Dear Oblivion:

Meanmoose

Jan 20, 2009
Oblivion isn't hard at the beginning! Morrowind! Now that was challanging at the start. I mean those rats are really fucking dangerous in lvl 1.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I've never had a problem with the leveling in Oblivion, but I'm not a huge fan of level scaling either. Honestly I've never had any difficulty with it, in fact the only thing it's good for in Oblivion is getting you better weapons and armour to equip and cooler monsters.

It would get quite boring after a while if everytime you went through an Oblivion gate all you ran into were Stunted Scamp's and Clannfear runts.

Meanmoose said:
Oblivion isn't hard at the beginning! Morrowind! Now that was challanging at the start. I mean those rats are really fucking dangerous in lvl 1.
Or Cliffracers... Fucking hated those when I first started playing.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
At level 2 if you leveled the right ability's and picked up half-decent weapons and with a little (OK a LOT of) microing about to dodge hits etc you can decimate an entire town on the normal difficulty....
Turn down the difficulty please and someone get this thread locked or something or whatever you guys do around here - pointless thread is kinda pointless.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
Oblivions leveling kinda sucks, you have to either, level efficiently by getting +4 or +5 multipliers every level, just play normally and if the game gets to hard lower the difficulty.. or 'Underlevel' your character, so you stay at level 1 and max your skills, its kinda pointless because you 1 hit everything, but its an easy way to beat the game.

Or if your on the PC, download the mod 'Oblivion XP' which uses a simpler leveling system more akin to your Bioware RPGs.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Cridhe said:
I know I just started playing you recently, but is there any conceivable reason I should allow myself to go farther than level 1? You seem way too hard at level 2+.

Sincerely,
Cridhe
I won't be a mean person like most others and say "Hurr turn the difficulty down!" It is an option, it's what I did on my first character but in the end I still re-rolled.

When/If you do re-roll make a custom class (If you didn't already) and make sure you know what kind of weapon you are likely to use and see to it that it is definetely in the main seven, but don't put all of one attributes (i.e; Strength) in the main seven, keep out Hand to Hand or something and then when you are close to levelling spam a load of hand to hand kills, each point you get in it will give you a bigger boost to Stength when you level.

The main point is don't level too fast, or try not to anyway, wait until you know you'll get one of those tasty +5's or at least a +4 then level. it takes a while but it's well worth it, especially if you are doing the main story, some of the Oblivion gates are insane later on if you've levelled badly, and the last thing you want is to get toward the end after slogging through 50+ hours only to be insta-killed by a million Daedroths in the final few areas.

Hope this helps. (Also Stealth is stupidly broken, enemies are very stupid when it's a high level coupled with a good Agility stat and when you get to level 10 drop everything and do the Daedric Shrine quest that gives you the Skeleton Key; An unbreakable lock pick. So handy.)

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
GraveeKing said:
At level 2 if you leveled the right ability's and picked up half-decent weapons and with a little (OK a LOT of) microing about to dodge hits etc you can decimate an entire town on the normal difficulty....
Turn down the difficulty please and someone get this thread locked or something or whatever you guys do around here - pointless thread is kinda pointless.
I did that at level 1.
You/the game fails.
The game gets harder as you level up. With bandits wearing glass or daederic armor and carrying daederic weapons when you are level 15. You are supposed to get stronger than the rest when you level up not the other way around.
The only reason I went to level 2 was because I had to do some shitty daederic quest(You get an awesome item out of it but have to give it up).

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010

Eh, the monsters don't level above 35 or so.

So ... if you max out endurance ASAP, at level 50+ you're nigh invincible.

AND, you get to fight cool stuff, instead of lame-ass 1st level mosnters.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Well, upgrading your Sneak and Lockpick skills might be a good ide-

[spoiler/]
"STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!"​
[/spoiler]

...never mind.

Fortunately Skyrim's leveling system will be different, with no psychic guards to boot.
his eyes....dude whats up with his EYES???

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I find it odd... I've never had a problem with Oblivion and I usually play the much maligned major theif skills character. It puzzles me that people find it difficult to play. I can usually snipe things to death before they even get close to me and I'm not talking about kiting either. Especially later when you get the elven arrows, nasty. That's not me being a douche just never had a problem with it.

I know it's pretty much a fact the levelling system is broken though.

Kotep

Apr 3, 2011
Just download OOO or Francesco's. Suddenly levels make sense again.

(Also enemies don't scale 1:1 with your levels, your level determines the level of the encounter based off of a leveled list for most encounters so a level 4-7 character gets one specific set of enemies at a specific level, and so on as it scales up.

Plus if you stay at level 1 all you'll see is wolves and rats in the wild. No dreughs, no minotaurs, no cougars.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
If you want to have no troubles - max your endurance as fast as possible*... But without heavy mods like OOO** on normal difficulty every build is playable. And, o'course, spells of destruction and restoration + alchemy and LOTS of healing potions + (optional) Shield spells.

Shio

Jun 4, 2011
You mustn't be very good at the game. I had no such trouble leveling.