Deathwing Brings FPS Action To Games Workshop's Space Hulk

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Zykon TheLich said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Gamesworkshop better be careful, giving their game the subheading of "Deathwing" steps on Blizzard's copyright for their villain character named "Deathwing". (at least I think so)
shintakie10 said:
I was thinkin the same thing myself. Deathwing as a character has been around since at least 2000 in Blizzard lore.

Dunno how that exactly works legally, but it bein so prominent on the name of the game seems like it'd cause issues.
Unlikely, seeing as the original Deathwing came out in 1990 and the names refer to very different things.

OT: Hmmm...Cyanide eh? Not getting my hopes up, Blood Bowl had a lot of issues.
1990 eh? Yeah, that predates Warcraft Orcs and Humans by 4ish years so you're right. Shouldn't be an issue.
I'm always amazed so many people are under the impression GW rips off Blizzard all the time, considering starcraft and warcraft exist because Blizzard tried and failed to get a license from GW to produce their games, so made their own versions (no resemblance at all between marines and space marines, nids and zerg, protoss and eldar, nope).

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Oh, another Space Marine game. Sorry, the only power-armored humans I like in the 40K setting are the Sisters of Battle - who GW seem to have a grudge against since they all always die in official campaigns, still have pricey metal figures, and who's latest codex was released as small articles in two White Dwarf mags, but I'm getting off track. This looks interesting because of the survival horror vibe (and Cyanide), but I'll take an Imperial Guard (squad-based or X-COM like), SoB (same), or Inquisition (action-thriller?) game over more Space Marines any day.

Or if I have to have Space Marines at least give me the Grey Knights.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
TimeLord said:
Needs more Imperial Fists though!
My favorite chapter of the Space Marines. I normally don't like yellow, but it works for them. Reminds me of the Angry Marines.

And uh... these guys better get a good translator this time, EYE was incomprehensible to me. Had no idea what the fuck was happening or what powers were.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Some day I'd like there to be a Warhammer 40K game that had you playing as something besides a grizzled space marine.
I kinda agree and disagree. I agree because sure the SMs have become a sort of boring stock standard in 40k, but I also want more people trying because I haven't really seen one done right. I'd really like a Space Marine narrative starring fearless, fanatical monks spreading faith and purging the unclean across the galaxy framed in a Starship Troopers backdrop, using undertones and applicability to examine the good and bad of such a society. Or an Inquisition RPG by Obsidian. Either one.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
thaluikhain said:
Space Hulk was originally a turn based board game, making it into a FPS...dunno. Also, making a Space Hulk game just being about corridors and genestealers is also a bit dull, in the fluff hulks are much more interesting than that.
?
There already exists a Space Hulk tactical FPS from 1993; <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk:_Vengeance_of_the_Blood_Angels>Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels.

I've never seriously played the original "Space Hulk" or the WH40K tabletop game, but I was hooked to the precursor "Space Crusade" boardgame and have been a fan of the franchise ever since. I found that overall, video games in the WH40K universe turn out to be quite good. Dawn of War is excellent, and the two FPS I've played, "Vengeance of the Blood Angels" and "Space Marine" were both very good. The multiplayer in "Space Marine" is one of the few I actually enjoy, because it's slower paced, more tactical than twitchy.

I'm looking forward to this one. I was kind of hoping to see more of the Space Marine engine though. It's just a blast to play.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I have no idea about any of the WH40k universe, except that everything seems really cool, I heard a lot of good things about EYE, but also that it was a bit convoluted.

I have my 40k beat em' up (Space Marines was awesome!). Hopefully this'll give me a nice FPS.

Ninja_Bob117

May 7, 2013
This could work their was a left 4 dead 2 mod for it a while back http://www.moddb.com/mods/deathwing

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Zykon TheLich said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Gamesworkshop better be careful, giving their game the subheading of "Deathwing" steps on Blizzard's copyright for their villain character named "Deathwing". (at least I think so)
shintakie10 said:
I was thinkin the same thing myself. Deathwing as a character has been around since at least 2000 in Blizzard lore.

