Desmond Miles May Leave Assassin's Creed Soon

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Desmond Miles May Leave Assassin's Creed Soon

Ubisoft thinks the protagonist of the first two Assassin's Creed games "needs to end."

Modern-day Assassin's Creed character Desmond Miles has been part of the series since the first game, also appearing in Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood, and Revelations. He's been the player's main conduit into the different settings of the main games, being the background force behind ancestors Altaïr and Ezio. While Miles is coming back for the third numbered game, now set during the American Revolutionary War, he might not be with gamers for much longer. Speaking at a Ubisoft press event, Creative Lead Alex Hutchinson said that "Desmond needs to end."

Hutchinson characterized Miles as a wrapper that introduces the stories of Assassin's Creed, comparing his role to that of the narrator in the classic TV show The Twilight Zone. But, he said, there's other ways to frame the story, and in Miles' case, "we eventually do have to wrap it up." He explained the Miles can't stay with the series forever because "things that go on too long lack resonance. We're asking people to remember seven years worth of story." A backlog of four games to get the full story is a lot to ask of someone who is just getting into the franchise, and the best way to eliminate that hurdle is to eliminate Miles.

Miles' absence won't be a huge loss for the series, though. The universe and tone of Assassin's Creed, rather than a specific character, is what ultimately ties all the games together. This is most noticeable in the upcoming Assassin's Creed III, which is "90% a new game," according to Hutchinson. He noted that the new setting, new Assassin, and even new mechanics - did someone say, 'boat warfare?' - make the game almost a new IP. Without Miles, "we could have called it anything else," Hutchinson said. "It's just we like the wrapper of being an assassin and being in this continuing war against Templars. There's huge value in that."

Source: Polygon [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/20/3172656/assassins-creed-star-trek-desmond-end]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010

Nobody will mourn his departure. And I know ill be pushing the boat off the pier.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
gigastar said:

Nobody will mourn his departure. And I know ill be pushing the boat off the pier.
Yes. Precisely this. Seriously, Desmond was so 2D and boring constantly it was hard to care about his plight. He didn't even seem real, just lacking any form of personality or anything of that kind.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I personally never minded Desmond's story, since i enjoy most conspiracy, scientific, actiony...things. But i certainly wouldn't object to them finishing his story, as I would honestly prefer the games to just be set in these historic times and end it at that.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
As much as I love the look of AC3 (and believe me, I cannot wait for this game to come out) I'd have liked for them to have wrapped up the series by setting it in modern day. I know there were always small segments for Desmond, but nothing meaty like with the Ancestors. And it always felt like that's where the series was heading anyway.

I guess we'll see what happens when AC3 comes out. I hate hyping myself up for games, but I'm a complete fanboy when it comes to this series.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
or they could just stop making a new game every year and take the time to make his story more interesting

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I absolutely loathe the framing-device of the series. It's probably why I never took it seriously.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
So the only reason they're all this an Assassin's Creed game is because piggy-backing on the franchise name is gonna make them more money. Glorious

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Problem with Desmond is that he himself has character development... but it's not presented right. We get wrapped up in Ezio and Altair that we forget he even exists till the writers are like 'OH YEAH we got to do that'. And then we're shoved back into modern day era with a character who's growth comes from him being a cypher for his ancestor. His growth isn't really readily apparent because we've ignored him for so long in the story that the fact he's now doing things that the PC ancestor has been doing for four plus hours causes the impact to be utterly lost because we're just like 'OF course your doing that what's the big deal?' Further more his entire supporting cast is made up of a group of Captain Expositions, which means Desmond gets told what's happening around him, who the templars are, and whats the details we've learned from the last animus mission of the story instead of witnessing it for himself which is where normal character growth occurs. That is until the end, where the writers, need to tie everything together, so they'll finally give him something to do because modern day era is why we're in the animus to begin with. SO we get a finale that happens in the real world that falls flat because it's lead character SEEMS stagnate and because the ending only acts as a framing device for the next game and not in anyway conclude anything.

My point is Desmond doesn't suffer from being a bad character so much as bad writing. If they gave him more time to do things, gave him an antagonist or some personal drama that seemed actually as important as what's happening to his ancestors then he could be alot more then merely prologue, chorus, and epilogue to his own story.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
They've already drawn this out far enough with him. Hopefully, his character arc will be finished in ACIII.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Not only have I never minded Desmond but I've always thought that the sci-fi elements of the plot were far cooler then any of the historical stuff. As far as anyone knows AC3 is supposed to be the end of the current plot arc, so I'll be really interested to see how they decide to explore the the Animus after that. I think there's a lot of ground still left to cover with the idea and hopefully that's what they decide to focus on.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Desmond would not have been nearly as stale and silly had you NOT made Revelations and Brotherhood (and killed Lucy)

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
JPArbiter said:
Desmond would not have been nearly as stale and silly had you NOT made Revelations and Brotherhood (and killed Lucy)
Spoilers dude.

OT: Desmond has never bothered me, I won't exactly be sad to see him go, but I also wouldn't care if he was to stay. I just hope they wrap up his story properly.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Small bits of a character throughout up until now 5 main games - bad, has to end.

Three entire games dedicated to one character over and over again - let's keep doing it, but cover it up as DLC.

I really, reeeeaaally don't get Ubisoft these days.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
Well, it makes sense at least that the story with Desmond has to end eventually. There's undoubtedly other Assassins in the world that can be "DNA read" for memories of the past other than Desmond.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Couldn't they just, y'know, end the series?

It's had a good run, but an IP won't last forever.

But in business terms, that's UNTHINKABLE.