Dear Bethesda...

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Dear Bethesda, publisher of Dishonored (and I'm sure a few other things):

You really needed to have considered the music you used for your advertisement for Dishonored. I watch a fair bit of online videos, and even go watch the archives of old series, like There Will be Brawl (created by Zach Grafton and presented by the professionals at The Escapist Magazine), and I have to say, you made a really really bad choice in music.

Now, I thought your game looked cool; like a first-person Assassin's Creed. I was, for lack of a better word, interested in what you had to offer. But, after watching it for the 20th time in an hour and a half, I have to say I hate your game your little dog too. Y'see now, I have to go build a ship and then flip it upside down at sunset just to escape "these dull drums". I'm not going to buy your game no matter how cool you make it look, because like Pavlov's lab assistant, I go into a painful seizure every time I hear that riff "nyeeer bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim nyeeerSCRAAAAAATCH". Over and over... over and over...

In other words: Your music's bad and you should feel bad.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
what? (an example would be helpful)

so essentially what I'm seeing here is

"I'm not going to buy your game for a pretty and silly reason"

well done!

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
To be honest the music don't usually bother me and if it does it normally have a option to turn the music off.
If you really let such thing bother you, then is you loss.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Vault101 said:
what? (an example would be helpful)

so essentially what I'm seeing here is

"I'm not going to buy your game for a pretty and silly reason"

well done!
Stellar summary.

I'm not sure if what the OP is referring to is actually a part of the game's soundtrack or just a part of the trailer, but either way, that's a strange reason to deny yourself a (presumably) awesome game.

Vor Yang

Nov 1, 2011
Care to post the video or a link so others can figure out what your going on about?
From the trailers and stuff I've seen about Dishonored, I've found most of the music enjoyable or meh at most.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Why are you blaming Bethesda for the trailer?

Shouldn't you be mad at... the people who made the game and probably made the trailer?

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Why yes, it is a very pretty reason, Vault. And an example of what? An example of the other games Bethesda has published? An example of other online shows I watch as presented by the professionals at The Escapist? An example of other things I hate for the tiny bad choices made by the production company?
...an example of poor grammar in forum posts?

Oh! An example of the music I'm talking about. Well, it's the ad in front of all the videos I've been catching up on, without fail, with no other advertisements to break the flow. But everyone else just might be seeing a different ad.

I couldn't find an exact match, but the closest is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSc4uBc3nQ
The short ad I've been seeing over and over and over starts at 0:30, plays that music until what you hear at 0:50 then ends the thing with a horrible screeching guitar noise. Oh, and you don't hear the gameplay sounds like you do in the youtube video. Basically, the ad in front of all of these videos is that dull beat over and over, no children's voice or anything until the end when it suddenly screeches at you.

Edit:
No, Sajuuk, I'm not upset with the game Designers: Arkane Studios. They only made the game and are reliant upon big publishing companies to get their game out to the consumer. One of the jobs of a publisher is to handle marketing of a product.

Vor Yang

Nov 1, 2011
I'm failing to see a problem with the music.
To me it really seems to set the mood for the game.. but I guess everyone is different.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Pebkio said:

You really needed to have considered the music you used for your advertisement for Dishonored. I watch a fair bit of online videos, and even go watch the archives of old series, like There Will be Brawl (created by Zach Grafton and presented by the professionals at The Escapist Magazine), and I have to say, you made a really really bad choice in music.

Now, I thought your game looked cool; like a first-person Assassin's Creed. I was, for lack of a better word, interested in what you had to offer. But, after watching it for the 20th time in an hour and a half, I have to say I hate your game your little dog too. Y'see now, I have to go build a ship and then flip it upside down at sunset just to escape "these dull drums". I'm not going to buy your game no matter how cool you make it look, because like Pavlov's lab assistant, I go into a painful seizure every time I hear that riff "nyeeer bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim nyeeerSCRAAAAAATCH". Over and over... over and over...

I guess he accidentally wrote this letter in the wrong textbox, especially since he refers to the Escapist as if he isn't here. Bethesda probably knows what he's talking about.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Dusty Pancakes said:
I guess he accidentally wrote this letter in the wrong textbox, especially since he refers to the Escapist as if he isn't here. Bethesda probably knows what he's talking about.
Yeah, and can you believe that Dusty didn't pick up on the tone of the letter. What was up with him typing in all green about, anyway?

