Deus Ex Mankind Divided Launch Trailer plus First Review

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfV01sTqB68[/url]

ONLY 3 DAYS LEFT!!! unfortunately i wont buy on day one but still!!!

I was reading neogaf forum and those who get early copy post impression and say that this game is better than HR in every single way and PC version is very well optimize.

also first review is here

http://gamingbolt.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided-first-review-score-910-from-edge

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
A 9/10 from Edge is a good sign. They have a history of some tough scoring, but they did give HR a 9/10 as well. Adjusting for higher standards these days, chances are MD's score is well-deserved.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
My suspicions of how dumb the writing/story's gotten have sadly been confirmed. PC Gamer review quote:

"The writing is inconsistent throughout, with some fun characters (I enjoyed spending time with the jumpy Lone Gunmenesque editor of an anarchist newspaper), and a lot of forgettable ones?including an antagonist who says ?We?re not so different you and I? completely unironically. The use of real-world history to give context to the segregation and prejudice in this world is heavy-handed?from ?Augmented Lives Matter? slogans on posters to drinking fountains marked ?augs? and ?naturals?. It?s like the writers are constantly poking you in the arm and saying ?Get it??

I do get it, yes. And I get that science fiction, particularly cyberpunk, should hold a mirror up to our own society to reveal something about it. But Mankind Divided doesn?t have anything interesting to say, and its political and social commentary is about as entry-level as it gets. It has no message?other than, perhaps, ?prejudice is bad??and it reveals no hidden truth about, well, anything. And that?s a shame, because I feel like this setting is fertile ground for a great story. I just don?t think Eidos Montreal knows how to tell one yet."

Still have it preordered by merits of it's visual design and gameplay though. The disappointment of Prague being the only hub city is offset by how well its designed and every review I've read's done nothing but sing the praises of Mankind Divided's gameplay. Cant wait till it unlocks on Tuesday.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
ZombieProof said:
My suspicions of how dumb the writing/story's gotten have sadly been confirmed. PC Gamer review quote:

"The writing is inconsistent throughout, with some fun characters (I enjoyed spending time with the jumpy Lone Gunmenesque editor of an anarchist newspaper), and a lot of forgettable ones?including an antagonist who says ?We?re not so different you and I? completely unironically. The use of real-world history to give context to the segregation and prejudice in this world is heavy-handed?from ?Augmented Lives Matter? slogans on posters to drinking fountains marked ?augs? and ?naturals?. It?s like the writers are constantly poking you in the arm and saying ?Get it??

I do get it, yes. And I get that science fiction, particularly cyberpunk, should hold a mirror up to our own society to reveal something about it. But Mankind Divided doesn?t have anything interesting to say, and its political and social commentary is about as entry-level as it gets. It has no message?other than, perhaps, ?prejudice is bad??and it reveals no hidden truth about, well, anything. And that?s a shame, because I feel like this setting is fertile ground for a great story. I just don?t think Eidos Montreal knows how to tell one yet."

Still have it preordered by merits of it's visual design and gameplay though. The disappointment of Prague being the only hub city is offset by how well its designed and every review I've read's done nothing but sing the praises of Mankind Divided's gameplay. Cant wait till it unlocks on Tuesday.
I wonder what happen to original happen to original deus ex story writer sheldon pacotti. original deus ex has best story along with mafia 1. HR story was not good despite how amazing setting was. how great adam jensen is

seriously mary demarle is terrible writer and I Hope She will not be writer of thier next game. Eidos should fire her and hire sheldon pacotti.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Amen B-Cell. Hopefully the next joint will deliver on narrative as well as game play and visual design. Still, this bad boy looks great. Are you going through as a destructive tank or silent ninja on your first playththrough? I usually do a combination of both. I'm non lethal to opposition that seems like it's not necessarily evil but I'm lethal towards mercenaries and other malicious entities.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
ZombieProof said:
Amen B-Cell. Hopefully the next joint will deliver on narrative as well as game play and visual design. Still, this bad boy looks great. Are you going through as a destructive tank or silent ninja on your first playththrough? I usually do a combination of both. I'm non lethal to opposition that seems like it's not necessarily evil but I'm lethal towards mercenaries and other malicious entities.
stealth is what i play first. but not just silent ninja. i like to shoot behind back.

