Deus ex: Human revolution first thoughts

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
AC10 said:
Being a completionist, this game is a nightmare!

Maybe I'm crazy OCD, but you can make so much money doing tedious things. For instance, a shotgun sells for (i think) 360 and a pistol for 180. However, if you pick up a gun you already have it just adds ammo. This is inefficient, so I have to pick up one gun, sell it, go back pick up another, sell it, go back; etc.

It's boring, it takes forever, but it makes good cash.

As I said in another thread, the bias towards stealth is frustrating. Ghost, Smooth Operator and Silent Knockouts give more experience than any other method, thus making the whole "choose how you approach it" thing not really a choice at all. Given that, why do we even need weapon upgrades if the game doesn't want us to use them?
No maybe about it, that's crazy OCD :p

That's actually a clever moneymaking scheme, but it doesn't sound nearly worth the tedium of carrying it out.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm loving it so far. But I do have one gripe, the energy bar for stealth takedowns is kind of annoying.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Curse you, people of whatever country you are in *g*.

Preordered it from steam... Starts tomorrow...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
drummond13 said:
AC10 said:

Maybe I'm crazy OCD, but you can make so much money doing tedious things. For instance, a shotgun sells for (i think) 360 and a pistol for 180. However, if you pick up a gun you already have it just adds ammo. This is inefficient, so I have to pick up one gun, sell it, go back pick up another, sell it, go back; etc.

As I said in another thread, the bias towards stealth is frustrating. Ghost, Smooth Operator and Silent Knockouts give more experience than any other method, thus making the whole "choose how you approach it" thing not really a choice at all. Given that, why do we even need weapon upgrades if the game doesn't want us to use them?

That's actually a clever moneymaking scheme, but it doesn't sound nearly worth the tedium of carrying it out.
Yeah, it's pretty excruciating. I also suffer from pack-rat syndrome. I don't know when or if something will come in handy, or if it's even ever going to be useful. For instance, I found a sniper rifel and the bloody thing is huge! However, I don't want to take it out of my inventory because it's very expensive and I might need it some time.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
As someone who never played the originals(I was 9 or 10), this game is excellent. The takedowns are incredibly badass, the boss fights are difficult and some situations are very difficult to get out of, like in TYM after you talk to the lady(vague to prevent spoilers).

I find the verbal bosses child's play. I haven't fucked one up yet. Even the first one before I had the social aug. The voice acting, well, it's video game voice acting, I never really expect much, though I think he sounds way too evil.

Stealth has some extra rewards, as does leaving people alive, I'm not particularly certain why since open combat is often more difficult than being a sneaky bastard. Not that I mind, I love being a sneaky bastard.

NOTE: EMP grenades are extremely helpful, especially if you get the aug that shields you against them.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Yeah load times are a pain especially in the really difficult parts such as the bosses or...
when the helicopter (thing) goes down and you have the option to save Malik. Parts like these are excruiatingly difficult, especially if you're going for non-lethal.

My biggest complain however is the endings. I'm not sure how many people have made it to the end of the game and really have simmilar concerns but I'm really disapointed by them. Each of the main three seems just like another way to ruin mankind, and the decient story in turn, under the pretense of doing something good. For one they seemed rushed and simply incomplete, in this respect I remember Yhatzee saying something about how it was best to spend the most effort on the beginning and the end because the middle portions don't matter as much in the end.
To stop dancing around the matter and get into the specifics I though that...
the main three choices greatly contradicted the vibe of the original's canonical ending of letting the world free of the choices made by people 'above' them. Each one has ups and downs, as they should, but to me they all come off as just not feeling right.

The last ending, the blow up Hyron ending seems to me the most likley ending to be considered canonical but even as is isn't particularly good, or cheery. I can undertand sacrificng yourself because of what you belive in but when you're killing several hundred other people in the process, many of which who have been naratively degraded into their politcal views and all of which have no say in the matter, it's just stupid. To me it also seems like in this ending Adam would also have significant regrets. Noone would ever know what happened in the end (though that is the point) and the justification behind it (he could just send a message saying that it would be better for the world to decide for themselves), he never got to say a fairwell to anyone, including Megan, and the members of the Illuminati were never discovered. It's increadibly stupid and disapointing to me because all of those issues could be fixed with just 10 lines of dialogue between Adam and the AI (forget her name at the moment) so the AI could get the general message out to the public and specific persons. After all the AI didn't get destroyed, it's still in Montreal!

That just really bugged me and is really dampening my experience on an otherwise, great game.

sarttan

Apr 5, 2011
Good news. They just updated [H+]3 to have faster loading screens, and thank goodness for that.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
A little late for some of us, but its still quite nice to see that they're promt about fixing the big issues.

Sep 14, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
What I love about it, is how it's basically the original game in almost every way with some modern changes i.e guns and cover.
gmaverick019 said:
loving it.

the only problem that i have with it, is the loading times, which is odd because mass effect 2/new vegas/civ V which i have all played the past month hardcore, have had next to no load times (new vegas loaded within 1-2 seconds consistent) while deus ex takes a solid 15-20 seconds usually to load if i died or something.

which yeah that's a very very small problem, but when you have to make a jump across the roof and accidently forget to press the sprint button and fall to your death, its annoying as hell to waste 2-3 minutes just for loading and retrying.
Some people in the community have done some tests, on the PC version anyway, to determine what is causing the long load times. Apparently it's a bug in the engine that directly links the rate at which it reads files to the frames per second. So essentially, the game reads X number of files a second where X is equal to your FPS, rather than all of them. This should get patched soon, if you're still having problems, turn off Vsync and allow your system to run the highest number of FPS for the fastest load times.
so just wanted to follow up on it, i turned off v-sync, and holy shit, my load speeds went from 20-30 seconds to 5-7 seconds tops

FUCKIN CHRIST, i went from frown to grin at the speed of light having that happen, especially considering the fact anytime doing stealth i save/load 10000x to make sure i get it just right..

so thanks for the tip, and just quoting so other people who might be having the same problem can no this works.

Sep 14, 2009
AC10 said:
drummond13 said:
AC10 said:

Yeah, it's pretty excruciating. I also suffer from pack-rat syndrome. I don't know when or if something will come in handy, or if it's even ever going to be useful. For instance, I found a sniper rifel and the bloody thing is huge! However, I don't want to take it out of my inventory because it's very expensive and I might need it some time.
the sniper rifle is awesome to use fyi ;]

especially on armored buggers, idk if you noticed but the tranq rifle only hits to a certain range, while that sniper rifle hits headshots from across the maps with great precision and accuracy.