Defining Misogynism

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011

Title is pretty much this video in a nutshell.

While he has some interesting points about the princessization (if thats a thing) of women in todays society its hard to look past his obviously old style and overly conservative values towards women.

If anything it was an interesting watch.

Do you agree or disagree with this guy? Thoughts in general?

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
I'll post actual thoughts on the video itself if/when I watch it, but I can already tell from the preview image that this guy is a colossal douchebro.

Edit: Ok I got to 1:06 before laughing my ass off, don't think I'm gonna bother lol.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
bananafishtoday said:
I'll post actual thoughts on the video itself if/when I watch it, but I can already tell from the preview image that this guy is a colossal douchebro.

Edit: Ok I got to 1:06 before laughing my ass off, don't think I'm gonna bother lol.
I made it to 1:34. Just another idiot with a Webcam and too much free time. Points for flamboyancy though.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
bananafishtoday said:
...but I can already tell from the preview image that this guy is a colossal douchebro.
Oh, ain't that the truth.

I got to 6:04. All hail.

Women must be a lot different where he comes from.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
I'm really not pulling a tl;dr here. Youtube is having one of those slow days, and as much as I'd watch the video, 240p on youtube right now is taking forever to even load.

Can I have more of a summary of what this guy has said? It sounds like you're just bringing attention to another random misogynist on the internet like in the RamZPaul guy a made a thread about and subsequently got warned for.

If anything women are treated far less as "princesses" than in earlier years. Chivalrous thought is on the decline. And women are treated far less as these dainty little flowers. This sort of claim is usually used by people who wish to dismiss the problems of rape and male on female violence in society.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
bananafishtoday said:

I read some of the comments while the video was buffering and now I'm reallllllly not sure I want to watch that video. At all.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
EstrogenicMuscle said:
I'm really not pulling a tl;dr here. Youtube is having one of those slow days, and as much as I'd watch the video, 240p on youtube right now is taking forever to even load.

Can I have more of a summary of what this guy has said? It sounds like you're just bringing attention to another random misogynist on the internet like in the RamZPaul guy a made a thread about and subsequently got warned for.

If anything women are treated far less as "princesses" than in earlier years. Chivalrous thought is on the decline. And women are treated far less as these dainty little flowers. This sort of claim is usually used by people who wish to dismiss the problems of rape and male on female violence in society.
My experience went like...

"Misogyny is men hating women as much as women hate each other so don't feel bad bros, like only 15% of my viewers are women but those are the good women, most women suuuuuck, like I know this one woman who's pretty cool she makes video games, oh btw it's bullshit how now that Comicon is super popular all fake nerd girls are infiltrating a sacred Male Space and--" bahahaha I can't listen to this shit anymore.

Srsly this guy should run for president of Reddit or something.

Instead of that, I recommend this 40-second video to get the basic gist: http://vimeo.com/64941331

Chemical Alia said:
bananafishtoday said:

I read some of the comments while the video was buffering and now I'm reallllllly not sure I want to watch that video. At all.
ABORT MISSION ABORT MISSION.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
He keeps talking about women as if they are some kind of collective where they all have uniformed opinions and ideas it is really brutal. I am sure he is making a point with some women but I mean some guys are the same way it is more of a people issue than a gender issue.

Edit: yaaaa it gets crazier as it goes I don't even think he is making any points he is just be really brutally sexist.

Edit2: I was watching a few related videos out of curiosity and I thought this video hit some interesting points.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Zhukov said:
bananafishtoday said:
...but I can already tell from the preview image that this guy is a colossal douchebro.
Oh, ain't that the truth.

I got to 6:04. All hail.

Women must be a lot different where he comes from.
Eh, 2:16. I mean, I would have let him ramble on but I'm just about to go to bed - I cannot waste 10+ more minutes on that. So victory is yours. Also, yes, women really must be different where he comes from - they've apparently gone "completely feral and out of control" (some of his last words).

I think it's appropriate to post this video once again

Chemical Alia said:
bananafishtoday said:

Don't. Watch the above instead. Heck, just watch 15 minutes of SMBC Threater. SMBC's humour is probably hit and miss for more people but I still think you can pick random videos and I think you'll get more substance than the video in the OP.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
As soon as it started I thought he'd probably end up being a ****.
2 minutes in, what a surprise.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
The preview image makes him look like a douche... I expect he smells like Axe.

You know... not gonna watch this one. Seems everyone else can't get a minute or two into it without it being pretty obvious he is full of shit. Guess base assumption was right on this one.

As for what misogyny is... isn't it guys hating women and thinking themselves superior or them inferior or something to that effect? General old conservatism about women and the like? Thought the dictionary had this one relatively down pat already, why the thread?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
bananafishtoday said:
You think Reddit is the pinnacle of internet misogyny.

How quaint.

...unless you want your illusions shattered, never go onto 4chan.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
aba1 said:
Edit2: I was watching a few related videos out of curiosity and I thought this video hit some interesting points.

You can only call Warren Farrell 'related' to trash like this in the loosest sense, that they both deal with sort of the same subject matter. He's a real academic who does actual research, has a history of organizational involvement, and a number of books in print. It's like the difference between a post on Jezebel and a paper by Kristeva.

OP: If you can't tell, I don't think much of that video.

scarfacetehstag

Feb 12, 2011
Misogyny (pron.: /mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls.

You don't need to go past 15 seconds

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Well, that was fun, it's always nice to see someone make an ass of himself, and he does it in such an eloquent way and with such flamboyancy, that it's just a joy to behold.

I think I want to watch more of his videos now, this could turn out to be great entertainment.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I got to 31 seconds, the moment where he said "a few women in each generation have that creative spark in them" before seeing where it was likely going to go and giving up. I mean honestly, starting with crap like that is never going to get you taken seriously.

He may as well have posted a video called "I'm not a misogynist, but..."

He also looks a little like Kane from Command and Conquer...

scarfacetehstag said:
Misogyny (pron.: /mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls.

You don't need to go past 15 seconds
Agreed.

The only trouble I find is when people use misogyny and sexism as interchangeable words. While all sexism is bad, not all sexism is misogyny, but some people either cannot tell the difference, or pretend that there is none.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010

Froggy Slayer said:
bananafishtoday said:
You think Reddit is the pinnacle of internet misogyny.

How quaint.

...unless you want your illusions shattered, never go onto 4chan.
4chan and Reddit are both about the same.

Most /b/tards are more upfront about it, while most Redditors[footnote]And a lot of people on this site too[/footnote] are more faux-intellectual about it.

Panthera

May 10, 2013
I am amazed at some of the reactions to this video. Talking about making it "only" a few minutes in? After 30 seconds you get the "a rare few women don't suck and they're my viewers" line and that's when you can tell he's a moron. You guys are way more patient than I am, clearly.