Democrats retreat on fossil fuel and clean energy subsidies a day into DNC

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
The big lesson NASA had learned (and the DoD still hasn't judging from their stupid fighter jet) is that when you're dropping this kind of money just make specialized tools for the jobs you need, consolidating into a jack of all trades project is a bad idea.
Well, that's where Constellation dropped the bag and SLS picked it back up, despite having several other systemic and structural issues with the program. The Saturn family was a "jack of all trades" project: it was designed from the ground up to be modular and have a configurable stack, to meet a variety of mission portfolio demands. In practice it only boiled down to two configurations, the I/IB which was just an S-I/IB and an S-IVB, and the V which was an S-IC, S-II, and S-IVB.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Well, that's where Constellation dropped the bag and SLS picked it back up, despite having several other systemic and structural issues with the program. The Saturn family was a "jack of all trades" project: it was designed from the ground up to be modular and have a configurable stack, to meet a variety of mission portfolio demands. In practice it only boiled down to two configurations, the I/IB which was just an S-I/IB and an S-IVB, and the V which was an S-IC, S-II, and S-IVB.
Well yes, but that isn't really jack of all trades, there's shared components for sure, which is smart, but compared to the SLS which was really a one size fits none solution where there is only one rocket, one motor, one everything. Constellation and Saturn have shared components, but they're made into tools to do a specific job, which is why Saturn was successful.

Last edited:

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Literally all the arguments for Biden are against Trump because you guys can't defend your awful candidates without resorting to lesser evil arguments.
And when Democrats get the chance, they'll take other parties off the ballot.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
20-30 years is the foreseeable future. This isn't some Star Trek technomagic stuff, we actually are that close.
Strongly disagree with that. Or at least, disagree with being that close in practice.

Literally all the arguments for Biden are against Trump because you guys can't defend your awful candidates without resorting to lesser evil arguments.
Well, I'm sure some people have some positive things to say for Biden, but in my case, yeah, "not as bad as Trump" sums it up.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Yes, because Trump is demonstrably worse and with Biden it would at least slow the bleeding. I wanted Bernie, so stop pretending I'm a Biden fanboy, kid. I'm just more pragmatic than you.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Yes, because Trump is demonstrably worse and with Biden it would at least slow the bleeding. I wanted Bernie, so stop pretending I'm a Biden fanboy, kid. I'm just more pragmatic than you.
Biden is a war criminal who should be arrested, and in the Hague, and not sworn in as president, at least I am a not a war criminal enabler.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Biden is a war criminal who should be arrested, and in the Hague, and not sworn in as president, at least I am a not a war criminal enabler.
Yes you are. I assume you pay taxes like me. And if you never vote, then you also don't get to claim you're doing anything to change the broken system because all you've done is enable it by getting out of its way. We are all so fully encompassed by the system there's no escaping it. How do you think I feel knowing that my tax money is being spent on blowing up civilians in the Middle East? Rhetorical question.

There is no painless solution here, bro. If that's a deal breaker for you, then at this point you're just repeating yourself.

Last edited: