Delightfully offensive

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
So could the scene in Evil Dead 2 where the mirror's glass becomes water when touched be symbolic? Instead of the oppressed water being held by a glass, it has become a form of glass. It joins its oppressor and together their evil is magnified to the point where a man merely touching them begins to lose his mind!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Bizzaro Stormy said:
My thought with this thread was for people to lighten up. There are cultural norms in any society that are considered offensive, unsettling, disturbing, etc. and these days it seems to have expanded to include anything that could possibly upset any given group or sub group.
Words matter, and sadly yours sounded like you were looking to cause troubles. Certainly this place may need to lighten up, but know your audience or you'll get these reactions more often than intended (let's be honest, these comments were bound to happen anyway).

OT: Bayonetta, almost anything on it. That game was designed with one theme in mind: just how sexy can we make our game and get away with it? It's filled with so many sexual innuendos that no self-righteous person could resist to criticize (or at least to give rolling eyes or facepalms until the end)

EDIT: ...just this...

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
inu-kun said:
Ummm... An offensive moment that will make a SJW bleed tears of blood...

Look at how it opens the borders of female characters! No long are they the oppressed, now they the ones in the dominant position!
This game looks awesome. It's a Vita thing, yeah?

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Bizzaro Stormy said:
My thought with this thread was for people to lighten up. There are cultural norms in any society that are considered offensive, unsettling, disturbing, etc. and these days it seems to have expanded to include anything that could possibly upset any given group or sub group.
Words matter, and sadly yours sounded like you were looking to cause troubles. Certainly this place may need to lighten up, but know your audience or you'll get these reactions more often than intended (let's be honest, these comments were bound to happen anyway).

OT: Bayonetta, almost anything on it. That game was designed with one theme in mind: just how sexy can we make our game and get away with it? It's filled with so many sexual innuendos that no self-righteous person could resist to criticize (or at least to give rolling eyes or facepalms until the end)

EDIT: ...just this...
Of course words matter. Of course comments questioning the reasons for this thread exist. Can you clean an infected wound without causing pain? Getting people to understand that some things aren't worth fighting over is going to have a similar pain filled reaction. Hopefully the healing helps reduce the length of that pain and make life more pleasant.

With that said I was also looking to cause a little trouble. No sense doing a dirty job if you can't have some fun! I never played Bayonetta but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Perhaps I'll try it at somepoint.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Micalas said:
inu-kun said:
Ummm... An offensive moment that will make a SJW bleed tears of blood...

Look at how it opens the borders of female characters! No long are they the oppressed, now they the ones in the dominant position!
This game looks awesome. It's a Vita thing, yeah?
The first game in the series is on Steam now and hopefully others will follow suit.

murrow

Sep 3, 2014
I had a game in Crusader Kings 2 in which I managed to restore the Persian Empire under Cuman rule. Some 150 years later I sort of grew tired of having characters with turkish ethnic traits and felt like having some caucasian rulers for a change. So I invaded the Byzantine Empire, enslaved some Greek women and made them into concubines. A few generations and a dozen sex slaves later I had an ethnically Greek Cuman Persian emperor.

Another time was during my Roman Empire playthrough. After some unpleasant clashes with the Abbasids I started castrating every muslim that got himself into my dungeon. Eventually, during my reconquest of Mauretania, the Caliph himself ended up a prisioner. I reckon he had plenty to share with his palace eunuchs when I released him.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Eh, internet people seem to have absurdly thin skin. I used to try to avoid stepping on people's toes but these days I find it's virtually impossible to do or say anything without someone being offended. My rule of thumb is if it would get a gasp from people at the pub, you probably went too far. That's a pretty lenient limit.

But as for potentially offensive media I enjoy? Show this to drunk people -

Captcha - too salty!

Ahahaha well played captcha.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
The last time I thought "This game is trying really hard to be offensive... and I love it!" Was Duke Nukem Forever. Within the first 30 minutes of gameplay, I had thrown human faeces around a room, drawn a massive penis on a Marine's whiteboard, received a blowjob from the Olsen Twins, drew another phallus and scrawled "FUCK" in an adoring fan's autograph book, and punched Christian Bale in the face. Then I went to my secret base, drank beer and played with an RC monster truck.

Very, VERY dumb fun.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
1. If you're actively looking for offensive humor, I don't think you're actually looking for humor.

2. Moreover, offensive humor only works when you don't expect it.

3. If the crowd goes "oooooohh" / "OMG I can't believe he said that", rather than actually laughing, maybe it's not actually a joke, and is an "offensive" statement that serves more as a shock than actual comedy.

Aurion

Dec 21, 2012
Not a game and it's already been mentioned, but The Boondocks is glorious. Not least of which because an uncomfortable amount of the comedy is a lot closer to true than people are willing to admit.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Akjosch said:

OT: Roman Bellic is pretty much one hilarious walking stereotype, but I don't really see anybody getting offended over him

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
Well there's a mission where I threw tons of assassin's in hooker outfits off the penthouse of a skycraper. That was fun. And its a lot different from, say, Hitman Absolution, with their stripper assassin nuns, because Saint's Row 3, well, fun. Thats often the difference between being offended and disagreeing but still enjoying yourself. Hell, its the basis of comedy. George Carlin can get people ardently against the death penalty to laugh hysterically in regards to a horrific use of it.
George Carlin was an astounding comedian.

Mainly wanted to say that.
...and to add, due to the inherent unreality in even the most ardently "realistic" game, so much offensive material becomes amusing.

It doesn't just have to be for amusement though.
Correctly presented and offensive situation in a game could actually be a unique way of exploring the issues surrounding it.

Offensive, in of itself, isn't bad.
Even going out of your way to offend, to an extent.
It's only when the situation is presented with the intent of titillation does it start to feel like the "wrong" kind of uncomfortable.
Of course, where that line of "wrong" sits is a very subjective thing indeed.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Vault101 said:
Completely agree.

However, I find the casual depiction of extreme violence in your profile pic to be supremely offensive. Mind changing it, please? I wouldn't want you to get into trouble for offending others.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
In my younger days I encountered reruns of the T.V. show Blackadder. I can honestly say that it was gloriously offensive. I have nothing but respect for Elizabeth I but that did not prevent Blackadder II from being a riot! God bless Edmund Blackadder and Baldrick, as well as their spiritual successors Commissar Caiaphas Cain and Jurgen.