Deus Ex: Human Revolution

distended

Oct 15, 2010
arragonder said:
yet more proof people on here never do their own god damn research. And I'd probably get banned for correcting you because of the escapist's batshit rules.
Lol... I suppose you have some sort of accurate, widely available data on the relationship between pirates and preorders.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Michael Brunson said:
I have a friend who doesn't share these values with me.

He recently dl'd an incomplete, early buggy copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and said he played 5 minutes of it and was so impressed he went out to gamestop and put all the money down to reserve it. This guy is a major critic he is very hard to please.

I'm giddy as a school boy for this game now.
Am I unknowingly friends with you IRL? Because that describes me completely :p

Though, I got the Augmented Edition on Steam. The game is a dream come true (and a possibly Duke Nukem Forever style tragedy averted).

Also, the prebuild is just a bit buggy. You should really give it a shot.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I saw a little bit of that demo. Basically, someone just throwing C4 at his friends to watch them slowly and laboriously realize the threat, and stupidly stumble out of the way. It was pretty hilarious to watch, but another indication that I shouldn't look at an unfinished art.

DeadEyeDan

Mar 23, 2010
It's only 2 months away. I can resist I can resist I can resi......

Mind you I'd much rather get the full experience all at once, because with this essay I'm supposed to be doing as my witness - Deus Ex is the greatest game ever and if HR is even 10% as good as it I will die a happy man.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I preordered my augmented edition yesterday :D :D :D I can't wait!! I loved the core gameplay ideas behind the original and the limited technology imo really held it back from being truly great. Human Revolution is a chance for Eidos to put out the definitive vision of Deus Ex and I'm fucking stoked.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
If Eidos asked people who dl'd the leak for their opinions on it, I doubt the Escapist would have a problem with people talking about it (obviously, many people on this thread have been talking about it).

That said, I haven't played the leak, and I don't want to. I pre-ordered long before the leak, so I'm just a-waiting until the game comes out in its entirety. If anything, all the press is merely confirmation to me that my pre-order was not wasted.

distended

Oct 15, 2010
arragonder said:
See above post about not wanting to get banned. Just wanted to yell at you for being ill informed.
See above post where I imply you're talking out of your ass.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I love Deus Ex. I still play it from time to time.

Deus Ex: Invisible War was to me the single greatest disappointment in my entire time as a gamer. Not exaggerating in the slightest.

I had massively high hopes for it, I was loving everything I was hearing about it, the trailers looked pretty cool, I had my pre-order about a year in advance, I had my promotional t-shirt... I was psyched. The install process felt like it was going so slow that time had perhaps frozen, because I just couldn't wait any longer to play.

Then the intro cinematic happened. Then the training level happened. I was shocked at what I got for all my expectations. I tried my best to be objective, that this was a brand new game, that it needed to be judged upon its own merits. I used all my willpower to be optimistic. I played through the entire game. I then uninstalled, quietly reflected to myself, and didn't touch the game for years.

When I heard about the prequel, I decided to play the first two games again to get myself brushed up on the universe again. I was hesitant about IW, but I decided that maybe I just made bad choices in the game the first time around, so I resolved to do the exact opposite of everything I did in my first playthrough. I still hated the game. It was ugly, even by the standards of the time. It was buggy. It had universal ammunition. The skills and augmentations were all watered down. The characters were completely forgettable - even the ones that in the original game were completely unforgettable. The writing was awful. The story was atrocious. Just a complete and total waste.

I really, really want Human Revolution to be the Deus Ex universe continuation that I had been so hopeful for. I really want to find myself completely in love with it. But after how bad Invisible War scarred the gamer in me, I can't help but be cautious and not get my hopes up to high. I mean... regenerating health? Item highlighting? Third-person snap-cover? A past that looks significantly more technologically advanced than the future? Mech agents that appear to be so powerful that I question why Nano Augmented agents would have been considered an upgrade? Skepticism of this game's quality as a worthy Deus Ex title is constantly rising.

But of course, I'll still buy it. I'll even shell out for the collector's edition. I'll still be there for the midnight release. I'll still wear my old promotional Deus Ex t-shirt. Partly to give this game the benefit of the doubt, but mostly out of respect for the game that pretty much solidified my interest in video games.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
I've been watching quite a few Let's Plays on the leak and from what I can tell it's pretty damn amazing. The amount of options are enormous and significant. Gunplay, stealth, and exploration are all evenly balanced. The story is both complicated, gripping, and full of choices. The game allows for so many types of play that even maniacal gamers will have a hard time ruining it for themselves. And to top it off it just looks absolutely gorgeous.

I've never played the first one and I'm seriously considering it. Not because I'm interested in the rest of the series, but because I'm almost dying at the prospect of waiting over 2 months for the release of this magnificent game. I always keep a list of my 10 favorite games in my head. Once a game is replaced on that list and bumped down to 11 that game is gone for good. I have a feeling Human Revolution is gonna find a nice spot somewhere around Bioshock and Shadow of the Collosus.

