Deus Ex Goes Hollywood

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Hoo yea, even though the movie will probably suck a trout I'm still gonna watch it, trench coat and indoor sunglasses galore.

If I had to make a precognitive guess at to how the movie will look, I'm thinking Equilibrium with more hacking and trench coats, if that's even possible.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
LZeroK said:
Bladerunner the remake?
well it's already getting a sequel...<.<

Though it doesn;t really need a remake... I mean Blade Runner has aged very well...

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
LZeroK said:
EDIT: Before anyone asks.
Deus Ex was loosely based on Bladerunner (theme-wise).
Well yeah, I mean Blade Runner is one of the defining moments in the cyberpunk genre, even before it was an actual genre... sure there were plenty of books and such beforehand, plenty from Philip K Dick, which Blade Runner is based off of... but as far as the standardization of visual motifs and themes, that really didn;t start until Blade Runner and later Neromancer, where the term cyberpunk comes from...<.<

but pretty much all cyberpunk visuals are derived from Blade Runner... period... we tend to forget just how influential Blade Runner was, as far as visual design goes...<.<

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
RaeAlethea said:
Only if Elias Toufexis is cast as Adam Jensen. He embodies that role!

Just sayin'

I do think that the story would make a great movie, but what would they do about the endings?
Well they could always make it an ambiguous ending... you know, leave the audience guessing, Inception style...<.<

Also, whether intentionally or not, the Adam's character design looks a lot like the games art director...<.<

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Inb4 "I didn't ask for this"
I totally asked for this. Deus Ex is easily one of the few games that could actually translate well to film because, as the writer said, deals with a lot of philosophical ideas as well as action, among other things. Though I wouldn't hold my breathe too much seeing as how good a story Max Payne had and how badly they butchered that.
I agree that this is one of the rare few games that could actually work well as a movie. Personally I have two basic criteria's:

1. The game has a distinct tone or feel in that the brand can be recognized with an adapted script that breaks away from the game's story (see: Tomb Raider). This is necessary since you can't exactly cram a 10-30 hour game into a 2 hour movie, liberties must be taken.

2. The game uses a good setting/genre that is underutilized in Hollywood. Difference in quality/budget aside, Prince of Persia is a good idea because there's a lack of swashbuckling 'Arabian Nights' movies. Max Payne doesn't work because there's an endless amount of tough guy cop movies out there.

Deus Ex: HR should work great because it's flexible enough that you can adapt it to a movie script and there aren't a lot of good cyberpunk movies out there at the moment. So at this point whether the movie works or not depends on how much Hollywood is willing to invest in it, whether it gets a real budget with legit actors and film people or if they just push it aside and hand it the Uwe Boll treatment.

RaeAlethea

Feb 25, 2012
Sacman said:
RaeAlethea said:
Only if Elias Toufexis is cast as Adam Jensen. He embodies that role!

Just sayin'

I do think that the story would make a great movie, but what would they do about the endings?
Well they could always make it an ambiguous ending... you know, leave the audience guessing, Inception style...<.<

Also, whether intentionally or not, the Adam's character design looks a lot like the games art director...<.<

Don't quote me on this, but I kind of remember him saying that he DID base the appearance on himself. I'd have to watch that "making of" movie that came with the game again. It was either based on him, or someone remarked at the similarities. Frankly, if I was an art director of a videogame, I'd put myself in there somewhere, but probably not as the main character. I mean, honestly, who'd want to play as me in a game?

Apr 5, 2008
It was inevitable really. Best game (tied with Skyrim) of 2011 (and the last 12 months too) with a story that actually *had* a story, an identifiable aesthetic, interesting characters and enough *cool* to fill two games, it's better than anything Hollywood could come up with for the last few years. Most blockbusters now are based on comics, and even things like Lord of the Rings are cool. Games were the next logical step. Although in truth anyone who would go to see the film should just play the game. It's better, more immersive and interactive.

Now where's the Witcher film? Or Dragon Age? Or Alpha Protocol?

Full

Sep 3, 2012
I love Deus Ex, and it could definitely work as a movie. I'm interested to see if this will be another DOOM, a surprise or maybe it just gets cancelled. Either way, I'm happy that movie audiences might get to hear this lore and story.

Also, that writer has made some objectionably bad things. Just saying.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
MichiganMuscle77 said:
They HAVE to cast Jensen right. Even if the movie is good, miscasting the role would ruin it.

I would going to suggest Adrien Brody since he looks similar, but he doesn't have enough of a bad-ass, tough-guy persona.

Even though i'm pretty sick of him, Brad Pitt with dyed hair could pull it off. He's a good actor and has roughly the same build as Jensen and can definitely pull off the bad ass persona.
I'd have to go with Timothy Oliphant in a casting decision. And I offer his turns in Deadwood and Justified as proof of his suitability.

We'll just ignore Hitman

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
A Deus Ex: HR movie could be awesome, just check the extended trailer for the game

The Deus Ex: HR book the Icarus effect would make a decent movie too. It is probably one of the few games that would make a good movie, probably because the game is very cinematic itself.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Keanu Reeves is going to play Adam Jenson.

I mean come on, whether you like or hate that fact, you know that there's a very good chance that I'm right. Serious, stylized cyberpunk dude, the guy at the helm worked with him before. Picture Keanu Reeves saying, "I never asked for this". Or any Jenson lines. You may still hate the idea, but you have to admit that it fits.

Personally, i'm cautiously optimistic. Deus Ex could work as a movie. It's stylized and cinematic enough that it could survive the translation intact. Besides, there are other cyberpunk movies that can guide them into the proper look and feel of the thing.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
They should get Statham to play Adam^^.

I thought the game was good, but the story was kinda rubbish, so not that hyped for a movie. 2 hours of people without personalities whispering harshly about political intrigue and sci-fi related stuff, riveting!

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
Why not just a Deus Ex movie in general? Set in the same world, with a new story of it's own, further exploration of the human condition and all that good stuff?

I know they're probably going to put in a few twists to differentiate the movie from the game, but I don't think an original story set up from the events of the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution would go amiss.

As long as they stay away from Invisible War.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
I always wonder why people watch movie adaptations of books they read. Is it to check if they imagined it correctly?

With a video game adaptations there is not even that. You're watching to see how close they got.

Weird.