Dunno how that exactly works legally, but it bein so prominent on the name of the game seems like it'd cause issues.
Unlikely, seeing as the original Deathwing came out in 1990 and the names refer to very different things.
I'm actually surprised that GW hasn't popped a lawsuit over the Starcraft universe being a slight ripoff (Terrans/Ultramarines, Zerg/Tyranids) of GW's IP. I know the sci-fi genre tends to rip off other material (Tyranids basically being a straight ripoff of Starship Troopers' baddies, see also: Alien/Aliens/Colonial Marines).
OH and INB4 people mistakenly thinking Starship Troopers was after GW made Tyranids. It wasn't, considering 1959 is when Heinlein wrote Starship Troopers...

OT: I saw this thinking Warcraft, then remembered my Warhammer 40k days shortly thereafter... Man escapist this isn't the first time an article title misled me...

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Made by Streum On studios, who made E.Y.E., and set in WH40K universe? I'm super in. When Divine Cybermancy came out, I vanished from the face of the earth for about 10 days. If they bring that same level of complexity, customization and bizarreness, I'll be a happy chappy.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
gigastar said:
Again, the armour of a Librarian is supposed to be blue regardless of chapter.
That's only if you adhere to the Codex, which the Dark Angels have taken a slight variance to. Additionally, with the organization of the Deathwing terminators, their armor is painted in white for the remembrance of a lone terminator squad who painted theirs bone-white, the color of death, in the face of a Tyranid invasion(they actually survived, because plot armor).

OT: I enjoyed EYE, although I never finished it. I still mean to, of course, but yeah.
But anyways, as a member of the Deathwing, I believe this won't be just a genestealer chase. You know about the Fallen, and the danger they portray to both the Imperium, and the Chapter.
You'll be hunting renegades with both boltgun and psyker powers, to bring His will to the traitors who abandoned Caliban and those from the wretched Eye of Terror.
Space Hulks are full of many things, and within host unknown multitudes of secrets to discover...

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
Zykon TheLich said:
KeyMaster45 said:
shintakie10 said:

I'm actually surprised that GW hasn't popped a lawsuit over the Starcraft universe being a slight ripoff (Terrans/Ultramarines, Zerg/Tyranids) of GW's IP. I know the sci-fi genre tends to rip off other material (Tyranids basically being a straight ripoff of Starship Troopers' baddies, see also: Alien/Aliens/Colonial Marines).
OH and INB4 people mistakenly thinking Starship Troopers was after GW made Tyranids. It wasn't, considering 1959 is when Heinlein wrote Starship Troopers...

OT: I saw this thinking Warcraft, then remembered my Warhammer 40k days shortly thereafter... Man escapist this isn't the first time an article title misled me...
I wouldn't really call Tyranids a ripoff of Starship trooper's bugs. Sure there is a hive mind, that is similar, but the designs hold very little resemblance, except in the case of the uh, hoppers I believe they were called, they look kind of like Tyranid Gargoyles, other than that, the Chariot Bugs and Warrior Bugs really don't look like anything the Tyranids produce. The Zerg however do seem to take more inspiration Starship Troopers and Warhammer 40k, using inspiration from the Hive Mind, Borrowing mechanics, and Dropping Meteors or Pods down onto a planet to infect it from Starship Troopers, and the overall design of their aliens from Warhammer, which is in general more.. uh, "Take something, add an insectoid carapace to it, call it an alien". Where as the Starship Trooper Design was "Take a bug, Make it bigger, give it sharper mouths/beaks/claws, call it an alien"

Aug 31, 2012
amaranth_dru said:

I think the starcraft thing is a bit too generic for anything to stick. Sci fi Humans, insectoid alien race, advanced alien race. Not much to go on. If they haven't bothered to sue these guys yet then I think Starcraft is safe.