Also, I really want to play it, in case you didn't realize...

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Legendairy314 said:
I've been watching quite a few Let's Plays on the leak and from what I can tell it's pretty damn amazing. The amount of options are enormous and significant. Gunplay, stealth, and exploration are all evenly balanced. The story is both complicated, gripping, and full of choices. The game allows for so many types of play that even maniacal gamers will have a hard time ruining it for themselves. And to top it off it just looks absolutely gorgeous.

I've never played the first one and I'm seriously considering it. Not because I'm interested in the rest of the series, but because I'm almost dying at the prospect of waiting over 2 months for the release of this magnificent game. I always keep a list of my 10 favorite games in my head. Once a game is replaced on that list and bumped down to 11 that game is gone for good. I have a feeling Human Revolution is gonna find a nice spot somewhere around Bioshock and Shadow of the Collosus.

Also, I really want to play it, in case you didn't realize...
May as well play the first one, Your computer can probably play it if it came out in the last ten years and I think it is only like ten bucks online. It is a among the best games ever made probably/ Also, if you hate playing PC games you can just get the dumbed down port for the PS2.
Speaking of dumbed down I actually I liked the Second Deus Ex A LOT, actually more than most games. It is just that the second one wasn't as good as the first.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
thenamelessloser said:
Speaking of dumbed down I actually I liked the Second Deus Ex A LOT, actually more than most games. It is just that the second one wasn't as good as the first.
It probably would have been a better game to me if I hadn't had such absurdly high expectations for it. I was young(er) and stupid. I felt like a kid who just unwrapped a Christmas present that I'd been waiting very impatiently for, saw the box of the item, cried tears of joy, then realized that my parents had just used an empty box to package something completely different and unrelated. That completely different and unrelated thing could have still been a very nice present, but it wasn't what I had really wanted, it wasn't what I had been so impatiently waiting for, so now it gets to hide in the back corner of my closet with the itchy, ugly sweaters from auntie Patricia. /sigh

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Tuesday Night Fever said:
thenamelessloser said:
It probably would have been a better game to me if I hadn't had such absurdly high expectations for it. I was young(er) and stupid. I felt like a kid who just unwrapped a Christmas present that I'd been waiting very impatiently for, saw the box of the item, cried tears of joy, then realized that my parents had just used an empty box to package something completely different and unrelated. That completely different and unrelated thing could have still been a very nice present, but it wasn't what I had really wanted, it wasn't what I had been so impatiently waiting for, so now it gets to hide in the back corner of my closet with the itchy, ugly sweaters from auntie Patricia. /sigh
Maybe Deus Ex 2 was still good to me because I first played Deus Ex I think with the PS2 port. I eventually got the PC version years later for 7 bucks in the bargain bin. I'm not even sure if I played the PC verseion of Deus Ex before playing Deus EX 2 (which I played on the regular xbox)

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
thenamelessloser said:
Maybe Deus Ex 2 was still good to me because I first played Deus Ex I think with the PS2 port. I eventually got the PC version years later for 7 bucks in the bargain bin. I'm not even sure if I played the PC verseion of Deus Ex before playing Deus EX 2 (which I played on the regular xbox)
Admittedly, playing Invisible War on the X-Box probably also helped. I bought it for PC, and the menus and HUD were horribly scaled for PC players on launch. They ended up trying to throw out a patch during the launch week to correct it, but it still always felt clunky and awkward.

I'm generally not one to say that console games are responsible for dumbing down PC games... I think in general it's a much more complicated issue than that... but Invisible War is kind of an exception to the rule for me.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
distended said:
Grinderbilly said:
So if you don't pirate (bullshit, but I digress) then why are you wetting yourself over making a point of not pirating?

The innocent don't have to answer for non-existent misdeeds.
The whole post smacks of bullshit. I doubt there's a whole lot of pirates running around throwing money at preorders of games like DX:HR, which while it may be a great game, probably isn't gonna make a "major critic" who is "very hard to please" flip his shit.
Just because someone pirates a game doesn't me he isn't going to buy it.
There are pirates out there that pirate games because they don't want to spend money on a steaming pile of dog shit. i.e. The most recent Aliens vs. Predator

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Tuesday Night Fever said:
I mean... regenerating health? Item highlighting? Third-person snap-cover?
I can't answer to any of your other points (although the tech could be explained as being cheaper to make due to more abundant resources) but on these let me say this:
Regenerating health is slow enough that if you spend more than 2 seconds in fire and go into cover, you're still screwed should an enemy flank you.
Item highlighting is basically equivalent to a somewhat longer-ranged version of the big box corners that popped up when your mouse came anywhere near an interactable item in the original.
Third-person snap cover is no more or less effective than crouching behind the same object, only difference is obviously the third person camera giving you a better view, but the x-ray vision aug can more than make up for it.