Designing a "Serious" Zombie RPG

olee12343

Jun 23, 2009
This sounds like what "I Am Legend" attempted to do in the movie medium. The closest thing that games has to really analyzing the psychological factors behind a zombie invasion is L4D, which relies heavily on teamwork for survival. Other than that, I haven't played any games that really analyzed the psychological factors behind a zombie apocalypse.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I thought this sounded seriously worth a look.
Then I read the words 'Turn based combat'... *sigh*

Oh well...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
i'm now expecting a game where you meet up with the wiseass black guy, the dumb blonde girl, the wise old man, and the resourceful guy

psychological? nah, they'll make it ridiculous because they'll realise the players won't be shocked by yet another zombie attack

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
After reading World War Z, I can imagine how epic an RPG of this type would be, beyond the obvious 'survival' aspects.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Milkman Dan said:
After reading World War Z, I can imagine how epic an RPG of this type would be, beyond the obvious 'survival' aspects.
Think they might do something like the battle of Yonkers?

Arikuza

Apr 21, 2009
I also agree that this is very interesting indeed, except the turn basedness.
I much rather have a FPRPG (Like oblivion, much more immersive in my opinion), but with scarce ammo, and such, but not like it'll change their ideas.
It still sounds like a good game to try.
Zombie Icing... In Stores Now!

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Sounds interesting. What platform(s) will it be for? PC only?

And I don't mind turn-based combat. I'm actually rather surprised by all the people here turned off by turn-based gaming.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Nothing wrong with turn based games. The first 2 fallouts were turned based and so was the X com series.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
This game looks promising. Im not the biggest fan of turn based encounters but I don't hate them.
Im definitely going to check this out.

I still like the one Max and Scobie cooked up in an older thread better.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
what abbout sonny?

your a zombie and its turn based!

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGames/sonny

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Sounded interesting. Then I read "turn based".
They are trying to make a game that is immersive and realistic. But I find nothing realistic about "shot gun. Stand while zombie attacks. rinse, repeat."

ROFLMAO299

Aug 5, 2009
If they have silencers in the game i hope they have more than just one and its for the puny little pistol that won't kill a zombie unless you're five feet away from it. i absolutly hate it when you can't kill zombies from far away and be silent about it.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
I like zombie games, but I don't think turn based will work, as zombie games are usually "Shoot it in da' head a'fore it killes you!!!" I.E., Fast paced shoot-em-ups built (or designed) for people who don't like slow paced games.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
[Svenparty looks at the game article]
[The Article reveals it's turn based combat]
[Svenparty casts "Turn based combat is only good for Pokemon and other Japanese games]
[Article crumples]

YOU WIN!