Dethroning Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3

GiantSpiderGoat

Nov 19, 2009
I wish a new Fps or something similar would enter the arena. I would like a new Jedi Knight game or a star wars game with similar multiplayer to it. Maybe the force unleashed two will have this multiplayer aspect.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
Reach is better that Halo 3 already, and it just moved out of Beta.

IW and MW have managed to dethrone themselves in a titanic orgy of idiocy and corporate ass-grabbing.

Penguinness

May 25, 2010
After playing Halo Reach beta I'm quite pleased with it. I feel it could probably be the best one around when it comes out. They only gave a taste of a couple of maps and gametypes but it was enough to make me play it quite a while.

So if you put together many more maps, gametypes (invasion is my fav), campaign, achievements, you've got a pretty fkn good game. The armor abilities are pretty good, and there'll be game modes without them. I love the plasma pistol. The ranked stuff is purely on skill now, not partial skill partial time like Halo 3 or just pure time put in like MW2.. I guess it's a better system but I'm an achievement whore and like something to stick by me instead of having to earn it every season.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Not trying to be controversial, but new is not automatically better. Reinvention can result in good things being replaced by worse things as the developers don't realise what worked first time around and more subtly the balanced inter-relationships of those things in the previous one.

MW2 apparently has poor spawn points and some people dislike the emphasis on kill-streaks. Those pirate-style guns aren't popular either.

The Halo: Reach Beta was a serious disappointment. It was like EA had tried to copy Halo without understanding what made it great. All the weapons were crap, all the maps were dull (except perhaps Overlook, but that suffered from overly restrictive sight-lines), the jet-packs were underpowered, armor-lock could kill your team (it should just affect jet-pack avionics), the controls weren't properly integrated so it didn't feel like Halo, you played a disempowered short-arse... need I go on?

So, I predict that after the initial buzz, MW2 & Black Ops will lose players to the classic COD4 and Halo 3 Mythic Multiplayer will still be more attractive in the long run than Halo: Reach.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 suffers from having too many of its more interesting weapons locked when you start and a limited bunch of maps. Actually, I played B:BC's multiplayer before the sequel arrived in the post and actually enjoyed it more. The best thing about "2" is the spotting system which makes up for the Xbox LIVE community's immature usage of team-chat.

It is rather optimistic, but one game that may dethrone MW2 & Black Ops that no one seems to have mentioned is Crysis 2:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/10/ex-free-radical-crytek-uk-working-solely-on-crysis-2-multiplay/

Veritas0323

Nov 17, 2009
Uncompetative said:
Not trying to be controversial, but new is not automatically better. Reinvention can result in good things being replaced by worse things as the developers don't realise what worked first time around and more subtly the balanced inter-relationships of those things in the previous one.

MW2 apparently has poor spawn points and some people dislike the emphasis on kill-streaks. Those pirate-style guns aren't popular either.

The Halo: Reach Beta was a serious disappointment. It was like EA had tried to copy Halo without understanding what made it great. All the weapons were crap, all the maps were dull (except perhaps Overlook, but that suffered from overly restrictive sight-lines), the jet-packs were underpowered, armor-lock could kill your team (it should just affect jet-pack avionics), the controls weren't properly integrated so it didn't feel like Halo, you played a disempowered short-arse... need I go on?

So, I predict that after the initial buzz, MW2 & Black Ops will lose players to the classic COD4 and Halo 3 Mythic Multiplayer will still be more attractive in the long run than Halo: Reach.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 suffers from having too many of its more interesting weapons locked when you start and a limited bunch of maps. Actually, I played B:BC's multiplayer before the sequel arrived in the post and actually enjoyed it more. The best thing about "2" is the spotting system which makes up for the Xbox LIVE community's immature usage of team-chat.

It is rather optimistic, but one game that may dethrone MW2 & Black Ops that no one seems to have mentioned is Crysis 2:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/10/ex-free-radical-crytek-uk-working-solely-on-crysis-2-multiplay/
You do realize that Halo: Reach is being made by Bungie who made every other halo game?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
viralshag said:
Why no mention of BF: Bad Company?