This is last game featuring Adam jensen. Next game will set after the event of original Deus Ex. it may be about JC denton and Mary demarle will screwed up JC denton if Eidos will give her pen and paper.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:
stealth is what i play first. but not just silent ninja. i like to shoot behind back.

This is last game featuring Adam jensen. Next game will set after the event of original Deus Ex. it may be about JC denton and Mary demarle will screwed up JC denton if Eidos will give her pen and paper.
Play combat first. It means you miss out on most of the content so you can find it your next play through.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:

I'd hope the next one would be about Paul. While not as advanced as JC technologically, his more unpredictable and emotional behavior as well as his eventual betrayal of Unatco to join the NSF could be a really cool story to play through if handled by the right writer.

Luna Saltatio

Aug 9, 2016
It looks overwhelmingly positive, especially from a gameplay perspective. Thank god.

nomotog said:
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:

Play combat first. It means you miss out on most of the content so you can find it your next play through.
I do it the other way. True, you have to be a perfectionist, but I am, and more importantly I find that if I stealth my second run it's too easy. Stealth is just too powerful a tool against even the best scripted AI, and the biggest challenge is recon, which I'd have already done in my first run. The other factor is that I find stealth builds up a nice degree of aggression by the end, which makes a bloody run much more satisfying. Often, the content either way is less than 15 minutes different anyway.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
ZombieProof said:

Urgg I hate when they try to compare things that are fundamentally different based on simple stuff. Discrimination is bad, but there's a huge difference between two human that have practically no difference save for skin color and a normal human and one who maybe has chain gun instead of his hand, can jump 5 story high and can easily crush anyone rip cage. Comparing the two situation is insulting to one and lazy to the other. HR was a lot more interesting with the aspect that maybe augment aren't so good since people can therefore be hacked, which is something that fully take advantages of the setting.

I mean in some way its literally the opposite situation. Black are different on the outside (you can tell a black from a white person) but pretty much the same on the inside (neither is markedly stronger/smarter and such) so it makes no sense to consider one superior or scarier than the other. Augment can look identical to normal people (especially when it come to neuro augment) but on the inside there different (they can definitely be stronger or smarter) so you can make a pretty strong case about superiority and dangers.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Meiam said:
ZombieProof said:

Urgg I hate when they try to compare things that are fundamentally different based on simple stuff. Discrimination is bad, but there's a huge difference between two human that have practically no difference save for skin color and a normal human and one who maybe has chain gun instead of his hand, can jump 5 story high and can easily crush anyone rip cage. Comparing the two situation is insulting to one and lazy to the other. HR was a lot more interesting with the aspect that maybe augment aren't so good since people can therefore be hacked, which is something that fully take advantages of the setting.

I mean in some way its literally the opposite situation. Black are different on the outside (you can tell a black from a white person) but pretty much the same on the inside (neither is markedly stronger/smarter and such) so it makes no sense to consider one superior or scarier than the other. Augment can look identical to normal people (especially when it come to neuro augment) but on the inside there different (they can definitely be stronger or smarter) so you can make a pretty strong case about superiority and dangers.
I don't think their issues were with the drama per-se so much as the lack of underlying philosophy and/or poetry underneath it. The first Deus Ex had these great essay's on humanity, government, eugenics, etc that played right on through to the three different paths you could take to the end. All three were heavy in philosophy, nuance, and themes of existentialism but had the dynamic cover of terrorism and secret society.

The problem is that Mankind Divided just kinda stops on terrorism. There's nothing underneath. It's that lack of nuance that I'm critiquing. As a standalone game it probably offers better writing and story than most out there but my lamentantations are for their failure to measure up to a narrative that's over 15 years old.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
So the game story is dissapointing but it sounds like it isn't as bad as MGS V and I personally thought Human Revolution story wasn't all that so yeah I'm buying this game

