Deadpool Already Has a Sequel in The Works

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Happyninja42 said:
Yeah, I saw an interview of Ryan's, when a friend introduced him to the comic book years ago. And...I think in the comic itself(?), or maybe the creator said this, I'm not sure, but Ryan said that Deadpool was described as "Ryan Reynolds crossed with a mutant Sharpei". So he was immediately interested in the character, when even the creator said the character had a bit of Ryan in it. xD
Yeah, it apparently actually is writen in a comic. And it does fit. I was one of those people who thought he's work in the role.

Unlike, say, when he was set to star in that Highlander reboot that probably isn't happening anymore.
Ugh, yeah, I'd rather not have him in a Highlander movie. I'd like them to maybe, oh, I dunno, get an actual Scotsman to play the iconic character. xD Having a Scotsman playing an Egyptian who is pretending to be Spanish, while a Frenchman plays a Scotsman. As much as I support the idea of "you pick the best actor for a role, and not base it on how accurate they are in real life to the character" that amount of twisting has always amused me.

He's a great Deadpool though.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
Now how long till DC releases a Lobo movie to keep up?
I don't believe DC and Warner Bros. could do a proper Lobo movie correctly, let alone any DC movie correctly; although the upcoming "Batman vs Superman" movie might prove me wrong.

I highly doubt that, though.
I think they're thinking the Suicide Squad flick will be their answer to this, though I would love a Lobo film. Introduce him as the antagonist in the opening scene of GLC and spin him off from there I say.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Ugh, yeah, I'd rather not have him in a Highlander movie. I'd like them to maybe, oh, I dunno, get an actual Scotsman to play the iconic character. xD Having a Scotsman playing an Egyptian who is pretending to be Spanish, while a Frenchman plays a Scotsman. As much as I support the idea of "you pick the best actor for a role, and not base it on how accurate they are in real life to the character" that amount of twisting has always amused me.

I wouldn't mind if they had a non-Scot playing him, but...Ryan Reynolds.

No, just...no. He was made to play Deadpool, but neither MacLeod is Deadpool.

And yes, casting Connery as an Egyptian who advised the Spanish King in a movie about a Scottish hero amused the fuck out of me.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
SirSullymore said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
Now how long till DC releases a Lobo movie to keep up?
I don't believe DC and Warner Bros. could do a proper Lobo movie correctly, let alone any DC movie correctly; although the upcoming "Batman vs Superman" movie might prove me wrong.

I highly doubt that, though.
I think they're thinking the Suicide Squad flick will be their answer to this, though I would love a Lobo film. Introduce him as the antagonist in the opening scene of GLC and spin him off from there I say.
Personally, I think it's more hype than actual substance, but time will tell. MARVEL and Fox seem to have a better formula going for them than DC and Warner Bros. do. Maybe they can find a winner in of of the two films.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Happyninja42 said:

I wouldn't mind if they had a non-Scot playing him, but...Ryan Reynolds.

No, just...no. He was made to play Deadpool, but neither MacLeod is Deadpool.

And yes, casting Connery as an Egyptian who advised the Spanish King in a movie about a Scottish hero amused the fuck out of me.
Oh I wouldn't mind if they had a non-Scot either, like I said, I don't hold to the viewpoint that the actor has to actually be the character they are playing. But I'd like it if only for the authentic accent part. Listening to Christopher Lambert butcher..whatever the fuck that accent was he was sporting in that movie, hurt my ears. And given how distinct the Scottish accent is, it would be nice to have someone who can actually pull it off naturally. But if the best actor is someone non-Scottish, that's fine by me. I'd rather have that, than someone who is terrible for the role, and butchers the remake. Though honestly, a remake is probably going to be terrible no matter how you slice it. hahah! sword joke!

