Destiny: Loot Plot

Jan 12, 2012
Random drops are less than enjoyable, especially when leveling requires specific gear and there's no way to predict where that gear is. What, did level-appropriate treasure tables not fit in the budget?

*grumbles, returns to Crucible, realizes that the game is using lottery tactics to keep him playing, decides to continue anyways because it's pretty fun*

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Evidently this is a problem they are aware needs fixing. Until then, I guess I'm stockpiling my legendary engrams. :p

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I just got off the Bungie forums because I was tired of people complaining about the loot system. At least this is mildly amusing, but still. Destiny is fun to play, people, regardless of what loot you get. Kind of like Christmas, but I guess you have to be a certain age to figure that out.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
This was pretty great. Also she must be a warlock class because she is making that cigarette float in midair!

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I just got off the Bungie forums because I was tired of people complaining about the loot system. At least this is mildly amusing, but still. Destiny is fun to play, people, regardless of what loot you get. Kind of like Christmas, but I guess you have to be a certain age to figure that out.
So in your mind, repetitive grinding with a bad loot system is fun?

People have some weird taste in terms of game play these days.....

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
It's not the destination that counts but the journey you take. And the second journey, and the third, and the fourth, and the fifth...

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
nodlimax said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:

I am not sure if its the loot system or the level system is my problem with the game, for they both seem tied together after level 20. Maybe if you didn't need the higher level gear for Light Levels it might not be so frustrating to people. I just wonder who thought of merging a loot system that is completely random like Classic Diablo 3 and then gating higher level content to that gear was a good thing?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Good lord. Grey, did a Bungie employee shoot your dog or something?
Also, people, if you really want a game to fart legs at you every two seconds till the experience loses all meaning Torchlight 2 is thattaway->. Now that was a shitty loot system IMO.

I still don't get the hate-on for Destiny, but its largely irrelevant because I'm having tons of fun and It's going to sell enough copies to be profitable and in all likelyhood spawn a sequel that will fix some or all of the issues I have with the foundationaly solid but flawed first try, which is what I generally hope for with a new IP. The fact that this is one of those cases where simply liking something is enough to generate salt is just icing on the cake.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
As a long time WoW player, I have to ask;

Why the fuck do people think they're entitled to loot? Or good loot? Destiny is an MMO - you play for weeks or months in an MMO before getting what you want or need, much less the Best in Slot Item.

Yet Destiny has been out for less than 3 weeks and people already want to be Level 20+10, complete with Best in Slot Items? HA!

Marauder Shields

Sep 17, 2013
major_chaos said:
Good lord. Grey, did a Bungie employee shoot your dog or something?
Also, people, if you really want a game to fart legs at you every two seconds till the experience loses all meaning Torchlight 2 is thattaway->. Now that was a shitty loot system IMO.
This is what you get when you hype the shit out of game and delivers nothing at all.

It's nearly impossible to defend Destiny for what they did except like gunplay and graphic. Compare this game to Borderlands is an insult to gearbox. I would go as far as this game is just Payday 2 but better graphic and the drill(dinkbot) don't jam

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
As a long time WoW player, I have to ask;

Why the fuck do people think they're entitled to loot? Or good loot?
They don't. Legendary engrams have a drop rate of like 3% (that's my drop rate, I don't have a hard number since it's RNG). The percentage of those engrams giving out a legendary item (for me) has been 25% [i/]and I've been called lucky[/i]. I know people who've been playing since day 1 who've never seen a legendary engram. Next add the fact that most end-game stuff, like the best Strike playlists and the only Raid, require you to be level 26. Now to get to level 26 you need 76 Light, but Rare items only give a max of 15 Light. So the max level you can get without Legendaries is 24 (15*4=60, level 25 requires 65 Light).

In short, without good loot it is impossible to do the end-game activities since you will be horribly underleveled. And the only method of getting said loot is a random grab bag.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Sanunes said:
nodlimax said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:

I am not sure if its the loot system or the level system is my problem with the game, for they both seem tied together after level 20. Maybe if you didn't need the higher level gear for Light Levels it might not be so frustrating to people. I just wonder who thought of merging a loot system that is completely random like Classic Diablo 3 and then gating higher level content to that gear was a good thing?
So access to higher level content is... random.

Yeah, that's just stupid and messed up. At the very least provide the player with starter gear when they hit the level cap or the ability to buy the gear with an in-game economy.

The more I hear about this game, the less I want to give it a go. I was never impressed with Halo's controls and guns, so that wedded to a poorly thought-out loot-centric level grinder makes it sounds like a weird circle of hell.

Mind you, they can be fun... for a while. The sense that there's always something happening can cover up serious cracks in a game, but the moment you become bored with the central mechanic is the day you stop playing and never return.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Netrigan said:
So access to higher level content is... random.

Yeah, that's just stupid and messed up. At the very least provide the player with starter gear when they hit the level cap or the ability to buy the gear with an in-game economy.

The more I hear about this game, the less I want to give it a go. I was never impressed with Halo's controls and guns, so that wedded to a poorly thought-out loot-centric level grinder makes it sounds like a weird circle of hell.

Mind you, they can be fun... for a while. The sense that there's always something happening can cover up serious cracks in a game, but the moment you become bored with the central mechanic is the day you stop playing and never return.
Don't take my word as first hand knowledge for my experience with Destiny is playing another person's copy, but from what I have seen from vendors in the game you can buy some legendary gear from participating in the Crucible or Fireteams, but it is a slow process. One account from a person going into Vault of Glass (Level 26 Raid) is that they spent around 50 hours grinding to get ready for it, between grinding reputation followed by grinding the gear itself.

I really think my problem with Destiny isn't a single element, but how multiple elements are interconnected within the game itself.