Vor Yang said:
To me it really seems to set the mood for the game.. but I guess everyone is different.
That's what I thought too... and then I heard it over and over. That 20 seconds I pointed out earlier. The point, here, is that you can have the perfectly-fittingest music for your game ever, but if it is a rough bit, best for when actually playing, you can end up with people getting a headache.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
You might just win "nonsense of the week" award with this thread.
So you watched the trailers or whatever for so long you burned out on them and now we blame Bethesda..., do you also binge on chocolate till you get sick and then blame the guys who made it?

That is a strange hobby to have.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Can you link a video of one of these ads so we know what music you're talking about.

Otherwise we have no idea what you're problem is beyond, "I heard some music in an ad and I didn't like it."

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Just watched the video, what the hell is wrong with the music? I think its just fine, i mean after watching all these other video trailers with this dubstep crap (Which i do not like) i welcome this music with open arms and a cuppa tea.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Pebkio said:
Dusty Pancakes said:
Yeah, and can you believe that Dusty didn't pick up on the tone of the letter. What was up with him typing in all green about, anyway?
Oh, don't worry, I picked up on the tone of the letter. And besides, I'm sure you can deal with a little bit of subjectively bad music--
Just watched the video, what the hell is wrong with the music? I think its just fine, i mean after watching all these other video trailers
The music is pretty good, sets the mood of the game very well.
Defiantly considering picking this one up.
--compared to what Bethesda manages to pull off, namely Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. Granted, you could probably find a bone to pick with anything, i.e. typing in green, but that's a very negative outlook on life and probably not too healthy. But hey, each to his own, right?
Oh yes, I do remember that Bethesda didn't actually make the game and just published it, but you're complaining about the music from their marketing so you hopefully won't worry about that.
[sub]You probably will though...[/sub]

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Doldrums. Doldrums! DOLDRUMS!!! Noun:
Low spirits; a feeling of boredom or depression: "color catalogs will rid you of February doldrums".
A period of inactivity or a state of stagnation: "the mortgage market has been in the doldrums for three years".

Not "Dull drums..." for the love of the sea!

Secondly, what??? How does that music not fit the trailer? Even the guitar reverb is simply the percussion for the sea shanty. You can't have a sea shanty without steady, rhythmic bass, speaking of drums, and these were nothing near dull. Listen to a good sea shanty while you work, and tell me you didn't get the job done in half the time!

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
Pebkio said:
Why yes, it is a very pretty reason, Vault. And an example of what? An example of the other games Bethesda has published? An example of other online shows I watch as presented by the professionals at The Escapist? An example of other things I hate for the tiny bad choices made by the production company?
...an example of poor grammar in forum posts?

Oh! An example of the music I'm talking about. Well, it's the ad in front of all the videos I've been catching up on, without fail, with no other advertisements to break the flow. But everyone else just might be seeing a different ad.

I couldn't find an exact match, but the closest is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSc4uBc3nQ
The short ad I've been seeing over and over and over starts at 0:30, plays that music until what you hear at 0:50 then ends the thing with a horrible screeching guitar noise. Oh, and you don't hear the gameplay sounds like you do in the youtube video. Basically, the ad in front of all of these videos is that dull beat over and over, no children's voice or anything until the end when it suddenly screeches at you.

Edit:
No, Sajuuk, I'm not upset with the game Designers: Arkane Studios. They only made the game and are reliant upon big publishing companies to get their game out to the consumer. One of the jobs of a publisher is to handle marketing of a product.
Think you might want to get off the ganja there bud, I'm not seeing anything wrong with this at all, the music is fine/acceptable/standard for the context its being presented in

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Pebkio said:
And quite like literally everyone else on this thread, I am not seeing the problem with the music you are.

It fits quite well IMO.

And how exactly do you know that Arkane didn't make the trailer themselves? the answer is you dont.

You have literally zero idea about who created the trailer, or why they chose they music they did, only that Bethesda, as the publisher, is the one who put it out there.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Pebkio said:

Arkane Studios are the Devs for this game and the ones you should be complaining to. Bethesda just distributes the content, Arkane created the trailer.

The music of the... Lets call the music Drunken Whaler, suits the game (a alternate Victorian universe run on magical whale oil) very well.