But yeah, I remember when I first heard the idea of having Ryan as Deadpool. Even knowing next to nothing about Deadpool, I was like "Yeah, ok that fits just fine. I support this idea." I was glad to see it worked out so well in the movie. I'm not sure if I'll go see it again? It didn't really have a lot of replayability for me with it's humor. But it was a damn fun 2 hours while I was there, and I will see the sequel for sure.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Oh I wouldn't mind if they had a non-Scot either, like I said, I don't hold to the viewpoint that the actor has to actually be the character they are playing. But I'd like it if only for the authentic accent part. Listening to Christopher Lambert butcher..whatever the fuck that accent was he was sporting in that movie, hurt my ears. And given how distinct the Scottish accent is, it would be nice to have someone who can actually pull it off naturally. But if the best actor is someone non-Scottish, that's fine by me. I'd rather have that, than someone who is terrible for the role, and butchers the remake. Though honestly, a remake is probably going to be terrible no matter how you slice it. hahah! sword joke!
I think the bigger worry is they went from the guy behind Iron Man 2 (okay movie) to the woman behind Twilight for a screenplay. Reynolds might be tolerable in that role, but with that screenwriter? I don't think Lambert and Paul could save the movie.

But yeah, half the time when someone does a "Scottish" accent is sounds like a bad Shrek impression. If they don't hire a Scottish actor, they should probably just have him speak with an English accent like pretty much every foreign immortal that isn't Japanese.

But yeah, I remember when I first heard the idea of having Ryan as Deadpool. Even knowing next to nothing about Deadpool, I was like "Yeah, ok that fits just fine. I support this idea." I was glad to see it worked out so well in the movie. I'm not sure if I'll go see it again? It didn't really have a lot of replayability for me with it's humor. But it was a damn fun 2 hours while I was there, and I will see the sequel for sure.
It'll be interesting to see how the movie plays out long-term. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a movie that only works the first time you see it, but I'm cuious as to how that works for people.

I had sort of a similar problem with the Deadpool game. A friend of mine loaned me it back on the 360, and I thought it was a fun and somewhat underrated game. When it was brought back, I picked it up on PC, and...

Well, the humour doesn't quite carry it the second time around. And then, if you want the best stuff, you have to grind, so you end up hearing so many of the one-liners over and over and it's just "make it stop! Please, god, make it stop!"

But I had fun playing it, and I don't regret paying a sale price for a game I'd essentially already enjoyed for free (legally, mind). It doesn't make it bad, it's just that I'm not likely to be dusting it off for old time's sake or anything.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something Amyss said:
It'll be interesting to see how the movie plays out long-term. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a movie that only works the first time you see it, but I'm cuious as to how that works for people.

I had sort of a similar problem with the Deadpool game. A friend of mine loaned me it back on the 360, and I thought it was a fun and somewhat underrated game. When it was brought back, I picked it up on PC, and...

Well, the humour doesn't quite carry it the second time around. And then, if you want the best stuff, you have to grind, so you end up hearing so many of the one-liners over and over and it's just "make it stop! Please, god, make it stop!"

But I had fun playing it, and I don't regret paying a sale price for a game I'd essentially already enjoyed for free (legally, mind). It doesn't make it bad, it's just that I'm not likely to be dusting it off for old time's sake or anything.
Yeah, I think the series of movies will probably do well. Since Deadpool by design is a pop culture mouthpiece, he can always be kept topical. I think it just depends on how long people enjoy poking fun at superhero movies. And honestly, given how many parody things are out there along the same lines, it will probably have a long shelf life. Or at least I think it will. For all I know, people will get tired of DP by next movie, but given the popularity of the character in general, I doubt it. We like superhero movies, we like sarcastic comedies, I figure we'll enjoy sarcastic superhero comedies just as much. xD

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Well, looks like Fox has taken notice:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/it-begins-fox-says-wolverine-3-will-be-rated-r-1759434090

So it begins

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Aiddon said:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/it-begins-fox-says-wolverine-3-will-be-rated-r-1759434090

