Deus Ex Gets Augmented with Star Wars Advertisements

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
As much as I cringe when I see the new ads for Star Wars, I couldn't care less when a game advertises in a loading screen. If it's on a console I usually have gone off to do something else (if loading takes a bit to do anyways) and if it's on PC I always play my games in windowed mode and I go bullshit on the internet waiting for the game to load, either way it doesn't effect me or even get in my way of enjoying my games.

It's too bad I can't even afford the game right now, I really like the Deus Ex series...

Dec 14, 2009
Nicolaus99 said:
Never buying Deus Ex anything, ever. Tnx for the warning.
Don't pass off a great game just because of this.

Sure, it's a pain in the arse, but it's not worth not playing a brilliant game.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Come on. It's the future. Shouldn't they be adverts for the 7D augmented hyper-ultra-high-definition Director's Cuts with 110% more Jar-Jar?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Rofl, I bet the pirate version doesn't have ads.

I'm so happy I don't get new releases anymore, the "industry" has succeeded in sucking all the fun out of gaming. Ads break immersion, that is their whole point, they make you think about the product or service being advertised. When I'm playing a game I don't want to think about anything else.

I'm glad I didn't buy this game.

The big publishers can all DIAF as far as I'm concerned. The best gaming experience nowadays are independent games you can buy direct from the developers.

[link href="http://www.minecraft.net"]Minecraft[/link]
[link href="http://positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles"]Gratuitous Space Battles[/link]

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
tanis1lionheart said:
Surely you mean:

I actually really like advertising in universe. It adds a great deal of depth to the world.
But that's just silly. As if they needed more revenue from DX:HR, which is already a great game that as far as I know sold quite well.

Dec 14, 2009
Lukeje said:
Come on. It's the future. Shouldn't they be adverts for the 7D augmented hyper-ultra-high-definition Director's Cuts with 110% more Jar-Jar?
Also, in a flashback, Greedo is shown shooting Han's parents, siblings and pets, and then urinating on their remains, proving that Han is such a great guy, that he won't even kill Greedo until he shoots first.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
So George Lucas isn't content with shitting on his own franchise, he has to take a piss on Deus Ex too.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
What I find annoying isn't so much the ad itself, a little box on my loading screens certainly isn't going to kill me or tarnish my enjoyment of an excellent title, but that the devs would simply patch this in after release which doesn't give anyone the opportunity to vote with their wallets on in-game advertisement.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Someone already posted this yesterday, along with a download link for a modded game file that prevents the game from accessing the web for advertisement purposes. And voila! Star Wars-free Deus Ex.

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
"which are both frequent and long"

I wouldn't say 10 seconds once or twice a mission is either of those.

Its not like loading screens are the most immersive point in a game anyway so I don't think this will bother me.
Hell, for me it's 5 seconds.

And even if it's really THAT bad, well there's this handy-dandy mod to remove them:

http://blog.gib.me/2011/08/23/deus-ex-human-revolution-no-ads/

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Wow, that's bullshit.

Thankfully my SSD and i7 take care of loading screens, so I'll never see it should I replay the PC version.

Dec 14, 2009
Nicolaus99 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Nicolaus99 said:
Never buying Deus Ex anything, ever. Tnx for the warning.
Don't pass off a great game just because of this.

Sure, it's a pain in the arse, but it's not worth not playing a brilliant game.
A man's gotta draw a line somewhere. For me, it's commercials. Particularly in products I've already paid cold hard cash for. TV, Internet; that's just the nature of the beast, it's not like I forked over a wad of cash for content on either. A brand new video game? I'm not going to pay $60+ dollars to have my screen plastered up like some kind of internet malware spam page that inclines me to drive my fist through the TV. It's like paying for HBO and STILL having to sit through commercial breaks.

Whatever Deus Ex's qualities as a game, this is a shameful insult to paying customers. In fact, who allowed this to happen? Ion Storm & Eidos eh? Good to know. Names worth remembering to blacklist in the future. Again, am very grateful to The Escapist for this warning. Was actually considering giving Deus Ex a try.
I understand, but I'm sure you can put your morals aside for one more game?

[small]Do it! You know you want to.[/small]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
"which are both frequent and long"

I wouldn't say 10 seconds once or twice a mission is either of those.

Its not like loading screens are the most immersive point in a game anyway so I don't think this will bother me.
Hell, for me it's 5 seconds.

And even if it's really THAT bad, well there's this handy-dandy mod to remove them:

http://blog.gib.me/2011/08/23/deus-ex-human-revolution-no-ads/
Did I say 10? I meant 2!

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
WHAT THE FUCK?

Jesus, they didn't even try to do it properly, it's just sitting there on a loading screen like a goddamn youtube pop up.

Is this for every loading screen? Who's decision was this?

Lucasfilm ran out of changes to make to their own films so now they're doing them for completely unrelated games...

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Z of the Na said:
Wow, you people will complain about anything these days, huh?
I'm not. I never bought the game, and even once I do, my systems lack internet without bridging a connection through my desktop, which is how these ads get there.

So, no ads for me.