Dear Rockstar. What the hell?

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
SO what? Extra features in a game should be lorded. If you don't want to play multiplayer...
DON'T PLAY IT. It's not like it's very existence is hurting you is it? Because that would make this rant sane.

Fudj

May 1, 2008
I can see the reason for the dislike of adding MP to a previously single-player game, some games really don't need it and some are an obvious cash in! However if a games single player isnt harmed by it then i cant see an issue, what bugs me is when they do "tack-on" a MP aspect just for the hell of it.

ME3 is an example of a game which has had a MP added to it, for me it doesnt add anything, i dont play multiplayer at all, i like my gaming experience just to be me (unless playing local multiplayer with friends on games like Worms or Risk) but then people a plenty like the MP in ME3 and more power to them, its just not for me.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Holy shit! Extra free stuff to do after the story is over! SHOCK HORROR!

I like Rockstar's multiplayer. Stop your bitching. That's what this is. Not complaining.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Woodsey said:
The game's been in development for like 5 years, it's not like they haven't had time to round things out the way they wanted to. The single-player hasn't suffered because of it.

[sub]As you'd know if you read my user [a
href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.377354-Woodsey-Weviews-Max-Payne-3]user review[/a]... *cough*[/sub]

Hoplon said:
If there is a reasonable complaint about Max Payne 3 it's that the cut scenes are a waste of time. Yes he's a miserable ****, we get it, let me get the fuck on with the game.
Yeah, book-ending a level with cutscenes and maybe plopping one in the middle is fine. Attaching one to every fucking door is not necessary.
Yeah, that sounds a lot like Chapter 6 in the Branco building. At least they didn't do that migraine inducing hazy, static thing like in every other cutscene.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I'm quite enjoying gang wars and Payne Killer. Also they managed to employ Bullet time in Multiplayer in such a way that actually works so they deserve Kudos for that

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
RazadaMk2 said:
This...

Hmmm.

Imagine a fat guy on a diet in Starbucks. He orders a coffee. They give him a free cookie. He didn't want the cookie because he was there for a coffee, no more, no less. He didn't want the cookie because he didn't like cookies, he was on a diet and just wanted his coffee. So he starts raging in the face of the barista for giving him a free cookie he didn't want because HE WAS THERE JUST FOR A COFFEE, WHY ARE THEY GIVING HIM THINGS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS CORE COFFEE-BASED EXPERIENCE.

THAT is what this rage is like.
...I'll have the free cookie if he's not having it.

OT: Not seeing a problem here, if the base game wasn't any good you'd have a valid complaint about man-hours wasted but by all accounts Max Payne 3 isn't a bad game.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
You know why it has multiplayer?

Because the old MP games were going to have but they didn't have time to do it. There you see it was a logical thing to do. Done happy?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Senor Smoke21 said:
GundamSentinel said:
And does that work? It's balanced?
Sounds like it would be dead annoying for those not initiating it, but then I guess it pays to build it up and use it hah
Oh yes, it's quite well balanced as you can't use it that often. And there are other perks that can be more interesting than the bullet time one. (Especially the one that lets people think you're on their team. Dead useful with a shotgun in close quarters, you can clear out a room before they know what hit them.)

That said, anyone can use a slo-mo shootdodge, which can actually be just as fun for the person it's used against, trying to shoot someone out of the air who's in a slo-mo dive out the window. And knowing when and where to use it is an interesting tactical aspect. All told, I really like the way it's implemented.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
RazadaMk2 said:
This...

Hmmm.

Imagine a fat guy on a diet in Starbucks. He orders a coffee. They give him a free cookie. He didn't want the cookie because he was there for a coffee, no more, no less. He didn't want the cookie because he didn't like cookies, he was on a diet and just wanted his coffee. So he starts raging in the face of the barista for giving him a free cookie he didn't want because HE WAS THERE JUST FOR A COFFEE, WHY ARE THEY GIVING HIM THINGS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS CORE COFFEE-BASED EXPERIENCE.

Basically this, except I can accept the mans rage at getting a cookie. He can give it back and resolve his problem.

There is really no resolution to the OPs (very stupid) problem so has no reason to even kick up a fuss about it.

EDIT: also the OPs problems with Multiplayer are nowhere near as reasonable as your example man.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
PS3 version is one disc and has all of the pre-rendered HD cinematics.

PS3: Better for you, Better for the Environment.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Chairman Miaow said:
So you haven't even played it and are making conclusions? YAAAAY!
It's got bolt-on multiplayer. what more evidence do you need? The publisher went "here, put multiplayer into it because everyone else does, even though it adds fuck all to the game".
Newsflash: the industry has been headed in this direction for years, now. Something works? Tack multiplayer onto it. Hang around MMO communities and you'll find plenty of multiplayer-obsessed types who spit on single-player content because they're seriously missing their extra shot of nerd rage - I mean, competitive Human VS. Human gameplay.

Multiplayer isn't just a thing, anymore. It's more or less a standard, for good or ill.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
RazadaMk2 said:
This...

Hmmm.

Now, now, let's be fair.

It's like he was given the coffee and the free cookie, knowing he got the cookie, left, drove home/to work/to a zoo/amusement park/Statue of Liberty/Big Ben, started drinking his coffee, then got outraged over the inclusion of the cookie, and proceeded to call up Starbucks so that he could rage at the barista.

EDIT: I mean, I don't really have anything OT to add to this... most of the time, multi-player isn't even developed by the same teams working on the single-player. Regardless of my opinion on the inclusion of multi-player into games that don't need it, it's a ridiculous thing to get so worked up about.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
RazadaMk2 said:
Actually, the metaphor doesn't quite work.

He is not raging at the barista.

It is more he started drinking the coffee at some random landmark of your choice and then promptly began to accost random strangers (Us) about the horror of being given a free cookie.
You know, I thought about that, but I decided to merely expand from your metaphor.

[sub][sub]Which made me laugh, by the way.[/sub][/sub]

Colodomoko

Feb 22, 2008
Yeah, the multiplayer is pretty much tacked on and useless, don't see why anyone who enjoyed the first two would even bother playing it. I would say the multiplayer brought down the single player experience, but that's not usually the case for Rockstar. If you ever played the first two you pretty much know your in it for the gameplay; shooting up lots of baddies in bullet time and such. I will admit I think the still comic book narrations were bad ass, but after the first time you would pretty much skip them. Also to hell with anyone who spent $60 dollars on this and wasn't a reviewer. Even if the replayability of the single players gameplay is strong, you're best bet is to either rent this one or wait till it drops to like $20 dollars. In fact, if you don't have the first two, just go look for them in a bargain bin somewhere, you'll most likely get a lot more out of it for less money.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Eunjuay said:
Chairman Miaow said:
ResonanceSD said:
Chairman Miaow said:
So you haven't even played it and are making conclusions? YAAAAY!
It's got bolt-on multiplayer. what more evidence do you need? The publisher went "here, put multiplayer into it because everyone else does, even though it adds fuck all to the game".
Because ME3 multiplayer was completely destroyed by fans and critics alike after they actually played it wasn't it?

Yes, I also seem to recall no complaints about the ME3 single player after multiplayer was added.
I'm sorry, what? I thought we were talking about multiplayer?