Delaware Politician Readies for California SCOTUS Win

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
It is any surprise that Keeley relied on none other than everyone's favorite ex-attorney and certified bullshit expert, Jack Thompson, to testify in support of her 2006 bill?

Oh, how I pine for the good ol' days when the moron politicians of this country had yet to figure out that Jack Thompson was a even bigger moron than any of them and were still perfectly willing to let him open his mouth in public and spew pure rot on their behalf. Back then, the world was a much more entertaining place. I haven't had a good belly-laugh since they kicked him outta Utah on his ear (or a good bowel movement, either, now that I think about it).

IronStorm9

Jun 15, 2010
And for some reason, I keep reading the title of the article as "Dwarven Politician Readies for California SCOTUS Win."

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
The video game medium is going to face some tough times when that law comes up. We must prepare for a resistance movement in case the law does get passed.

bartman675

Jul 16, 2009
gamers of the world(the US and the states that oppose games in particular) need to unite and do good for the community to tell the world games are not bad influences

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
With no disrespect to Delaware, but a STATE senator in Delaware? My math teacher probably has more political power. State senators have so little influence, as long as there isn't a coalition of them on this one topic.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
Yes, because it's the game retailers that are giving the kiddies these games. Let's overlook the parents, who allow games they don't approve of in their house or, sometimes pay for them in the first place. It's the retailer's job to decide what my kid can and can't play, not mine, DUH!

Tehlanna TPX said:
These issues get more and more frightening, minute by minute. What the hell is wrong with the US, anymore? I get that people are lazy bastards, generally unwilling to, or scared to, parent their children. So give them up for adoption, goddammit. Don't blame your inability to parent on a medium you're using to babysit. Be informed about what your children are involved in.
Exactly. However, not all of us are lazy bastards. [small](Just most of us.)[/small]

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
I read the whole transcript (all 72 pages) and those Justices were all over the place. One moment they're going against the guy trying to push the law saying that video games are no different than violent movies or cartoons, the next minute they're going against the guy pushing for the law to be hammered down by stating that the Founding Fathers could never have foreseen video games when forging the 1st Amendment 200 years ago.
I have some good news on this count. While I am not a lawyer, I am a Political Science minor, so this isn't the first time I've read a supreme court case. Basically, that kind of questioning of both sides is just what the Supreme Court does, it's how they get both sides of the story. If anything, the transcript read like they were being hostile to California, and several of the justices seemed to be practically on our side. We aren't out of the woods yet, but the transcript isn't as bad as it may seem. My worry is that the thing was so short; it may have been 72 pages long, but it certainly felt shorter, and like more needed to be said on both sides.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
To those who didn't understand: THIS is why the supreme court case matters so much. It's beyond what is actually written on the law.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
asinann said:
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Postal 2 is popular? Maybe in her sick, depraved household, but everywhere else it's never heard of. These sanctimonious asshats need to go solve some real problems. Economy in the toilet? Stop talking about some bloody software and get cracking on employment, public works, and otherwise non-head-in-ass policies.
Why would they want to fix the economy when they can tear apart an entire industry and cost a few hundred thousand more people their jobs.
And these so-called "leaders" and "representatives" of the people never seem to bring that drawback into the argument.

*gripe gripe gripe* For the Children! *gripe gripe gripe*
By the way, this will result in job losses, hurt general retailers who supply games, who will likely take the losses out on paying customers somehow. Let's not even mention how this measure will require more tax dollars that could have repaired your roads and improved your child's education so that they do not become drug dealers and addicts living off on the streets or play Grand Theft Auto: Reality.

Further attention towards educating children (and let's face it, parents) would be more efficacious in raising a productive generation rather than create a "forbidden fruit" out of video games. Given the choice, I would hope that any decent enough parent would choose the former emphasis on education over what is an issue primarily to the loudest, most obnoxious, and benighted fear-mongerers.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
Deathfish15 said:
I read the whole transcript (all 72 pages) and those Justices were all over the place. One moment they're going against the guy trying to push the law saying that video games are no different than violent movies or cartoons, the next minute they're going against the guy pushing for the law to be hammered down by stating that the Founding Fathers could never have foreseen video games when forging the 1st Amendment 200 years ago.
I have some good news on this count. While I am not a lawyer, I am a Political Science minor, so this isn't the first time I've read a supreme court case. Basically, that kind of questioning of both sides is just what the Supreme Court does, it's how they get both sides of the story. If anything, the transcript read like they were being hostile to California, and several of the justices seemed to be practically on our side. We aren't out of the woods yet, but the transcript isn't as bad as it may seem. My worry is that the thing was so short; it may have been 72 pages long, but it certainly felt shorter, and like more needed to be said on both sides.
I have not had the chance to read the transcripts myself, but that is what I assumed. It is the duty of the court to investigate the matter thoroughly and examine both sides to the case. This and the transcript's relative brevity could turn out in our[footnote]I daresay anyone concerned over their free right of speech in the United States.[/footnote] favor because this could prove how shallow of an argument the California law is based off of with no basis in facts over petty, misguided correlation and ignorance.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I don't believe it is protected speech when you are showing someone, a young adult, how to beat up a homeless person," she added.
What the hell does she mean by that? Is beating up a homeless person somehow more complicated than beating up any other person? In addition: how am I going to learn to beat someone up from a videogame? Pressing B for melee attack does not work in real life.
Hey, I always roll for initiative when I get in a fistfight.

