Dear Users Complaining About Moderators

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I don't have a problem with the mods at all. Neither do I (necessarily) have a problem with the rules. I have a problem with the infraction system. I think it takes too long to go down one bar. 6 months for just one? I mean c'mon now.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
truckspond said:
Caliostro said:
Right, this seems... civil enough, so let's try something: If you have any questions for me post them as a reply to me (so I get a notification). I'm going to sleep now and I'll reply to what I can tomorrow. If anyone's interested that is.

Think of this as a small AMA I guess.
Have you ever considered adding exceptions to the "low content" rule for situations where such a short response can be easily justified by the topic at hand?
Low content rule is basically not a thing anymore and yes, we'd love for the CoC to be changed to address that.

So, yeah, there are currently "exceptions" to it -- basically because it's much less a thing than it's been in the past.

Even one-word responses can be okay if the thread is, like, "what's your favorite game" and you respond with "Game X."

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Marter said:
truckspond said:
Caliostro said:
Right, this seems... civil enough, so let's try something: If you have any questions for me post them as a reply to me (so I get a notification). I'm going to sleep now and I'll reply to what I can tomorrow. If anyone's interested that is.

Think of this as a small AMA I guess.
Have you ever considered adding exceptions to the "low content" rule for situations where such a short response can be easily justified by the topic at hand?
Low content rule is basically not a thing anymore and yes, we'd love for the CoC to be changed to address that.

So, yeah, there are currently "exceptions" to it -- basically because it's much less a thing than it's been in the past.

Even one-word responses can be okay if the thread is, like, "what's your favorite game" and you respond with "Game X."
But on the other end of the scale getting rid of the rule will result in a barrage of "FIRST!!11!" posts which you cannot do anything about. The rule can be weakened to just specifically disallow posts like that while allowing posts where such a short response is justifiable.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
I don't really see anything wrong with the mods on this site. I've been on numerous forums, and let me say, the mods on the forum are extremely lenient and fair. I've seen forums where the mod basically can't be challenged and people back them no matter what (i.e. suck up to them).

Every now and then the mods do something that probably could have been handled better, but that's to be expected with forums of this size and diversity. The most you could accuse the mods is how consistently inconsistent they can be: due to the size of the forums they seem to miss some posts but might catch others, which looks like they are being selective with who they punish.

I don't mind criticism of the mods, but I facepalm at people who act like they are being suppressed or something. :/

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Make me a mod and I'll show these users what real abuse looks like >:D

Have an opinion I don't agree with? Instant suspension and three spankings for you!

Is your name 'Daystar Clarion'? Instant ban and a lifetime of fart-torture (he may actually enjoy that)!

No, but seriously, most the people who complain about mod abuse just don't have a clue what tact is and don't realize when they are being a pretty obvious jerk.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Samael Barghest said:
I agree. You do abuse your power. I read an article about a spider and said I thought it was cool. Then I got a warning for it. No one could say why I got a warning, just some ass abusing his/her power.
I found that post. It was one word: "Cool". Even in a thread dominated by short, feces-related puns, that's low-content.

Aug 1, 2010
As much as I completely agree that pointless whining about moderators is silly, these times when the biggest users on the site sing their praises aren't really all that helpful.

It feels like a major executive in a company cheering for the board of directors of said company. I'm not saying you or anyone else is bad, just that it's an odd position.

Also, since you brought it up, I feel the need to complain about your complaint about complaints. Yeah, it's in the contract. What's your point? That doesn't mean everything in there is perfect and wonderful and correct.

Overall, yeah, the modding here is pretty excellent and serves to make it a better place, but criticism is often healthy.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
truckspond said:
But on the other end of the scale getting rid of the rule will result in a barrage of "FIRST!!11!" posts which you cannot do anything about. The rule can be weakened to just specifically disallow posts like that while allowing posts where such a short response is justifiable.
Yes, you're right. It doesn't need to be removed but it does need to be re-written for the way it currently functions.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Honestly, if someone asks what is your favourite game and you reply with something like "Persona 4" and nothing else, what does that add to the discussion? Why not explain why you like it, give actual insight to your answer, so I never saw a problem with posts like that getting warned.
I agree with you. But this isn't the world site in which we live anymore.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
As much as I completely agree that pointless whining about moderators is silly, these times when the biggest users on the site sing their praises aren't really all that helpful.

