is a plus for you, you should like it. The film pokes fun at the films' continutiy, or rather lack of it.
Johnny Novgorod said:
If all four Avatar movies are filmed at the same time, wouldn't the fourth movie look like ass by the time it's released in 2025?
I don't think CGI evolves that fast. And there's plenty of older films whose CGI still holds up anyway (e.g. Jurassic Park).

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
oh great. i have always wanted to see another avatar movie. like the first one wasnt unpredictable at all. i dont know what is there to expand on. the story was so cliche riddled i already knew the entire movie after 10 min of watching it.

the only movie im looking forward to is deadpool.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Have any cinematic universes besides Marvel borne fruit?
Holywood keeps threatening us with them, but they don't take off.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
I'd just like to add something that just occurred to me - we're getting 4 sequels to a movie that barely anybody cares for but we can't get Hellboy 3. Some justice, huh?
I know right? Where's the John Carter 2, or the Frostbite movie?

Ok, those franchises didn't rake in the money, so that might be a reason, but grumble grumble.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Souplex said:
Have any cinematic universes besides Marvel borne fruit?
Holywood keeps threatening us with them, but they don't take off.
For the sake of argument, I'll define a cinematic universe as:

"A shared franchise with shared continuity, with films as the primary medium, whose films don't share uniform titles or subtitles, and can be regarded as independent products despite said shared continuity."

That's not the best definition in the world, but by said definiton, we have:

-Universal Monsters (1931-1951)
-X-Men Cinematic Universe (2003-present)
-Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008-present)
-DC Extended Universe (2013-present)

There are others gestating (e.g. the "Monsterverse," and Universal's second attempt at their own Monsterverse (seriously, there's going to be two film franchises based around monsters?)), but it's too early to call as to whether they'll be a success. I did include the DCEU there, because regardless of what people think, it is a success as far as box office gross goes. We're guaranteed to get two more movies at the very least, so I'd say it counts.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Oy vey. Look. Saying you have 5 more films in a franchise usuallly means that you have noideas. Especially since your first film was Dances with Wolves. Avatar was neither very deep, nor very thrilling. It was just a mediocre story with some very pretty visuals. Visuals thta have been done to death now.

MInd you, credit where credit is due but, we've seen better than that now and I don't think you can stretch grade school eco evangelizing over 4 more films. Hell very few franchises make it past 3 parts and manage to actually take themselves seriously. THose that do...tend to suck ass.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Honestly, I think the setting of Avatar COULD be used to tell more stories... But the level of writing was such that I have no hope these will be stories worth telling.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
I think the first Avatar film only really did as well as it did because of the 3-D, which was novel for it's time, but now 3-D has been done to death in films and people are getting sick of it, so I don't know if the sequels will be nearly as succesful. Also not a whole lot of people actually remember the first film all that well, and those that do remember it mostly for the 3-D(and the over-the-top environmentalist themes that made Captain Planet look restrained by comparison), when Avatar 2 comes out it will be over a decade since the first film's release, so I have to wonder if anyone will even give a damn by that point, it's been so long since the first film that any hype the sequels may have had has died down considerably.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Adam Jensen said:
I'd just like to add something that just occurred to me - we're getting 4 sequels to a movie that barely anybody cares for but we can't get Hellboy 3. Some justice, huh?
Tell me about it. I still want to James Cameron to make that battle Angel Alita movie, but Robert Rodriguez is directing it now. Avatar was just a mediocre movie with pretty special effects and that's it. I've seen environmentalism done better in Princess Monoke, Sonic CD and FernGully. And when FernGully doesn't better than you you know you have problems. Then again, they are more subtle and nowhere near that condensending compared to Avatar. I can't believe some critics and audiences for calling this movie innovative. I kept thinking to myself what the hell are they talking about?

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
This is not even talking about how good the movies are going to be, but why should I (the audience) be excited for Avatar 2 when there will be 3 more of those after the second one anyway?

Are you trying to not get me invested in the story?