Defining Misogynism

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Jarimir said:
ADMIT IT, come on, you seem pretty sexist in your posts.
So believing that modern feminism is fighting windmills in the name of gender equality while completely ignoring the other half of the equation is sexist? Count me in then.

I'm sure most people who identify as feminists truly are for gender equality, but as (I think) someone in this very thread said, focusing on individual feminists can give a fairly distorted image.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Jarimir said:
So.... it's wrong for women to want or to ask for something that isn't casual shovelware?

Maybe there isn't a market for more mainstream/hardcore games for women because no developer has had the balls or creative insight to make games like that.

There are many bro-hard, female sex-accessory games out there that completely turn me off and I am a male, so not only are these developers missing out on the female market, but they are also turning some of their potential MALE customers away with this bullshit.

I am failing to see your point here as it seems to be that you are indicating what is A LACK of real effort(shovelware) is also somehow evidence of real development or marketing effort.

Also, you must be high off of directly snorting steroids if you think games about babies, playing dress up, and the wii fit are going to appease women demanding more equal consideration and to be taken seriously by the gaming industry.

If anything your examples reinforce the issues brought up by the other side more than they help your case at all...
There isn't something wrong with asking for something you want. However there is something wrong with trying to turn it into some kind of bigger social issue. Just like there isn't nothing wrong with me asking for more difficult games but it would be if i did so by claiming this casualisation is a sign of communistisation of gaming or some kind of other crap (the link being that easy games give everyone regardless of skills the same, you don't need efforts to complete it, etc. which can easily be linked with the whole ideology of giving everyone the same. I'll agree it's a retarded comparison and parallel to draw but than again, I don't do it, it's what people demanding more female centric AAA games do when they start using all those big words like "sexism, misogyny, objectification, the industry is an exclusive boys club, etc.".)

It seems that people have a very hard time asking for female-centric AAA games without trying to appeal to guilt and abuse loaded words linked with RL social issues. Is it so hard to say "I want there to be more female protagonists because i'm tired of playing as a male protagonist or prefer to play as a female protagonist"? Does it really have to become "Games are sexist! Give us more more female protagonists god damn it!". I can sympathize with the former kind of argument but i will instantly dismiss the latter.

And define "more equal consideration"? What does it mean practically. And don't say "more female characters" or "less T&A". Prove me that in order to have more equal consideration something has to change. And to do that you'll have to prove me that the female Potential costumer base of AAA games is big enough to warrant such changes in order for that base to have more equal consideration.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Yeah, this is the worse type of jerkweed you can ever find, the intelligent type with a major chip on his shoulder that's aware of how spiteful he is but justifies it by playing himself out as a victim.

This is what super villains are made of :p

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Somehow managed to make it through the entire video, though my jaw hurts now from the teeth grinding. I haven't watched any other videos to see if there was consistency, but there was something really strange about his mannerisms. Maybe like a cartoon villain of some sort without a hint of humor or sense of irony. In a way, I feel bad for the guy, his attitude plus his mannerisms and way of speaking remind me of a closeted gay fellow I knew in highschool, and he just hasn't realized yet hes in denial.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nomanslander said:
Yeah, this is the worse type of jerkweed you can ever find, the intelligent type with a major chip on his shoulder that's aware of how spiteful he is but justifies it by playing himself out as a victim.

This is what super villains are made of :p
And he looks like a super-villain, too...
QUICK, we need for a benevolent geek to get in lab accident so s/he gains superpowers enabling her to combat this guy when he decides to go full mustace-twirling evil...

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
Jarimir said:
The problem is that no matter how highly you think of yourself now, you'd statistically be more likely to be one of the CASTRATED harem guards or house servants...

Are you sure you want to bring harems back now?
I don't place much credence on risk factors. They don't determine outcomes in and of themselves, and besides they're associated with everything we do anyway. If you let the omnipresent thread of harm influence your behavior you wouldn't be able to do anything but sit in a padded room all day, and even then you'd still be vulnerable to aneurysms and meteorites and house fires and choking to death. Statistically, you'd be more likely to slip, fall and die if you took a shower tomorrow morning. Welp, better never clean yourself again!