Amigastar

Any Color you like
Jul 19, 2007
I think i'm gonna play some Deus Ex HR Directos Cut. Just need to install it in Steam.
To be honest I've never really played Human Revolution for more than 5 hours.
Loved the Original Deus Ex though.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Meiam said:
[
Urgg I hate when they try to compare things that are fundamentally different based on simple stuff. Discrimination is bad, but there's a huge difference between two human that have practically no difference save for skin color and a normal human and one who maybe has chain gun instead of his hand, can jump 5 story high and can easily crush anyone rip cage. Comparing the two situation is insulting to one and lazy to the other.
Is it though? I mean, the Deus Ex games so far has had us play as these uber-kitted special agents, but Human Revolution talked a lot about people that didn't get cluster charge launchers, ballistic plate grafts, swords for arms, chain guns for hands or what have you. In fact, Human Revolution had a lot of side content that discussed the "normal" people that got augmented, from people who replaced an arm so they could remain competitive in the construction business, to people who used augs as a fashion statement and rich people who simply auged because it improved their daily life and they could afford to replace their failing eyes with cybernetic ones.

Is it "sensible safety precaution" to not allow someone into a club just because their fingers on one hand also accept an assortment of working tools like drills and saws or someone who's had their eyes replaced not to go blind? Sure, everyone agrees that Adam Jensen probably constitutes a massive safety hazard, but so would a Special Forces trained non-augmented person who wanted to hurt people. I am not saying the analogy is perfect, far from it, but it is disingenuous to say that there aren't similarities or that the situations are nothing alike.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Gethsemani said:
Is it though? I mean, the Deus Ex games so far has had us play as these uber-kitted special agents, but Human Revolution talked a lot about people that didn't get cluster charge launchers, ballistic plate grafts, swords for arms, chain guns for hands or what have you. In fact, Human Revolution had a lot of side content that discussed the "normal" people that got augmented, from people who replaced an arm so they could remain competitive in the construction business, to people who used augs as a fashion statement and rich people who simply auged because it improved their daily life and they could afford to replace their failing eyes with cybernetic ones.

Is it "sensible safety precaution" to not allow someone into a club just because their fingers on one hand also accept an assortment of working tools like drills and saws or someone who's had their eyes replaced not to go blind? Sure, everyone agrees that Adam Jensen probably constitutes a massive safety hazard, but so would a Special Forces trained non-augmented person who wanted to hurt people. I am not saying the analogy is perfect, far from it, but it is disingenuous to say that there aren't similarities or that the situations are nothing alike.
It is because they don't know what the person has for augment, there's no problem if it's someone who just has a simple eye implant (but even then, what does the eye do, can it see trough wall? Will the person be taking picture without being notice?) but if it's someone with even something as simple as stronger arm, what happen if he get drunk and into a brawl?

I'm not saying it's justified, I'm saying there's a sound logic and there would probably be constant news about augmented people getting into accident/fight that got way worse because they had augment. And then there's also all the people that would be displace at work because they can't afford or can't use augment. This situation has no parallel with racism, even if someone get replaced by a lower wage person they could also accept a lower paying job, that's always an option for them, but if someone simply can't use augment there doomed to be outclass.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
A B-Cell post without an hyperbolic title? What is this witchery!? What hell is happening to the Escapist!?!?

OT: As always, I'll wait until the game breaking problems are fixed. I also have to finish the other Deux Ex games, so it's a win-win.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
ZombieProof said:

PC Gamer lol. I wonder if he even played the game. I checked the article out and there is nothing in that review that indicates he ever played it. It's basically a generic say nothing review with the authors biases put into it that excludes all pc related systems and functions.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Madkipz said:
ZombieProof said:

PC Gamer lol. I wonder if he even played the game. I checked the article out and there is nothing in that review that indicates he ever played it. It's basically a generic say nothing review with the authors biases put into it that excludes all pc related systems and functions.
Your take on the review is so strange and far removed from what I got out of it that I wonder if we read the same thing.

This is the one I read. If it's the same one you're talking about, would you kindly point out the quotes that bolster your points because I couldn't disagree with you more.
http://www.pcgamer.com/deus-ex-mank...source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Jan 19, 2016
slo said:
A "review" on Wired is up. http://www.wired.com/2016/08/deus-ex-mankind-divided-review/
It's really dumb and mostly consists of the author complaining that the game is not a one-sided political pamphlet of his preferred agenda and whining that all this stupid un-political gameplay gets in the way of his fun him comparing it to The List of Right Ideas.
Which is probably a good sign.
That is some impressive self righteous, navel gazing, progressive wank posing as a review.