All joking aside, this seems like an odd way to rally support, which she is doubtless doing. If it passes, she might end up looking really suave, but if it falls through it's not gonna look good for her.

Feb 13, 2008
It's telling that both of her statements are "I think" and "I believe". Surely your thoughts should be those of your constituents? Just a thought.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Thorvan said:
Iron Lightning said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I don't believe it is protected speech when you are showing someone, a young adult, how to beat up a homeless person," she added.
What the hell does she mean by that? Is beating up a homeless person somehow more complicated than beating up any other person? In addition: how am I going to learn to beat someone up from a videogame? Pressing B for melee attack does not work in real life.
Hey, I always roll for initiative when I get in a fistfight.

All joking aside, this seems like an odd way to rally support, which she is doubtless doing. If it passes, she might end up looking really suave, but if it falls through it's not gonna look good for her.
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
asinann said:
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Postal 2 is popular? Maybe in her sick, depraved household, but everywhere else it's never heard of. These sanctimonious asshats need to go solve some real problems. Economy in the toilet? Stop talking about some bloody software and get cracking on employment, public works, and otherwise non-head-in-ass policies.
Why would they want to fix the economy when they can tear apart an entire industry and cost a few hundred thousand more people their jobs.
And these so-called "leaders" and "representatives" of the people never seem to bring that drawback into the argument.

*gripe gripe gripe* For the Children! *gripe gripe gripe*
By the way, this will result in job losses, hurt general retailers who supply games, who will likely take the losses out on paying customers somehow. Let's not even mention how this measure will require more tax dollars that could have repaired your roads and improved your child's education so that they do not become drug dealers and addicts living off on the streets or play Grand Theft Auto: Reality.

Further attention towards educating children (and let's face it, parents) would be more efficacious in raising a productive generation rather than create a "forbidden fruit" out of video games. Given the choice, I would hope that any decent enough parent would choose the former emphasis on education over what is an issue primarily to the loudest, most obnoxious, and benighted fear-mongerers.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
Deathfish15 said:
I have not had the chance to read the transcripts myself, but that is what I assumed. It is the duty of the court to investigate the matter thoroughly and examine both sides to the case. This and the transcript's relative brevity could turn out in our[footnote]I daresay anyone concerned over their free right of speech in the United States.[/footnote] favor because this could prove how shallow of an argument the California law is based off of with no basis in facts over petty, misguided correlation and ignorance.
Keep in mind that the oral arguments are more the gravy than the mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes are the 50-page briefs that both sides filed in advance of the oral arguments. The oral arguments -- despite the name -- are less an opportunity for the counsels to recite uninterrupted a rehearsed argument before the Court and more the Court's opportunity to pose interrogatory questions to the counsels. That's why the Court tends to cut them off a lot. That usually happens when they're doing little more than merely rehashing stuff that they've already said in their briefs. And if the transcripts appear to be on the short side, that's probably because they only dedicate an hour to oral arguments.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Either this woman is stupid, or this is nothing more than a ploy to gain the support of middle aged female parents. (I'm sorry if this comes off as sexist but I'm sure the majority of supporters are women) Either way, she does not deserve to be in a position of power.

"I don't believe it is protected speech when you are showing someone, a young adult, how to beat up a homeless person,"....Exactly my point....extreme ignorance. Video games "show someone" how to perform assault much less than Wikipedia and Youtube do. There are several much more valid arguments that this woman could've used to drive her point, but she's clearly ignorant on the entire subject. (or else retarded)

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
Flamma Man said:
How much you bet that when the law is turned down, there will be a bunch of politicians, like Yee, who'll say something along the lines of "This is a sad day in America."

If that happens, I will laugh.
I'll laugh with you, man.
As will I, I'll even send a video to Yee of me and my co-workers laughing our asses off at him. :D

This law isn't going to pass, pure and simple and this "Politician" is just trolling.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Read Dahlia Lithwick's write-up on the case in Slate magazine - the justices basically handed the attorneys for California their collective asses. I'm much less worried now about this law being upheld.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
...And it begins.

Andy Chalk said:
Delaware Politician Readies for California SCOTUS Win

"I still don't think that it is appropriate for young children to see that amount of violence," Keeley said, noting specifically the examples of games like Postal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU1UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288898588&sr=8-1]. And although state-level courts have ruled unanimously on numerous occasions that such laws are in violation of the First Amendment, Keeley disagrees. "I don't believe it is protected speech when you are showing someone, a young adult, how to beat up a homeless person," she added.

Well, here's a refreshing idea for you: Be a Parent! Take some responsibility for your own actions for a change; it's part of growing up.

MadGodXero

Dec 6, 2009
/facepalm. It's happening already, and it's people who don't understand anything.. Blame parents, not the artists.