So it begins
That I can get behind, Wolverine, Constantine, Jonah Hex, there's a lot of comic characters that could benefit from an R rating. Look what it did for Daredevil and Jess Jones.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
SirSullymore said:
Aiddon said:

So it begins
That I can get behind, Wolverine, Constantine, Jonah Hex, there's a lot of comic characters that could benefit from an R rating. Look what it did for Daredevil and Jess Jones.
Exactly. The problem is there are a lot of properties ripe for adaptation that are just sitting there because most studios are scared of an R-rating scaring away money. DC's Vertigo line alone has TONS of titles I'd love to see get adaptations like Astro City, Y: The Last Man, and Swamp Thing.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Aiddon said:
SirSullymore said:
Aiddon said:

So it begins
Exactly. The problem is there are a lot of properties ripe for adaptation that are just sitting there because most studios are scared of an R-rating scaring away money. DC's Vertigo line alone has TONS of titles I'd love to see get adaptations like Astro City, Y: The Last Man, and Swamp Thing.
At the same time, I hope they realize that not every comic needs to be R-rated, though this shouldn't be too big of a problem. Some characters work great in an R rating. Others should never come near that rating with a 10-foot pole.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Yeah, I think the series of movies will probably do well. Since Deadpool by design is a pop culture mouthpiece, he can always be kept topical. I think it just depends on how long people enjoy poking fun at superhero movies. And honestly, given how many parody things are out there along the same lines, it will probably have a long shelf life. Or at least I think it will. For all I know, people will get tired of DP by next movie, but given the popularity of the character in general, I doubt it. We like superhero movies, we like sarcastic comedies, I figure we'll enjoy sarcastic superhero comedies just as much. xD
Especially since people have been complaining about the glut of superhero movies for years with no sign of stopping.

Aiddon said:
It's going to be interesting to see where this takes us. Wolverine is a child favourite, and not for the same reasons as Deadpool, so this may hurt ticket sales. And they may take the wrong message from that. I see parents less likely to their their kids to an R-Rated Wolverine movie than Deadpool.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Something Amyss said:
It's going to be interesting to see where this takes us. Wolverine is a child favourite, and not for the same reasons as Deadpool, so this may hurt ticket sales. And they may take the wrong message from that. I see parents less likely to their their kids to an R-Rated Wolverine movie than Deadpool.
Wolverine's still a 'good guy', though. It's just less thematically appropriate for him to slice someone's head off than it is for Deadpool to do the same. Both would be R rated scenes but it would make less sense for Wolverine to be running people over with zambonies.
I suppose my point is that I'm hoping the powahs-that-be won't make an R-rated Wolverine movie just because Deadpool got one and did well in it.
As for Deadpool' sequels, we must remember the cardinal rule of every comic character: They need straight men to play off of to be successful. Deadpool running amok on his own disemboweling bad guys is less fun than Deadpool and Colossus running about and arguing about whether or not disembowelings are morally valid. Cable would ideally fill that slot and do it well if Marvel's willing to let one of their icons get his first appearance on a relatively niche character as Deadpool.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Silverbeard said:
I suppose my point is that I'm hoping the powahs-that-be won't make an R-rated Wolverine movie just because Deadpool got one and did well in it.
Oh-kay, but that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said, so...?

The specifics of why the movie is R-Rated are irrelevant to me. Or even whether they did this because Deadpool was bank. For the record, I don't believe the latter, because they would have had to go to some pretty big expense to start promoting it two days after the premiere. But that doesn't matter. This could be directly because of Deadpool or completely unrelated. Point remains that for some reason, this movie will be R-Rated and stands to make less money f the kid base isn't seeing it. For some reason, people were still taking their kids to see Deadpool. I suspect that reason is that he's played up like a cartoon character.

I also suspect that, given what we see in the more "R-Rated" comics, an R-Rated Wolverine will be pretty brutal, even if nobody is run over with a Zamboni.