Dear Bethesda...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Pebkio said:
Dear Bethesda, publisher of Dishonored (and I'm sure a few other things):

You really needed to have considered the music you used for your advertisement for Dishonored. I watch a fair bit of online videos, and even go watch the archives of old series, like There Will be Brawl (created by Zach Grafton and presented by the professionals at The Escapist Magazine), and I have to say, you made a really really bad choice in music.

Now, I thought your game looked cool; like a first-person Assassin's Creed. I was, for lack of a better word, interested in what you had to offer. But, after watching it for the 20th time in an hour and a half, I have to say I hate your game your little dog too. Y'see now, I have to go build a ship and then flip it upside down at sunset just to escape "these dull drums". I'm not going to buy your game no matter how cool you make it look, because like Pavlov's lab assistant, I go into a painful seizure every time I hear that riff "nyeeer bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim nyeeerSCRAAAAAATCH". Over and over... over and over...

In other words: Your music's bad and you should feel bad.
I think you'll find that most trailer music is composed by external companies and rarely has anything to do with the development team or the in-game musical composers. Since trailers are often available long before the game is finished I doubt the in-game soundtrack is even fully realised by the time you see the trailer anyway.

Some trailers really do very little as an overall representation of the game. Especially when you look at the recent OverStrike/Fuse issue.

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
"What will we do with a drunken whaler
Feed him to the hungry rats for dinner..."

Seems pretty dark and fitting for the game, which looks AWESOME!, by the way.
I'm confused, OP.

So confused.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I get the feeling that OP is either being disingenuous, or trolling like a boss, possibly both.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Pebkio said:
I couldn't find an exact match, but the closest is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSc4uBc3nQ
The short ad I've been seeing over and over and over starts at 0:30, plays that music until what you hear at 0:50 then ends the thing with a horrible screeching guitar noise. Oh, and you don't hear the gameplay sounds like you do in the youtube video. Basically, the ad in front of all of these videos is that dull beat over and over, no children's voice or anything until the end when it suddenly screeches at you.
So... you just linked one of my favourite musical trailers?
Oh I see, you don't like the backing track they used in this specific trailer, and that'll put you off the whole game... Huh.

Also, to echo everyone else, Bethesda are just the publishers of this, not the developers. It's likely that the whole trailer was managed by a marketing firm anyway, but still...

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Pebkio said:
"nyeeer bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim nyeeerSCRAAAAAATCH".
Mhmm.

I know exactly what you're talking about here. Those bom bim bom bim boms are a pain in the ass and hurt my ears.

Actualy I don't know what you're talking about, and the instruments in the trailer are acceptable to me. Also it's just a trailer that has music that won't even exist in the game.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Just out of interest, do all you people who start threads with "Dear *publisher/developer here*" actually send emails or letters to the publisher/developer in question?
I really hope so. As if Bethesda's inbox wasn't already filled to the brim with this kind of nonsense as it is. I suppose they deserve it for all the bugs they make us put up with :p

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Zhukov said:
Can you link a video of one of these ads so we know what music you're talking about.

Otherwise we have no idea what you're problem is beyond, "I heard some music in an ad and I didn't like it."
This. You can't just make random appeals to "that dishonoured trailer" and assume everyone has, for some reason, seen it and also knows exactly what you're talking about and remembers the music.

This really shouldn't need to be stated.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Fappy said:
Just out of interest, do all you people who start threads with "Dear *publisher/developer here*" actually send emails or letters to the publisher/developer in question?
I really hope so. As if Bethesda's inbox wasn't already filled to the brim with this kind of nonsense as it is. I suppose they deserve it for all the bugs they make us put up with :p
Probably the same people who send me all those emails saying that I've been selling my Blizzard account and that I should send them my password so I don't get it locked.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Dusty Pancakes said:
Fappy said:
Probably the same people who send me all those emails saying that I've been selling my Blizzard account and that I should send them my password so I don't get it locked.
I almost fell for a key-logger scam with my GW2 account the other week. I was about to click the link out of curiosity and nearly slapped myself when I realized what I was about to do.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Does anyone know if the lady at 1:40 in the posted video is the murdered Empress you were suppose to protect? If so, it looks like that young child is the heir.

Interesting...

And I am not by any means an animal activist (my coat is made of real fur and my other one is made of leather) but seeing those whales made me sad. ):

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
So, I watched that trailer linked earlier in the thread... and now I'm pretty excited for the game. I was maintaining an interest level of 'slightly above normal', but that looked pretty damn interesting. And honestly, the music? I didn't even notice what the OP apparently considers to be a 'screeching guitar noise'. I thought it complemented what I was seeing fairly nicely.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
Dear Bethesda,

Flark purb bobble greep!

How do you like it?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fappy said:
Dear Bethesda,

Flark purb bobble greep!

How do you like it?
I'd hope they respond to these kinds of emails with M'aiq the Liar logic.

:D

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
What is this game and where can I buy it?

Seriously that trailer is awesome and the music is perfect for it

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Tastes vary and hating the sound of a game is a valid reason for not wanting it, if it grates your not going to have fun. Another audio example would be the voice work in the original "Two Worlds". It could be the best game in the world... but OMG...

That said I'm guessing the OP is in a minority when it comes to the soundtrack of Dishonored that we've seen so far. I don't think it's especially good, but it's not that grating to me either.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
A large portion of this issue is with advertising. Escapist, in particular. Try to mix up your online vids and you'll see the same drab ad less.

Dishonored could have sounds of stones being dropped in a pond for music all game long and it wouldn't stop me from buying it.