It's important to remember that the worst thing anyone can do to you is going to happen to you anyway.

Being one of the privileged is great, but for those of us that can care for things beyond ourselves, living in a society that extends privilege to as many as practically possible is better. That is what we have strived for and what we have to a large degree achieved. So, please don't fuck things up for the rest of us, we've worked hard and have overcome a lot to get here, just to have it dismissed and destroyed because selfishness is in vogue again...
The emphasized portion implies you're emotionally invested in the welfare of others. That's a delirium I've escaped for whatever reason, and I don't think it's that selfishness is in vogue so much as I can clearly see the schism between individual and societal needs. I don't irrationally personalize my crimes and trespasses. Obviously everyone can't be that way otherwise we'd be back in the dark ages and I likely wouldn't even exist, but I'm already here now, and the dirty little secret is that the system is perfectly capable of playing host to "cheaters." Call me a parasite, a degenerate, a hypocrite, the fact is that I benefit more from taking than giving, and if I've got the opportunity to do that, I'd be a fool not to take it.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Jarimir said:
excalipoor said:
Jarimir said:
ADMIT IT, come on, you seem pretty sexist in your posts.
So believing that modern feminism is fighting windmills in the name of gender equality while completely ignoring the other half of the equation is sexist? Count me in then.

I'm sure most people who identify as feminists truly are for gender equality, but as (I think) someone in this very thread said, focusing on individual feminists can give a fairly distorted image.
Well I wasn't even talking to you or are aware of anything you've said, but sure go right ahead!

Something tells me that you really didn't need to use me as an excuse at all.
I'm just trying to follow your reasoning. Unless I missed a good chunk of this thread, that is what you're implying here; that criticizing feminism is inherently sexist.

And I'm sorry, but this isn't a private conversation.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I watched the whole way through. It's really not something any person trying to be open-minded and fair wants to watch. Sure, you may agree on some points depending on your own personal experiences, but the main content of the video is really vile and just hateful in general.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Jarimir said:
For your benefit I will give you the ENTIRE paragraph from which you pulled that little sentence.
Yes, I did read the whole post. Being 'a little bit sexist' and 'pretty sexist' hardly hold the same weight, however, possibly implying that being anti-feminism is being anti-women. If that's not your intention, then that's that I guess.

Jarimir said:
I later go on to admit that I am a little bit racist and sexist. So why would it be ok for me to be sexist but not the guy that seems so damned afraid of being called "sexist"?
'Sexist' is a dirty word. There are laws against it. It gets people fired. You using it in a benign manner doesn't change that, or other people's interpretation of it.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually agree with you on this. Sexism shouldn't be the boogeyman it currently is. People don't all need to look, function and think the same to get along (though that does hold some appeal to me...), and to think that they should, or that they ever could, is absurd. Everybody has a skewed perspective on the world, and that's just something we have to live with. Trying to convert everyone to a single line of thinking is a fool's errand.

And with that said, someone, somewhere, will hate you for being gay, and no amount of campaigning or chestbeating will change that. Assholes will be assholes. The best you can do is make sure the system isn't rigged against you, as it certainly isn't rigged against the contemporary western woman. Gay rights on the other hand aren't quite there yet.

Jarimir said:
I guess what bothers me the most is that certain people insist that other people cant have their concerns and fears addressed AT THE SAME TIME they insist that their own fears and concerns are important or perhaps MORE important.
That's feminism VS. MRM in a nutshell. People taking personal anecdotes as proof of societal failings (like the gentleman in the video), and the radicals ruining it for everybody by making the opposition that much more vehement in their cause.

There isn't going to be "equality" for as long as either one is throwing the victim card in the other's face.

