Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
Okay let me first preface this post with saying That I do not pirate, nor do I condone piracy. Our game designers put a lot of time and effort into their games and they deserve our money...

Except maybe the Dev. team behind Superman 64... seriously who actually tested that and said "Oh yeah, this is ready to hit the shelves." but I digress...

I have a friend who doesn't share these values with me.

He recently dl'd an incomplete, early buggy copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and said he played 5 minutes of it and was so impressed he went out to gamestop and put all the money down to reserve it. This guy is a major critic he is very hard to please.

I'm giddy as a school boy for this game now.

rofl jet

Aug 23, 2009
So he was able to steal the game but bought it anyway, good man.
Though perhaps he could have just waited for a demo.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
I think in this case for him he just couldn't wait for a demo... he is a huge Deus Ex fan he got me into the series.

Richard Hannay

Nov 30, 2009
The "leaked" version is supposedly the first 20% of the game (it does end after the first major boss encounter). I've gotten several hours of play out of it myself; it's basically a lengthy demo (with a few sound clipping issues here and there with a very rare unexplained crash to desktop issue). Given the state of the released build not to mention the relative timeliness of it, I have my suspicions that the "leak" may not have been entirely against Eidos Montreal's wishes.

That said, intentional or not, it's generating positive word of mouth and deservedly so. If I hadn't already preordered it, I would have after playing this.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I recently succumbed to possible disapointment and pre-ordered/purchased the Steam version. I am still sceptical but based on previews in two PC mags I thought I'd give it a try. Mind you one of those mags thought that Homefront was going to be awesome. The other though, is well trusted, and they liked the preview but remained sceptical but it was this magazines mention of playing through and not shooting or taking down any enemy except an unavoidable boss fight that gives me enough hope to preorder. I figure for $44 I could risk it (it is pre-ordering for $90 in most retail store in Australia).

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Like Yahtzee, I think I'll go the pessimistic route and still just assume it's going to be like Invisible War. That way it might be an awesome surprise.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Richard Hannay said:
I have my suspicions that the "leak" may not have been entirely against Eidos Montreal's wishes.
Haha yeah. This is like the best early press they could have had.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
My friend said it played a lot like the first... Which sadly in the general market of action RPGs today that is actually a step forward as opposed to a step back.

Smerf

May 4, 2011
i first played the origanal game on my laptop, didnt have any idea what it was. now i love it but cant get my friends to play it. pre-ordered it on steam as soon as i could.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
It takes most every fiber in my being to not go download the "demo" every waking moment of the day.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
I have to admit, I had a very hard time getting into the original Deus Ex. In addition, I purchased the steam version of invisible war, which means I got the insufferable 10 minute loading screens.

However, the parts of the game I was able to play were quite fun. If Human Revolution is a toned up, less buggy version of Invisible War, I think I might end up enjoying it. Assuming my PC can run it, of course.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
Grinderbilly said:
So if you don't pirate (bullshit, but I digress) then why are you wetting yourself over making a point of not pirating?

The innocent don't have to answer for non-existent misdeeds.

I simply wanted to make sure it was clear that I wasn't telling people to go download this "demo" I just wanted to inform people that it looks awesome.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
believer258 said:
Ha! I think your friend might be a front for what you actually did, and you don't want to admit it on a website as sensitive as The Escapist!!!!

Actually, I really don't care if you did it or not. Hell, it isn't like the game's released yet and I will guarantee you that plenty of people on this site have indeed downloaded the whole demo leak for themselves. The more I hear about it, the more I like it. It sounds quite fun.
Eeyup. Honestly, I don't think you'll get in trouble for admitting to downloading it. Someone right above us wrote a full on preview of it, after all.

And it is fun, quite a lot. I'd have played it more myself but the computer I was running it on wasn't quite up to snuff, and I could only hope for about 20-30 fps at the best of times.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Michael Brunson said:
He recently dl'd an incomplete, early buggy copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and said he played 5 minutes of it and was so impressed he went out to gamestop and put all the money down to reserve it.

I'm giddy as a school boy for this game now.
5 minutes? He didn't even get to the first open city section...

Myself, I played about 3 hours into the beta, and replayed the first augmented mission a couple times to show it off to friends. I was damn impressed.

If I hadn't already paid my 60 bucks for the augmented edition I might feel bad about this, but I do not! Do Not I Say!

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
I'm testing this build, because Duke Nukem pissed me off beyond reason, and I canceled my pre-order of it. So I am bored. I'll be getting the best edition Eidos has to offer for Deus Ex, regardless if the pre-build puts a bad taste in my mouth.

You know why? Because it's clear they put effort and care into the game. The setting alone is interesting. So even if the game is buggy, and/or the mechanics not that great, I'll still be glad I got it, because I want to see more like it.

It's like Blade Runner, even if you don't really care for the movie, you're pretty satisfied after watching anyway.

Not so much, for Duke Nukem Never.

distended

Oct 15, 2010
Grinderbilly said:
So if you don't pirate (bullshit, but I digress) then why are you wetting yourself over making a point of not pirating?

The innocent don't have to answer for non-existent misdeeds.
The whole post smacks of bullshit. I doubt there's a whole lot of pirates running around throwing money at preorders of games like DX:HR, which while it may be a great game, probably isn't gonna make a "major critic" who is "very hard to please" flip his shit.