It feels like a major executive in a company cheering for the board of directors of said company. I'm not saying you or anyone else is bad, just that it's an odd position.
Not really. It shouldn't be surprising that the people who have been here the longest are the ones who work well with the mods and ruleset.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
lacktheknack said:
TLDR

;)

We really shouldn't have to have this kind of thread explaining how moderation works. I thought it was pretty clear when I first joined and now they make you sign "I AGREE" to the rules when they get changed. There is no excuse for coming into the Escapist Forums expecting to be able to do the things you do on other sites.

Bookmarked for future reference.

Thanks lack. I see you sticking up for the mods and the staff all the time. If I were you, I would just link this thread to the people who make you cringe in the future instead of getting drawn into the same tired conversation with them.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Eh, I'm just amused at how some people take being wrathed on an internet forum seriously.
Guys, if you get banned, ya know it's not the end of the world, right?

Anyway, my opinions on the moderation here can be summed up with a simple "Meh." I've seen shit that shouldn't be punished and I've seen shit that hasn't been punished but should've been. It's no skin off my nose though as, at the end of the day, it's an internet forum and everyone makes mistakes, even more so if the rules they have to keep are seemingly in constant flux. I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more important things to get worked up about and crusade about.

Like what I'm having for breakfast. :p

[sup]I had bacon sandwiches.
[sup][sup]They were delicious.[/sup][/sup][/sup]

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
...And this very thread demonstrates how people should read the rules before complaining. I mean come on, some guy directly calls other users (in this case mods) "asses", "twits" and "bitches" and then claims to be baffled about why he's getting warnings? Seriously?!

*headdesk*

Once again mods, I salute you. I'm not sure I'd be able to put up with this.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Fappy said:
Is your name 'Daystar Clarion'? Instant ban and a lifetime of fart-torture
10/10

I am 100% behind this plan.
Fappy 4 Mod 2014

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
truckspond said:
We do. Low content is about preventing people from spamming inane crap to up their post count, which in turn would result in topics bloated full of nothing for the sake of inflating a meaningless statistic. "+1!", "I agree", "FIRST!", etc. It was never about character count. If it was the staff probably could have simply installed something like the Steam forums have where it prevents you from posting if your topic has less than a certain number of characters.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Sassafrass!

I was about to go to sleep.
[sub][sub]BUT NOW I HAVE TO MAKE A BACON SANDWICH YOU CLEVER DEVIL[/sub][/sub]
Eh, I'm just amused at how some people take being wrathed on an internet forum seriously.
But how else will I be able to express my extreme displeasure of Bob Chipman's opinion of the week? Or better yet, Critical Miss making another _____ joke? That's easily as valuable as access to bacon, right?
[sub]The priorities of people on the internet have always baffled me.[/sub]

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Redlin5 said:
Sassafrass said:
Sassafrass!

I was about to go to sleep.
[sub][sub]BUT NOW I HAVE TO MAKE A BACON SANDWICH YOU CLEVER DEVIL[/sub][/sub]
But how else will I be able to express my extreme displeasure of Bob Chipman's opinion of the week? Or better yet, Critical Miss making another _____ joke? That's easily as valuable as access to bacon, right?
[sub]The priorities of people on the internet have always baffled me.[/sub]
I still have a plateful of bacon for lunch.
Delicious bacon, mmmmmmmmmmm.

And as for complaining, we haz teh Twitterz.
Or the Fac-E-Book. :D

Dec 14, 2009
Fappy said:

Have an opinion I don't agree with? Instant suspension and three spankings for you!

Is your name 'Daystar Clarion'? Instant ban and a lifetime of fart-torture (he may actually enjoy that)!

No, but seriously, most the people who complain about mod abuse just don't have a clue what tact is and don't realize when they are being a pretty obvious jerk.
Colour Scientist said:
Fappy said:
Is your name 'Daystar Clarion'? Instant ban and a lifetime of fart-torture
10/10

I am 100% behind this plan.
Fappy 4 Mod 2014
NAAAAAAOW!

Only bad things can happen when you two talk about me, you're never allowed in the same room, I won't permit it. Putting my foot down.