Depends on which Tyranids you mean of course, they went through a few redesigns, the early ones didn't look much like the arachnids. Probably because the starship troopers film hadn't come out then.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
TheBelgianGuy said:
I'm always amazed so many people are under the impression GW rips off Blizzard all the time, considering starcraft and warcraft exist because Blizzard tried and failed to get a license from GW to produce their games, so made their own versions (no resemblance at all between marines and space marines, nids and zerg, protoss and eldar, nope).
Honestly the biggest reason this happens is because the resembling franchises are as far apart as they could be right now. Blizzard may have borrowed basics but their games have become too different to recognize much similarity for most people. Also, 40K isn't as well known as a lot of people want it to be whilst most of the Blizzard games become juggernauts, so it's not all that hard to imagine them not knowing when GWorkshop and the tabletops came to be.

This isn't a jab at either company and/or game. I'm just shpeculatin'

Mar 26, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Most Space Marine Chapters (Dark Angels included) have psychic librarians that wear blue armour. Yeah.
True that. I've got the Dark Angel's Grand Master Librarian, Ezekiel, and I've painted him up in blue armour.

The Deathwing are bad ass!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Well there was that Fire Warrior FPS where you played as a Tau.It was horrible.
It wasn't that bad, the PC version anyway.

I like the look of this game so far for two reasons;

1- No Ultrasmurfs. I hope Matt Ward is crying himself to sleep over this.
2- You play as a Librarian, I have always wanted to play as the bastard offspring of Gandalf and Emperor Palpatine.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Space Hulk was originally a turn based board game, making it into a FPS...dunno.
In principle, I don't see why it would be a problem. The 40K universe is a perfect setting for an FPS, and Space Hulk in particular, where the entire setup is that you're wandering dark corridors probably alone with weird monsters ready to jump out at any moment, is pretty much ideal. The only trouble is that so far every attempt to actually make a 40K shooter has sucked.

Also, making a Space Hulk game just being about corridors and genestealers is also a bit dull, in the fluff hulks are much more interesting than that.
In the fluff they may be more, but in the actual Space Hulk game that's exactly all it was. And I don't necessarily see that as a problem. Just look at Alien vs Predator. Two great games that mostly consist of shooting exactly the type of alien over and over again. The lack of variety of enemies compared to many games isn't a problem because the variety of scenarios make up for it. That's exactly where the expansion for AvP2 fell down, because it was just a couple of aliens jumping out a vent next to you over and over again.

So given that genestealers are a direct rip-off of Alien in the first place, there's no reason a hulk full of them has to be dull. It may well turn out that way, but that will be due to poor writing, not inherent in the setup.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Kahani said:
In the fluff they may be more, but in the actual Space Hulk game that's exactly all it was. And I don't necessarily see that as a problem. Just look at Alien vs Predator. Two great games that mostly consist of shooting exactly the type of alien over and over again. The lack of variety of enemies compared to many games isn't a problem because the variety of scenarios make up for it. That's exactly where the expansion for AvP2 fell down, because it was just a couple of aliens jumping out a vent next to you over and over again.

So given that genestealers are a direct rip-off of Alien in the first place, there's no reason a hulk full of them has to be dull. It may well turn out that way, but that will be due to poor writing, not inherent in the setup.
Well, yeah, but there's been quite a few Space Hulk games, both tabletop and video games, and they are all Terminators Vs Genestealers in corridors. I think the very first let you take other races, and an expansion for the second let you take power armoured marines (both the tabletop versions), but still very samey.

Nothing wrong with the idea, but they keep going with the same stuff over and over.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Well, yeah, but there's been quite a few Space Hulk games, both tabletop and video games, and they are all Terminators Vs Genestealers in corridors. I think the very first let you take other races, and an expansion for the second let you take power armoured marines (both the tabletop versions), but still very samey.

Nothing wrong with the idea, but they keep going with the same stuff over and over.
Well yes, Space Hulk is always Space Hulk. If you don't want to play Space Hulk, there are plenty of other 40K games around. But the ones that aren't about marines fighting genestealers in corridors aren't called Space Hulk, because they're different games. It seems a bit odd to complain that a specific game is in fact that game and not a different one. If it was a different game, it would be a different game called something different.