"Designer" names

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
Could be worse, there is a child actually named "Audio Science Sossamon".

The child's parent? Shannyn Sossamon: the love interest in the Heath Ledger movie A Knights Tale)

For shame

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Yeah... Zach is the original spelling, then it got turned into Zack, and Zak. But who cares? Names don't say anything about a person at all, which makes me angry at OP for trying to create stereotypes about people.

Corjha

Mar 14, 2008
I know a guy named Proton. He has a brother Neutron and a sister Electron.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I have a pretty nice first name, and I don't mind slightly unique names, but names like "Zehfondah" and "Tyleson" are pushing it.
Also, I have a German last name, but everyone says it wrong. It pisses me off. IT'S A LONG "A" SOUND!

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
MagicMouse said:
Whenever I meet a person named "Shawn" and they spell it "Sean" I always try to make them annoyed by pronouncing it "Seen".

That'll teach 'em.
I'm fairly sure that Shawn is more common in North America than in Europe. I've met plenty of Seans, more than a few Shauns, but never a Shawn. How can we determine the best and most correct spelling?

There, it's settled.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
It's their name they can spell it however the damn well like and you can be as pissed off as humanly possible about it.

Just for the my name is now spelled with a highly elaborate SQUIGGLE.
THAT'S RIGHT I REFUSE TO EVEN USE LETTERS. HAH.

It's a name. Really really, there sooo many other things to invoke ire in the human brain than how someone spells their name.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Well as someone who was almost named "Tiger" (which would have been awesome), I can tell you that I have no problem with "designer names". If you wanna name your kid something ridiculous, as long as it doesn't get them ridiculed for life of course, then go ahead.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Zacharias might also be a name that lead to Zach. Zack is obviously a more modern one from even Zach.

I've always liked my real name. It is not Ben!
It's actually from a hundreds-of-years-old Finnish mythology, and in that it's a magical artifact that brings great fortune to it's holder, making everyone go after it. So the background isn't that bad either.

In Finland we are reasonably strict when it comes to naming babies, so no Train Inspektors, who ever the celebrity was again to bless a kid with that kind of name. You simply can't give anyone a too wacky name 'round 'ere.

There was a trend for about a decade to give kids designerish names, but I suppose it's pretty much passed now. People still want to name their kids uniquely but there are dozens of beautiful names already that are neither too popular, regarded as an old-man's/woman's-name, have a negative sound nor unwanted context associated with them.

Jun 24, 2009
I don't mind odd names too much, but I hate it when they give a girl's name to a boy/boy's name to a girl. Seriously, it's not that hard to find a proper name.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
The most obvious one I can think of is the name Katelyn. There are an obscene amount of spellings for it.

Katelyn
Kaitlyn
Kate-Lynn
Caitlyn
Catelyn

And I'm sure there are more. GAAAHHHH!

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
Charli said:
It's their name they can spell it however the damn well like and you can be as pissed off as humanly possible about it.

Just for the my name is now spelled with a highly elaborate SQUIGGLE.
THAT'S RIGHT I REFUSE TO EVEN USE LETTERS. HAH.

It's a name. Really really, there sooo many other things to invoke ire in the human brain than how someone spells their name.
Woah, calm down dude i just meant it bothers me a bit.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q.

I think that's one of Bono's kids' names.

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
zehydra said:
Yeah... Zach is the original spelling, then it got turned into Zack, and Zak. But who cares? Names don't say anything about a person at all, which makes me angry at OP for trying to create stereotypes about people.
No, i wanted what you think when you see/read/say a name thats mispelled on purpose, such as Marc, or Karly.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
I fucking hate it. I work with the public and it's such a pain in the ass to have to ask EVERY FUCKING PERSON how to spell their name because their parents wanted to make them unique. News flash-it's not special, it's just spelled wrong.

Here's the most retarded one I've seen to date: Ciial

That's pronounced 'Kyle'. I'dve stabbed my mom in the face if she did that to me.
There is a dude named Kyll which is pronounced as Kyle in my TAFE course. Surprise surprise, he gets the shits when people pronounce it "Kill"

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Eumersian said:
Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q.

I think that's one of Bono's kids' names.
Are you serious??!

*2 hours later*

Was, one of Bono's kids names...

*BREAKING NEWS: "Bono's kid was killed today from unknown causes"*

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
The Bum said:
Gudrests said:
Im on the fence about my name here...do you mean John...i hope not..we just name every first boy in the blood line that
No John is a regular name. It is not mispelled, nor is it pretntious. Has there every been a genral named say, Zach pershing?
Actually, I think John used to be spelled Jon back in the day.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
And another thing, don't judge people by their names. If anything, it makes you the stupid one.

You don't get to choose the name you're stuck with. Your parents do. And OP, Zach is not a designer name. Just because something isn't spelled the way you think it should be spelled doesn't make it designer. There are legitimate ways to spell a name differently. Names like John and Jon (short for Jonathan).