Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut: Dem Glasses

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
First off, let me start by saying, yes, I have googled this. So recently I've been meaning to replay DE:HR anyway and the release of the Director's Cut was a perfect excuse to do so. Now, At this very moment I'm locked in a self induced conversation wheel time lock staring into Adam Jenson's eyes.

More specifically, I've found myself standing opposite David Sarif in close quarters and yet the reflection in Adam's glasses appears to be that of a street scene. As far as I can tell, it seems to be some sort of shop/store front with the wording "The Corner Place" above the door.

It's been quite some time since I played DE:HR and I honestly can't remember if this was in the original version or not. Anyone able to shed some light on whether this is new or old? I would like to think it is something significant but, sadly, I assume it is just laziness on the developer's part.

For additional discussion value, has anyone else been enticed by the Director's Cut edition? Thoughts?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ehh, they removed the yellow filter.

I'm not exactly happy about paying more for a game I already have but the filter removal apparently shows how bad the textures in-game really are.

The fact that the cut-scenes still have it is even worse.

Directionless

Nov 4, 2013
I got the Director's cut, and the lack of a yellow filter just makes the game looks so much better. There is a much better contrast between light and dark now (Which is so essential in streets with neon lighting). The developer commentary is cool, but depressing. There is so much they cut or wanted to add in that would've made the game even better.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
It's pretty common for reflections in games to just be of a generic landscape. Same with Master Chief's helmet and the scope of a rifle in Call of Duty.
As for this, I've played through the vanilla game several times and never noticed it, I think his lenses just shine rather than reflect.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Because I already owned the game and the expansion, I got to upgrade for $5. For me the attraction was not the minor graphics upgrade or the director commentary but the redone boss fights, honestly, having a version that fixes what for me was the worst aspect of Human Revolution was worth a measly $5. Now I can beat bosses without firing a shot if that's the way I've built my character. Yes, this should have been the way the original game was, it wasn't, but the game was still good. Not many companies would go back to the drawing board to fix such a big part of the game and then offer the upgraded version to current owners for such a small sum. I think it will be up to the individual as to whether it's worth it or not.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Jason Rayes said:
Because I already owned the game and the expansion, I got to upgrade for $5. For me the attraction was not the minor graphics upgrade or the director commentary but the redone boss fights, honestly, having a version that fixes what for me was the worst aspect of Human Revolution was worth a measly $5. Now I can beat bosses without firing a shot if that's the way I've built my character. Yes, this should have been the way the original game was, it wasn't, but the game was still good. Not many companies would go back to the drawing board to fix such a big part of the game and then offer the upgraded version to current owners for such a small sum. I think it will be up to the individual as to whether it's worth it or not.
I didn't upgrade specifically because I think everything that they're selling in the directors cut should have been a patch for the game.

They fucked up the boss fights ROYALLY, and rather than fix them in a patch like they should have they decided to instead charge money for fixing something that was clearly broken.

I mean really, what's next, charging to fix bugs and glitches?

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
And honestly that's a fair enough opinion, that's why I said it would be up to the individual. If they had done this a couple of months after the game was released Id have been a lot more pissed. Essentially though we are getting the WiiU version bells and whistles for an extra $5 several years on when I'd personally given up on ever seeing the bosses fixed. I was about due for a replay (New PC) so for me the $5 was worth it. For others I could see why it would be less so, and as I said, if they had done this a few months after release and expected me to pay Id be giving them the middle finger.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
I didn't upgrade specifically because I think everything that they're selling in the directors cut should have been a patch for the game.

They fucked up the boss fights ROYALLY, and rather than fix them in a patch like they should have they decided to instead charge money for fixing something that was clearly broken.

Its more of an expansion pack/game of the year edition type thing. They change a few things here and there, add a few things, and then releasing it. I'm actually a little surprised they gave a discount at all.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
uchytjes said:
Its more of an expansion pack/game of the year edition type thing. They change a few things here and there, add a few things, and then releasing it. I'm actually a little surprised they gave a discount at all.
Yeah this was pretty much my take. I've never had a GOTY edition offer me a discount because I owned most of the stuff. So meh $5 for the new bosses plus the Tong missions that I didnt have already, I was actually ok with that.