When I got that I converted away from Modern Warefare. I think the online at least is a lot more fun.
Because it's not even close to Halo 3 or MW 2 in terms of peak number of players.

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
Nothing will dethrone these two ultimate fan followed pieces of garbage. I play MW2 only because no one is playing anything else and if I play hardcore it actually can be quite challenging while still being fun and it awards my twitch fps style play from years of Counter-Strike, Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament. Those 3 games there need to make comebacks. Quake 4 was shit, CS:Source is outdated and Unreal Tournament 3 was also pretty bad.

I blame Halo for why Quake 4 was bad and the same with Unreal Tournament 3. The suits saw how well Halo was doing and told the designers to make it more like that. And I am not going to hold my breath for a new Counter-Strike anytime soon because Valve loves not making things.

If you ask me, if Reach and MW:Black Ops are the only two things for me to look forward too, I won't be playing too much FPS in the near future. I still am holding out for the new Medal of Honor but again, not expecting much.

Off topic: Someone should dethrone WoW as most played MMO.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
It depends on what Black Ops brings to the table. If they manage to balance out the gameplay(adding recoil, fix weapon damage, remove perks, hopefully add some depth to sniping, reduce explosives range), a lot of people will switch, but some will stay behind so they can continue to abuse the already abused things in MW2.

People are already talking about how the next CoD will be bad just because Treyarch is making it, but I'm hoping they can save us from the abomination that Infinity Ward made.

UltimateHorseradish

Apr 27, 2010
GOW3 FTW!!!
In seriousness... I can't say that Black Ops looks all too special to me because I'm basically a free kill in FPS, and Reach...hmn. Getting mixed signals from reach, again if I'm running around just to be a free kill then stuff that, but then again I sort of came into the live shooter scene a year or so late.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Veritas0323 said:
You do realize that Halo: Reach is being made by Bungie who made every other halo game?
And who published them?

It was Microsoft, now it is EA. Simples.

May 5, 2010
I don't about Reach. I really don't think it's nearly as huge as Halo 3 was. I mean, when Halo 3 came out, it was all people were talking about for months(I was a sophomore in High School at the time) before and after it's release. I'm just not hearing the same buzz about Reach. I think Halo has run it's course, or at least peaked in popularity.

And Black Ops....Yeah, there's no beating MW2. It'll hold people over for MW3, but come on....It's Treyarch. I personally don't think they're that far behind Infinity Ward, but I'm in the minority on that.

Locko96

Jan 18, 2010
Black Ops may not do too much to dethrone MW2 but Reach will be epic. I'll be watching for that one in Wonderful China.

Penguinness

May 25, 2010
Danny Ocean said:
Veritas0323 said:
And who published them?

But from the comment above:

It was like EA had tried to copy Halo without understanding what made it great.
Bungie are still making it, so it's them who know about their games. Unless they gave it to EA to do and decided to go into production of bicycles.

benoitowns

Oct 18, 2009
HokutanZ said:
I think Reach will become the new king of FPS's for a long time considering how well Halo 3 did and how long Halo fans have gone without a new game. I think Black ops will do really well and hopefully kill off MW2 but that's just my two cents.
We hope so. We hope so. MW2 has literally killed my hopes for good multiplayer gaming.. I hope Treyarch is able to overthrow it.

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
kman123 said:
I really hope Reach and Black ops will top the two. Reach was incredibly fun when i played the beta, much more fun than any times i played Halo 3. Black Ops multiplayer could be the same as MW2 though. I'm putting my guns on MoH, multiplayer is developed by DICE ^_^
You kidding me? I hope they blow, cause then I'd have a bit more money kicking around.

I'm training to be a financial planner and I'm always broke... :(

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Danny Ocean said:
Veritas0323 said:
And who published them?

Sorry... lolwut? It'll still be Microsoft because, hey guess what, Microsoft owns Halo. And also, Activision are Bungie's new publishing partners, but only AFTER Reach.

Also, Halo Reach beta was great. Even if it is now 3 month-old code, I felt a lot of the magic back after the very slightly lacking Halo 3 (not being sarcastic. It had something missing but I can't quite decide what).