Dear Escapist: Board looks even uglier. Please fix.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
The user headers take up an awful lot of space, and the most-used buttons being at the top of the post instead of the bottom is going to be a nightmare for ingrained habits.

Otherwise, I rather like it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Just a reminder, folks. You're absolutely allowed to say you don't like the new design, and you're encouraged to offer constructive criticism about what, if anything, you don't like. What you're not allowed to do is be a rude dick about it. Most of you seem to understand that just fine, and we do appreciate your feedback - especially as there seem to be some common themes in your complaints. But some of you apparently needed a reminder to disagree agreeably.

Carry on.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
The new forum looks a lot better. Good work escapist design guys.

More contrast on the user headers would be a good though, and moving the flag post button away from the quote button would save a lot of accidentally reported posts.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I was going to say something snaky but just remembered the mods dun like that unless you are hired help.....

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
This is most of the people here right now.

You will get used to it and move onto something else.

Personally I like it but that's just me.

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
I agree with OP, and the fact that he was suspended for this is a bad look for the site and its inability to take criticism.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Agreed with the OP, I really dislike the new layout and I absolutely cannot see how it was needed or an improvement in any way, some reasons being (copied from another post I made because I am lazy)
- I don't like the poster name being in a separate box from the avatar, it was momentarily confusing and now I simply find that it doesn't look as good.

- Ditto for moving the quote/reply/edit buttons to the top of the post, they were very noticeable and clear where they were, why move them?

- Biggest nip-pick of the bunch, but I just think avatars now look slightly off, not sure if its because they are larger, or because there is more empty space around them.

- in fact I just think the big-ass shiny grey bar is generally ugly the old layout felt much smaller and more sleek, the new one seems to be made to make everything unnecessarily large like whoever designed it had poor eyesight.

Also gotta love the Escapist suspending the OP for speaking his mind.

EDIT: thought of another
- why is Report" now "flag"? afraid that report sounds to hostile or something? its not really a huge issue, but I took me a second to find it and its yet another thing that didn't need to be changed.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
the grey bars need to be reworked, it bleeds the posts together and makes them hard to read, as it isn't evident if the bar goes with the post above or below it. It needs more distinction.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
A few people have mentioned a "toggle forum layout" button at the bottom, but I can't find it.... where is it specifically?

Edit: found it, never mind *derp*

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I think it's quite nice actually, i'm so sick of everyone getting annoyed at the changes... everyone gets used to it eventually and it's not even a problem.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Luna said:
I agree with OP, and the fact that he was suspended for this is a bad look for the site and its inability to take criticism.
It's been stated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that you need to disagree agreeably.

If you're snarky and abrasive, then you're breaking the catch-all "Don't be a Jerk" rule regardless of WHAT you're saying. Lots of people are criticizing it pleasantly, and there's no problems for them.

Jack was warned in the other thread to be nice, so he makes his own thread and snarks. What did you THINK would happen?

Seriously, have people forgotten the grand art of "tact"?

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
It doesn't really bother me. There are things that I could be getting upset about right now, but a forum changing its layout isn't one of them.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Not enjoying the changes Escapist. There was precisely nothing wrong with the former style. Adjusting to the new quote button position is going to be tedious and as mentioned earlier, having the report button a few pixels away is going to bite you in the arse.

But please for the love of all that is good and holy CAN YOU PLEASE SORT OUT THE BANNER ADVERTS ON EITHER SIDE OF THE BOARD. THEY ARE EATING UP THE SCREEN AND MAKING BROWSING THREAD PAGES ON BOTH DESKTOP AND MOBILE IMPOSSIBRU!!

Sorry to be obnoxious but I've complained about this problem for around a month with no success or response. If you can't fix it, I'm just gonna find somewhere else to post because this site is currently BROKEN. Adverts, even the obnoxiously obtrusive ones are bad but when they actually impede my ability to read and use the website, something has gone horribad.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
While I did like the old forum style, the new one fits with the rest of the site. So, for the sake of aesthetic integrity, I think we should keep it like this. I definitely like that the "reply" button now says "post." In my Escapist infancy, I'd thought that button would have me reply to the specific post. When I found that wasn't the case, I thought that was kind of dumb. So that's a nice change.

(Also, it's really an incredibly minor cosmetic difference, especially compared to the main site; it's not as if the way the forums work has been altered in any way.)
Overusedname said:
I want more blue. That's my only complaint.
Actually, yeah. The amount of grey on thread pages is kind of jarring given the blue theme is so ubiquitous throughout the rest of the site.