SayHelloToMrBullet

Sep 6, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:

The boss fights weren't broken though. They were shit certainly, but level design is not the sort of thing you change in a patch. It's additional content. They had every right to charge for it.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
SayHelloToMrBullet said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

The boss fights weren't broken though. They were shit certainly, but level design is not the sort of thing you change in a patch. It's additional content. They had every right to charge for it.
It's possible to VERY EASILY make the boss fights unbeatable by not having a lethal weapon, which most people wouldn't think to have if they were using a non-lethal class. I'd say that's pretty fucking broken considering Deus Ex is a stealth game, and you get to the first winnable boss fight about over 3 hours into the game, meaning that if you aren't carrying a lethal weapon you've just lost three hours of your life and have to start over.

But no, please tell me how the boss fights were in no way broken.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
SayHelloToMrBullet said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

It's possible to VERY EASILY make the boss fights unbeatable by not having a lethal weapon, which most people wouldn't think to have if they were using a non-lethal class. I'd say that's pretty fucking broken considering Deus Ex is a stealth game, and you get to the first winnable boss fight about over 3 hours into the game, meaning that if you aren't carrying a lethal weapon you've just lost three hours of your life and have to start over.
Every boss fight area had a cache of lethal weapons and ammo lying around. The first one even had explosive barrels littered around the room.

Except maybe the final boss area, I don't remember.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
SayHelloToMrBullet said:

But no, please tell me how the boss fights were in no way broken.[/quote]
The bosses can all be beaten with the taser electro prod thingy. It is just faster and easier (much easier) to use the Typhoon.

Does the Director's Cut still have Jensen break cover and stumble into ambushes? That annoyed me more than the actual boss fights.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I have it and I like it. I like the new boss fights (even if you still can't be super sneaky during them), and the graphics are groovy enough. The real selling point for me though is the integration of the Missing Link DLC and that other mission with Tracer Tong in it with the main game. I never bothered with the original DLC even though I bought it because it was kind of silly to play something supposedly "in the game" outside of it.

But yeah, it's rad for 5$. The commentary is interesting, too, and I get to get all the achievements again and boost my total even more. Hooray!

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
NeutralDrow said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
SayHelloToMrBullet said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Every boss fight area had a cache of lethal weapons and ammo lying around. The first one even had explosive barrels littered around the room.

I don't remember the first boss fight having any weapons in the room. There was ammo for the pistol, the assault rifle, and the shotgun, and some grenades, but there weren't any actual guns. My memory of that could be fuzzy since it's been years since I played it, but I remember restarting my play-through completely because I couldn't kill the boss in that room and didn't have any other saves where I could pick up a gun beforehand.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
I don't remember the first boss fight having any weapons in the room. There was ammo for the pistol, the assault rifle, and the shotgun, and some grenades, but there weren't any actual guns. My memory of that could be fuzzy since it's been years since I played it, but I remember restarting my play-through completely because I couldn't kill the boss in that room and didn't have any other saves where I could pick up a gun beforehand.
I second this. I think there were stashes from the second boss onwards, but the first boss' area only had ammo. The only reason I didn't get stuck there on my first playthrough was because I happened to have a pistol with shittons of ammo on me as an option for a possible "if-everything-goes-wrong" scenario.

That said, I am the same as the others before me: I gladly shelled out $5 for this. I was meaning to replay the game anyways, so it came just at the right time for me.

Pickles

That Ice Ain't Nice
Mar 1, 2012
Country
Australia
Dirty Hipsters said:
NeutralDrow said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
SayHelloToMrBullet said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Yeah there were definitely a couple of weapons in the room, but it was far from ideal for a non lethal run. I'm tempted to check it out now that the boss fights are a bit better, they really were the worst part of the game before.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
My biggest complaint about the boss fights was that they took away choice, something that was always a part of the Deus Ex series, you always had multiple options available at any one time. Even in HR itself, outside the boss fights there is a great deal of choice, when I read that the boss fights had been outsourced to a different company I wasn't surprised, they felt like they were shoehorned in from another game entirely.

SayHelloToMrBullet said:
Yeah, it required a complete redesign, not just a patch, I think that's why its taken a few years to arrive and its why I don't mind shelling out a few bucks for it. I actually liked that I only had to pay $5 for the upgrade rather than have to buy the whole thing again. I know certain companies who would have made you do just that.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
I suppose it's worth mentioning I'm a few hours into the game now and loving it just as much as I did the first time around.

Like others are saying, I'm happy how they've properly integrated the add-on missions into the main game this time around. I too bought the Missing Link when it was released but never actually worked up the effort to play it because it wasn't properly attached to the main game.

All in all, considering I was planning on re-playing the game anyway, I was happy to pay out for the Cut. Especially considering it only cost me just over £3 with the discounts and the spare change I had in my Steam Wallet.