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
Jarimir said:
Fine, then, allow me to rephrase my statement. The risk of becoming detached from MY nuts is not worth the potential reward to ME of being lucky enough to be able to afford or have the necessary status to have a harem. Besides my harem would be comprised of physically fit men between the ages of 18 and 30, which would probably not even be allowed in your "harem fantasy" world. Personally, and with direct regard to my nuts I am glad the days of forced servitude and castration are behind us. See, I made my statement singularly exclusive and ego-centric, just for you! (Oh the yummy irony!)
Oh, I don't know. I get bored pretty easily. I think after a few hundred rounds with the same old girls I might start to want something a little different, in which case it might be a good idea to keep a few alternatives around.

Unfortunately for you, that means you'll be having that corrective procedure.

Even for the egomaniac, surely a choice that ensures more self-serving excess and or extends the time you have to enjoy said excess is better than missing that choice and having your excess and time to enjoy it cut short, right?
If you know ahead of time, sure. But it's still always going to be better to eat your cake and have it, too. Besides, if your time is cut short it's not like you'll be missing much of anything anyway.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
DoPo said:
That was hilarious.
I used to wonder if people like that actually existed.

Then I made a horrible mistake of going to a convention.. The odor still haunts my nightmares.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Jarimir said:
generals3 said:
This isn't linked to a RL social issue. This is PART of a RL social issue. Granted it is in an area that is a luxury. I mean no one needs video games in order to survive or succeed in life... And so it can be put near the bottom of a list of "must have" priorities.

Imagine the INSANITY of living in a world were game developers responded to the current uproar by simply releasing more games that can appeal to women (just the possibility that they could would be a significant change), or by limiting the number of over the top hypermasculine games. I am sure that is all many of the people here want. No laws, no one being robbed of their rights or denied access to a genre of media that they enjoy.

I mean everyone thinks its a bad idea for game developers to listen to their customer base or potential customer base, right? It's not like it seems that AAA developers are already running out of good ideas an are scraping the bottom of the barrel or just regurgitating old concepts.

If you want to know what "more equal consideration" looks like, try listening to some of the people asking for change or pointing out what they feel is wrong. After reading through several threads on this forum on this topic I have seen many good, even handed ideas, and examples of games that "got it right". You will learn more of what you want to know than by only seeing "Games are sexist! Give us more more female protagonists god damn it!", in their posts.

You want an example of a good, non-sexualized female lead character? I give you Captain Janeway from the Voyager series.

Prove to me that I am obligated to give you proof. Prove to me that you are entitled to proof, especially when you seem to think entitlement is a problem. While you are at it, prove to me that the female (and turned off male) customer base is too small to have more of a share of the consideration.

See, I can make demands and ultimatums too, go ahead and tell me how they make my argument more credible.
The idea of demanding proof that someone needs to demand proof seems extremely illogical. Our whole scientific method is based on the concept of demanding proof to back up claims. The need to prove your claims is necessary for the discussion to have any value. There is perhaps no inherent need to do it (i can't force you to). But if you cannot prove your claims your claims have no value. And since you're the one demanding change and making claims you're the one who needs to provide evidence.

And that is also why i don't need to prove the costumer base is too small, the status quo is based on that idea. Being the one challenging the status quo the burden of proof lies on you. If you go to your boss telling him he needs to change his management style he'll ask you to prove him that there is a need to do so. And the idea that the ones who do not challenge the status quo be the ones who need to proof the status quo is the best way to continue is ludicrous. That would make it too easy for the challengers. The existence of the current status is in itself already evidence there must be something to it. It may not be correct, but that's up to you to prove.

And no this isn't part of the social issue. Unless you can prove me publishers/devs are sexists and purposely discriminating against female gamers (potential gamers) just because they're female.

And i know very well what some people think is "doing things right". There is no problem with people sharing their opinion on what they think makes a better game. We all do it. But the claim that when things are not being done right it must be some kind of social issue is ludicrous. It's not because games don't do things your way it's objectification, sexism, evidence of a boys club mentality, etc.