Deus Ex: Human Revolution's Social Boss Fights Swap Bullets for Words

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Jumplion said:
Huh, forgotten about that. But whatever, steering this sucker back on target, the new Deus Ex looks pretty nifty, don't you think?
Haha, absolutely. I'm definitely in the "shut up and take my money!" phase of looking forward to it.

keserak

Aug 21, 2009
In Deus Ex, the pistol is NOT a long-range weapon, and if you're lining up a headshot with it when you're not just creeping behind them, you've become an environmentally-safe source of Fail.

If you want to pick people off quietly from long range, you take the tranq minicrossbow, hit someone anywhere -- limb, head, doesn't matter -- then run. They get pissed, they run, they fall down, no one notices.

If you want to murder people quietly from long range, you get the sniper rifle and level rifles. Period.

If you want get close to people, you need to STOP running-and-gunning and take your headshot -- seriously, there's infinite health on the first level -- or sneak up with the cattle prod/baton combo. Stealth, however, is ridiculously easy if one is patient and so sneaking up behind someone and lining up a headshot is simple. In fact, this is the best way not to be seen at all. Enemies have their backs to you all through the first level. I don't know how this can even remotely be a problem unless one is deliberately using the wrong strategy ("let's play DOOM with a weaksauce pistol!"). Wrong strategy is wrong.

But once the plot evolves, you may not be happy about actually killing lots of people on the first level.

(Note: the close-range weapon is a ridiculous high-tech blade, and the mid-range weapon is the assault shotgun, available later in the game. Do not use the assault rifle.)

Btw, I second the notion that Human Revolution looks ugly. Period. I just don't want to look at it; every artistic decision they've made is bad and wrong.

Worse, the prequel plan and hook wasn't terribly interesting to me either. The absolute worst part of Deus Ex 2 was the stupid-ass pseudoreligious templar luddites -- and look, that's a major plot hook in Deus Ex 3.

But it wasn't even an issue in Deus Ex original. Indeed, the stuff that was important in one seems to be above the heads of the second and third design teams. Creating massive plot discontinuities because you can't be bothered to parse the source material is one of the things that tanked Deus Ex 2. Hopefully, the marketing is all lies and I'll be proven completely and wonderfully wrong when the game comes out.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Mr.Squishy said:
Azaraxzealot said:
i tried playing Deus Ex recently... it touts "choice" but in the end your character is a pussy and the game is horrible with direction.

give me a pistol?
Game: HA! it only kills people after 5 shots and its COMPLETELY inaccurate even if the game says you're a master at it!
Me: How about a rifle?
Game: Zooming in is completely ineffectual! Your crosshair may SAY you're aiming at the head, but you're actually aiming slightly below it and he's gonna run off and alert a dozen guys to EXACTLY the location you're at and kill you in 2 shots. Also, we're only gonna give you 5 shots that will land in fuck-all places and never give you more ammo for it.
Me: Okay... can i go melee?
Game: The moment you go within 2 miles of anyone, they can pinpoint exactly where you are and kill you in two shots... pussy.
Me: Fine! I'll just sneak around them!
Game: Didn't I just tell you you can be seen within a two mile radius? In the shadows? and while crouching? And this is just the first level that's supposed to get you used to things?
Me: Fuck you game.

Human Revolution can only be an improvement from there.
This right here is my experience with the game to a tee. I still struggle to see why it's regarded as such a classic.
really? it's probably all nostalgia, elitism, or both talking.

keserak

Aug 21, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Mr.Squishy said:
Azaraxzealot said:
i tried playing Deus Ex recently... it touts "choice" but in the end your character is a pussy and the game is horrible with direction.

give me a pistol?
Game: HA! it only kills people after 5 shots and its COMPLETELY inaccurate even if the game says you're a master at it!
Game: Zooming in is completely ineffectual! Your crosshair may SAY you're aiming at the head, but you're actually aiming slightly below it and he's gonna run off and alert a dozen guys to EXACTLY the location you're at and kill you in 2 shots. Also, we're only gonna give you 5 shots that will land in fuck-all places and never give you more ammo for it.
Game: The moment you go within 2 miles of anyone, they can pinpoint exactly where you are and kill you in two shots... pussy.
Game: Didn't I just tell you you can be seen within a two mile radius? In the shadows? and while crouching? And this is just the first level that's supposed to get you used to things?

This right here is my experience with the game to a tee. I still struggle to see why it's regarded as such a classic.
really? it's probably all nostalgia, elitism, or both talking.
More likely it's the result of incompetence being framed as a fresh viewpoint.

It can't be emphasized enough: Deus Ex is regarded as a classic, but one of its commonly-accepted faults was that it was too easy. Mods for Deus Ex typically increase the difficulty level. I'm sorry, but I've watched 40-year-old housewives who've never played an fps take ten minutes to master stealth in Deus Ex -- that includes the tutorial and around 45 seconds of the first stage. Simply put, literally everything claiming that stealth is difficult or the crosshairs don't work is totally wrong. And it's especially telling that the person making these claims doesn't comment at all on the skill system which explicitly and dramatically affects all of those parameters.

It would be just as disingenuous to claim that CounterStrike was terrible since you can't fire your weapon -- all while refusing to use the left mouse button during play.

If you can't play Deus Ex, you have no business trying Doom, Unreal, Call of Duty, CounterStrike, Thief, Splinter Cell, Painkiller, or damn near any other twitch and/or stealth game, all of which are harder than Deus Ex. Deus Ex is fun because of the story, because of flexibility, and because of player-enforced difficulty (no fatalities, only explosives, only "stylish" kills, etc.). I just can't get past how ridiculous this claim is.

Y'know what? Here ya' go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IaIdMcQm8&feature=player_detailpage#t=445s

This is the first hit of a search. At this time-point, the PC runs up to an enemy from behind and stabs him to death with two quick strikes before the enemy can even counterattack. Note that the PC was able to RUN within around three yards of the back of the enemy without stealth! Indeed, when I (and others) play for "stealth," we RUN up to enemies then drop into crouch and "stealth" the last few yards.

And btw: many enemies will give up fighting after taking substantial damage. They will just run away. This means if you attack someone from behind, especially with a headshot, even if they're not dead they're likely about to panic and rout.

You run faster than NPCs in Deus Ex. Read the above with that in mind.

"Game: Didn't I just tell you you can be seen within a two mile radius? In the shadows? and while crouching?
So on to this doughy pantload. Keep watching the video and you'll note that the knifing was overheard -- as one would expect the screams of the dying might be. Here the "genius" AI comes into play. The PC ducks behind a waist-high (!) obstruction and hides in the shadows while crouching and, once he leaves the NPC line of sight, becomes completely invisible and silent. The player even comments on how bad the AI is! Read that inane quote again when you're watching the clip. And, btw, if the PC had wanted, he could have run/crouched in alternation completely around to the backside of the NPC while the NPC was searching for him and backstabbed him! Instead, he waits the extra 5 seconds for the NPC to give up the search. . . and charges and backstabs.

With a knife.

On the highest difficulty level.

On a map with free healing.

On a game mod that makes the game harder. Did I mention that?

So. Yeah.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:

give me a pistol?

you must really suck at aiming with the pistol, it kills in one headshot and you can get 100% accuracy before you get to hong kong.
besides, the best weapon in the game is the mini-crossbow.