Dear Microsoft, can you please stop counting your money for a second

Aug 3, 2008
and please release another backwards compatibility update for the 360

Ok i just bought TimeSplitters2 for the original xbox in the hope that i might be able to play something else other than MW2 with my flat mates only to find out that its not backwards compatible. To add insult to injury the dashboard even says that the game in my drive is TS2 but won't let me run it.

Apparently the last update was back in 2007 so i'm not expecting another one any time soon, which infuriates me even more.

Anyone else had a similar problem with backwards compatibility?

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, I ran into that problem when I bought Deus Ex: Invisible War.

I highly doubt that MS will be doing any more backwards compatibility fixing.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
BG&E is like that as well, but it didn't really bother me.

Why should they? it won't make 'em any more money.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
i bought destroy all humans 2 for the origonal xbox but no backward compatability.

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
I'm not sure if they'd be able to implement full backwards compatability now.

Apr 28, 2008
Well considering the last update for backwards compatability was in november of 2007, not doing the xbox origionals thing anymore, and now stopping online support for all xbox origional games, I think its safe to say they abandoned it.

I nearly cried when Future Perfect didn't work :(

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
XMark said:
I thought I remember reading a news post where they said they weren't going to bother anymore.
I don't blame them.

I'm sure you can buy a used Xbox somewhere for crazy cheap, so I'd go do that.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
I guess what will be the prime motivator at this point is probably whether they plan to sell a specific game online. I'd like to see more backwards compatibility, but with brick-and-mortar pulling original xbox games to an extent it becomes less and less likely.

Look at it this way, though: increased computing power of one kind and another brings us closer to good full-function xbox original emulators for PC. If they won't fix it for us someone else will.

Apr 28, 2008
Baby Tea said:
XMark said:
I thought I remember reading a news post where they said they weren't going to bother anymore.
I don't blame them.

Yeah, but still its kind of lame when they say eventually they'll make all xbox games compatable, then stop about halfway through.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
That's why I'm on Sony's bandwagon, though...they admittedly have STOPPED making backwards compatibility...though the PS2 is something that almost everyone who's got a PS3 owns as well...so it's alright...plus at least you can go from PS2 or PS3 to the other and the controls are relatively the same ^^

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Irridium said:
Baby Tea said:
XMark said:
I don't blame them.

Yeah, but still its kind of lame when they say eventually they'll make all xbox games compatable, then stop about halfway through.
It's making them very little if any to make backwards compatibility, and uses a lot of their resources for the pittance. Micro$$$$oft for you.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Mehall said:
Bite the bullet, original XBox's are, like, £10-15
Don't be an idiot, an Xbox is that much now. Much more cost efficient.

Also, I refuse to buy a game twice because a product doesn't do something it claims to...

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
TheGreenManalishi said:
Mehall said:
Bite the bullet, original XBox's are, like, £10-15
Maybe in fantasy land. £20+
If you can find a GAME with one in stock in their stockroom, they're £9.98 (or were last time I checked, which was when I bought mine, and the website agrees)

Gamestation are £19.99, and that may even include a game. (Actually, just checked their website, and the web says £24.99 This doesn't mean the in store price isn't £19.99, but it might or might not be.)

Herb sewell

Mar 30, 2009
Still waiting for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance to be included. You know the version origianly made for the Xbox, that went platinum hit, that is the only entry in the wildly popular series availble for any microsoft console? you know that one? but no go ahead lets update for another racing simulator or generic shooter 2 the gunnening.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Baneat said:
It's making them very little if any to make backwards compatibility, and uses a lot of their resources for the pittance. Micro$$$$oft for you.
You mean 'Good business sense for you'?
Microsoft, like every other business, wants to make money. And spending major man-hours to make backwards compatibility work for a very minor and small part of the market that they'll never see money from is just good business sense. With such a small percentage of gamers wanting this, and that number just getting smaller, why waste the time and money?

You can't blame them for not wanting to throw money away.

x0ny

Dec 6, 2009
People who own a 360 or a PS3 are likely to own an xbox or a PS2 anyway. Besides aren't the consoles cheaper than games now?

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
I understand not continuing the backwards compatibility updates, but I assume timespltters 2 would be pretty important...