Designer Accuses Microsoft Of Homophobia

Mar 17, 2009
T said:
Homophobia at Lionhead? Really? Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that the company that produced Fable 2, a game in which it is openly stated that characters are gay, you can form homosexual relationships and there's a quest in which you go and find a gay partner for someone, also has people leaving notes around saying "Fag Boy Jim"?
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Also, I'd like to know if Peter Molyneux has commented on this incident yet.

Mar 17, 2009
Danzorz said:
Wow, Microsoft sued AGAIN. Seriously, they are clocking up what 10 law suites a month?

On topic....
Oh, suing for "hurt feelings". Someone hit this man.
Shut up.
Why does it seem so preposterous to you, I mean the guy was riduculed and made fun of for 11 years and when he finally complained about it Microsoft didnt give a crap, that sounds like pretty good grounds for sueing.
And anyway if the guy was really after the money he could of sued for three times as much.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
ultimatechance said:
And come on now, 45k pounds over hurt feelings? I wish I got paid everytime I get depressed.
That's equivalent to about 3 to 5 months of salary for him.

Combine lost wages for time spent finding a new job with some very modest punitive damages (which might just go to pay the lawyer) and I think 45k pounds is quite reasonable.

-- Alex

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Really?
What the hell is wrong with those people?
Seriously between the kicked lesbian and this, I'm starting to think MS is either run by a bunch of suburban 13 year old boys or neo-cons though there's not much difference in mentality there.
WTF MS?

y8c616

May 14, 2008
Danzorz said:
Wow, Microsoft sued AGAIN. Seriously, they are clocking up what 10 law suites a month?

On topic....
Oh, suing for "hurt feelings". Someone hit this man.
And lost earnings, seeing as he quit his job due to the torment

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Honestly, the more I read the escapist, the more I realize how unprofessional it is. I love that bit of sensationalism at the end of the article. Microsoft has a policy against people expressing their sexuality. Someone broke it. Anyone who is up in arms about that is a moron.

Internet Kraken said:
Oh yeah, because money solves everything.

This is garbage. If that guy was seriously hurt by these comments he would not be demanding money as getting money would not help him. He's just trying to exploit these events for a quick buck.
Um, so? No one said money is going to reverse the effects, but it's the most tangible form of compensation. What do you want Microsoft to do? Give him foot massages for a year?

If Microsoft made his work place intolerable, and he had to leave work or deal with depression and it affected him in any serious way, they should compensate him.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
CapnJack said:
Honestly, the more I read the escapist, the more I realize how unprofessional it is. I love that bit of sensationalism at the end of the article. Microsoft has a policy against people expressing their sexuality. Someone broke it. Anyone who is up in arms about that is a moron.

Internet Kraken said:

This is garbage. If that guy was seriously hurt by these comments he would not be demanding money as getting money would not help him. He's just trying to exploit these events for a quick buck.
Um, so? No one said money is going to reverse the effects, but it's the most tangible form of compensation. What do you want Microsoft to do? Give him foot massages for a year?

If Microsoft made his work place intolerable, and he had to leave work or deal with depression and it affected him in any serious way, they should compensate him.
Your missing the point. If money isn't going to help him, then why should he get money? He doesn't need compensation. If he really cared about the events that occurred he would instead force Microsoft to have sessions talking to their workers about sensitivity issues (or something like that). Instead he will instead be satisfied with taking the companies money which in no way prevents these events from happening in the future.

That makes sense.

entwinex

Mar 19, 2009
Normally I'm not in favor of suing for anything "emotional", but I hope this time they'll pay if only for their arrogant attempt to try to make him sign an agreement that he's happy to be bullied. I mean that's just ridiculous.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
So he's been working there for 11 years and suddenly MS buys them, time to cash in...I really don't think that if you just bought out a company you should be responsible for what has happened in the past. It would be like if I went to go get a dog from the pound and a few months later some one comes knocking on my door a few months later because the dog mauled them a year before I got it. It looks like they handled it a bit poorly but really I don't think he can claim the 11 years against MS, and like other people mentioned hes going for the money and not the moral ground.
In my view MS really isn't the homophobic ones they're just having bad luck w/ people who are homosexuals and are trying to make a quick buck. The girl banned for "being a lesbian" when the case really was that she was 1) Breaking the rules by stating any sexuality whatsoever 2) Being banned based on a user reporting system and not directly fished out by any moderator. So basically she got banned for spiting a handful of players (how or why we will never know) and she got her ban, but in her fury she claims it was because MS singled her out.
Now this rolls around, you cannot work in a place for 11 years and suddenly cry wolf. If it was so distressful he should have quit years ago, and after such a long time you would think that he would have confronted his co workers, who knows maybe some of his co workers have known him so long that they make fun of him like regular friends do and his twisting the context to cash off of MS.

Huey1000

Oct 14, 2008
I don't understand the whole thing... he has been the victim of homophobic attacks, yet he thinks 45k pounds will make everything right again?! I'm gay and I've been a victim of homophobic attacks as well, but unlike this asshole I solve my personal problems in a "personal" way, I don't blame corporations who have nothing to do with my personal life for my personal problems (get it!!); and if I have to get violent with those people I will, I may be gay but I'm not a coward!

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Internet Kraken said:

Uh huh. It has nothing to do with the fact that he'll have to find another job, and that he had to get professional help because of the way his co-workers treated him. One of my teachers was harassed for being gay at his old school. He complained to the principal of the school, and was told "Sorry, it's not like you're black or anything like that, so I can't do anything." So the harassment continued, and he felt unsafe being in that environment, so he would take sick days off as often as he could.

Ignorant thing to say.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
CapnJack said:

Internet Kraken said:

Your missing the point. If money isn't going to help him, then why should he get money? He doesn't need compensation. If he really cared about the events that occurred he would instead force Microsoft to have sessions talking to their workers about sensitivity issues (or something like that). Instead he will instead be satisfied with taking the companies money which in no way prevents these events from happening in the future.

That makes sense.
I mean, ideally, in a lovely unicorn-riding-hippie world where rainbows can be caught and taste like cotton candy, people wouldn't jump at a chance to sue each other for an extra buck. But at least, in this guy's case, he actually has a case, and actually has suffered some damages. Besides, maybe he wants to be compensated for being out of a job, and that should have at least some merit. It's not like he's suing them for an astronomical amount. It's pennies to Microsoft, and they'll probably happily settle if he has a case.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Microsoft didn't own Lionhead for 11 years. This is frivolous and once again sexual orientation is used as a strawman, setting back the gay rights movement once again.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Yes let's blame a massive corporation that employs millions(thousands? Whatever, still a big number) when a few individuals with hangups are responsible, that makes sense.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
While this is bullshit, you can't expect a multi-million corporation to be able to control all its employees.

Still, he should receive something for enduring all that.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Homophobia is a terrible thing. But I don't buy that this guy needs forty five grand because he's sad.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
People get bullied and become depressed all the time. Maybe if they became gay, someone would give a shit. Not that these allegations aren't harsh.