Democrats retreat on fossil fuel and clean energy subsidies a day into DNC

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Despite having approved it in committee, language calling for the elimination of fossil fuel subsidies and expanding clean energy subsidies has been omitted from the Democratic party platform. DNC spokespersons claim the addition of the language was an error, and the removal of it was a correction.

Despite this having been a key climate change and energy policy issue on which both Biden and Harris campaigned during the primaries.

Despite this language being on the Democratic party's webpage and included in its 2016 platform.

Despite this having been a point of advocacy by Democrats for years.

So, oopsy-poopsy?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
There were what, six major Progressive things the Biden/Bernie Task Force thing agreed on?

So here's Number 2 thing they backtracked on. Which of the four remaining things will they backtrack on tomorrow? If you pick the four in the correct order, you win a prize!

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Of course, the fossil fuel executives, and fracking/Natural Gas/LNG douchebags got their way.

Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are just empty vessels for corporate donors. I am done with the democrats.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
By the way, if your a foreigner whose healthcare system is either NHI or national health insurance or NHS or National health system, and your lecturing the US about how Medicare 4 all is too expensive most likely because you like the US neglecting its citizens to subsidize for your country's defense, I hope when Trump wins he kicks your country out of NATO, and or takes out, and or lowers defense commitments for your country.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I hope when Trump wins he kicks your country out of NATO
There isn't really a process for kicking a country out of NATO.

Also NATO is a vital institution at keeping the Russian threat at bay.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
Man these Democrats have been retreating a lot lately.

They really don't stand on their word and bend backwards for the big oil companies. Its time to accept our new climate change overlords!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Not to mention trump would just remove us from NATO despite NATO being a mostly US thing anyway. I mean hes pretty much a puppet of putin. I think the one time he spoke ill of russia was when he needed to deflect something from Melania or something.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Funny enough when the defense news reported that the US was behind in hypersonic missiles, it took a relatively short amount of time for the US to be the leader of hypersonic missiles to the point where they could be precision-guided which Russia and China couldn't do, and Russia even begged for a hypersonic missile treaty, and don't even get me started on AI where the US also holds a significant edge. We could, in theory, be fine without our allies, except when it comes to aggregate trade. If we lose that we are screwed.

Also, I was just raging.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Bill Clinton and Al Gore put more ‘eco-terrorist’ into jail than any other president. The Dems have never really been pro-environment. Obama did didley squat in 8 years. I don’t see Biden doing much either

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Bill Clinton and Al Gore put more ‘eco-terrorist’ into jail than any other president. The Dems have never really been pro-environment. Obama did didley squat in 8 years. I don’t see Biden doing much either
Save the owls to destroy the unions then we’ll throw you in jail for caring about the owls.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
By the way, if your a foreigner whose healthcare system is either NHI or national health insurance or NHS or National health system, and your lecturing the US about how Medicare 4 all is too expensive most likely because you like the US neglecting its citizens to subsidize for your country's defense
That seems very specific, is that an attitude you're seeing a lot of? Because I'm not.

Mostly I'm seeing "We have a national health system, and the fact that the US doesn't means we are inherently superior to them....lets all tut about their problems instead of looking at our own".

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Not to mention trump would just remove us from NATO despite NATO being a mostly US thing anyway. I mean hes pretty much a puppet of putin. I think the one time he spoke ill of russia was when he needed to deflect something from Melania or something.
I will never forgive MSNBC and CNN for inventing this shallow bullshit and injecting it into our politics.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Honestly, I'm too tired to be angry right now.

My only hope at this point is that the 'hand of the market' will do more to wean us off fossil fuels than government investment. Fortunately there's at least some signs of that.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
By the way, if your a foreigner whose healthcare system is either NHI or national health insurance or NHS or National health system, and your lecturing the US about how Medicare 4 all is too expensive most likely because you like the US neglecting its citizens to subsidize for your country's defense, I hope when Trump wins he kicks your country out of NATO, and or takes out, and or lowers defense commitments for your country.
Most people don't care about NATOs protection. Aside from some eastern European countries in direct neighborhood to Russia NATO members don't feel partcicularly threatened.

I mean, giving up the protection that e.g. Italy receives through NATO and being as much in danger as Austria, Switzerland or Ireland which are not in NATO does not really make that much difference. As far as people are concerned. Loss of US protection would in most cases not even result in more defense investment because people simply don't feel a need for a strong army without some external threat and without ambitions for global power projection.

Don't blame Europeans for the US need to have a supersized military to feel important.

As for me and Germany in particularly : We were strongarmed into NATO by the US when all polls clearly showed that our population would have preferred to be out. Your people made it a condition to allow reunification. Don't expect gratidude for a US protection you forced on us at a time when we all had enough of being bound to some superpower. And where we didn't see any need for it with the cold war being over and all that.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Welcome to hopelessness I guess. The open bar is in the back, but alcohol won't be enough, I assure you.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
So the DNC's hope is that everyone dies from environmental destruction before they are fed up with centrism and start seeking solutions that don't jive with their lobbyists? It's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it works out for 'em.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
To be fair, there were a lot of PETA types setting buildings on fire at the time. It's not really fair to blame an administration for the problems that materialize outside of their control.