Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Leaked, Coming to Xbox One, PC, and PS4

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Hm... Interesting. You know what else is interesting? The game might visit Prague! Or some other Czech city, maybe Pilzen or Brno. How do I know? In the second picture there's is a shop on the left and the signboard says "koření" - that's Czech for "spice". Yay for cyberpun Czech Republic!

Edit: The other shop says "čerstvé maso" - meaning "fresh meat".
Now I just want to look through all the pictures to look for more hints, damn it!
Edit 2: Fourth picture has Czech spelling of police ("policie") on the hover-drone and that armored dude's shoulder. Unfortunately we don't put cities on our policemen (ala NYPD) so no closer information as to what city it might be.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
The voice actor was fine. The problem is that many developers nowadays apparently want to push the Batman Menacing Whisper routine. The voice actor actually has better personality on the recent two Splinter Cell games.

It will probably pay lip service to the previous game. The first two Deus Ex games did something similar. The first game had three endings, with one being discarded and the other two merged to provide a background story for the sequel. Truthfully, there really isn't a reason to repeat that here, but it seems to be a tradition in the series at this point. Frankly, I'd prefer if the actions made in the previous game would carry over to the future games, but apparently that's asking too much (even though some studios manage to pull it off with varying degrees of success).

At this point, I'm not hoping for anything groundbreaking (or even just general improvements) here. It'll be just another Deus Ex game. I'll buy it, play it, enjoy it, and probably forget it within a year's time.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I, like many others, am curious as to what they mean by none of the endings being canon. Does that mean none of them happened? Because that's stupid. Or are we going the Dark Souls II way here, in that in the end, the choice didn't matter because it all lead to the same place. I can see that working, with a bit of a stretch. For instance, if you convinced humanity to abandon the augments, eventually they're picked back up and things still come to pass.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Now this is some news I'm genuinely happy to hear. I kind felt the endings in HR were a bit shit, so if we have to dump them to get a solid foundation for a new game I'm not gonna complain.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
"None of the four endings are canonical". Hmmm... I'm intrigued and worried at the same time.

I mean, FUCKING AWESOME!, more (GOOD) Deus Ex is always awesome, but yeah, I'm intrigued by what "really" happened and a little worried about how long can Eidos Montreal hold this up until ramming their heads into the original Deus Ex timeline?

So yeah, I'm super excited about this, hope they come up with a Thief sequel too, the 2014 game was deeply flawed, but underneath it all, lied a game waiting to be polished up and improved upon, I hope they take what worked in that game to make a better one.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I don't trust Eidos Montreal anymore. After the Director's Cut, The Fall and Thief, I think that they're going to pull an Invisible War on us.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Scrythe said:
loa said:
None of human revolutions endings are canon?
Then why even make a sequel?
Outside of pulling the "it was all a dream" card, I don't see why they would make a "direct sequel" in a parallel universe that disregards the plot of the predecessor. Might as well start anew.
To be fair, all four of those endings were just a slightly-different ambiguous speech, so they could get away with pulling an Invisible War by saying all of the endings are canon, except for what exactly happened at Panchaea.
Except the (originally hinted actual canon) "Kill everyone!"-ending which you get by turning left, following a hallway for 6 meters or so and press THAT button. And if you get throught the credits (and only with that ending chosen), you get a bonus-scene which ties into the original game.
And I don't see "the entire building gets blown to smithereens and nobody survives, including you" is anywhere compatible with ANYTHING...

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Bindal said:
Scrythe said:
loa said:
Outside of pulling the "it was all a dream" card, I don't see why they would make a "direct sequel" in a parallel universe that disregards the plot of the predecessor. Might as well start anew.
To be fair, all four of those endings were just a slightly-different ambiguous speech, so they could get away with pulling an Invisible War by saying all of the endings are canon, except for what exactly happened at Panchaea.
Except the (originally hinted actual canon) "Kill everyone!"-ending which you get by turning left, following a hallway for 6 meters or so and press THAT button. And if you get throught the credits (and only with that ending chosen), you get a bonus-scene which ties into the original game.
And I don't see "the entire building gets blown to smithereens and nobody survives, including you" is anywhere compatible with ANYTHING...
I've been following the ARG and the last video we decrypted is a distinctly Adam-like figure floating in water. I'm thinking Panchea blew up but Adam didn't die or something.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sweet, I suppose I'm way too much into cyberpunk and transhumanism to be miffed about the previous game's flaws, but I gotta say that I hope that we'll see:

- Bigger explorable environments, more freedom in a way.
- Less shitty boss battles, but thanks to the huge rage against that I reckon they'll fix that.
- More player agency in the ending.

Of course, saying that "Guys, the ending of HR didn't really matter, but we promise that choice DOES matter this time!" does raise my eyebrow a little. Though of course, none of the endings were particularly...inspired, so I don't mind them sticking to either of them.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
As long as they fix the cover mechanics and gunplay controls, I'm sold.
What was wrong with them? I felt they were smooth and mechanically well oiled.

OT: It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! So very excited for this game and Rise of the Tomb Raider this year.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
immortalfrieza said:
I wonder, by all the endings of Human Revolution being noncanonical, do they mean that they'll just be nonspecific about them, ignore them entirely, or will the player just not really run into anything that the actions taken in the endings will be relevant?
Yes

Money dear boy

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Nixou said:
immortalfrieza said:
I wonder, by all the endings of Human Revolution being noncanonical, do they mean that they'll just be nonspecific about them, ignore them entirely, or will the player just not really run into anything that the actions taken in the endings will be relevant?
Yes
Freaking smartass...

Team Four Star for the win!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Gordon_4 said:
Bob_McMillan said:
As long as they fix the cover mechanics and gunplay controls, I'm sold.
What was wrong with them? I felt they were smooth and mechanically well oiled.

OT: It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! So very excited for this game and Rise of the Tomb Raider this year.
Eh, for console it had all the gunplay controls I hated. I felt as well that it was more efficient to just sit behind the wall rather than gluing yourself to it. Oh, another thing to add. Screw the cutscene takedowns. I hate those.

Mar 30, 2010
Good news, I enjoyed DE:HR (apart from the boss fights).

Steven Bogos said:
From the looks of the pictures, the game itself will play quite similarly to Human Revolution, involving a good mix of first-person run-and-gunning, along with some more sneaky stealth segments.
I hope not. The thing with the DE games (HR included) is that a whole game can be played stealthily, or by running-and-gunning, or by bluffing etc. If Square Enix try to combine the many play styles into one completionist run that offers a bit of each it would a) dilute the experience for all involved and b) completely eliminate replay value.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Bit of a bummer considering that "choice" is meant to be a big factor in the Deus Ex universe
Player choice has never mattered in the Deus Ex universe. Nothing that happened in one game has ever had any relevance to any other game. Even within a given game choice was limited to deciding which route to take through a mission and how many people to kill in doing so, there was never any player influence over the actual story other than the very end when you got to pick an ending. So there really shouldn't be any expectation that we'd suddenly be able to import previous characters into a new game now. As long as it's as good as the last one was, it'll still be worth it. And if they don't outsource boss fights to a different company with instructions to make them as shit as possible, it will hopefully be even better.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Bindal said:
Scrythe said:
loa said:
The "entire building being blown up" fits because Bob Page wasn't on the thing when it happened. Page has been monitoring things from the beginning of the game. As long as he's the one untouchable character in the prequels, then the original Deus Ex game is still canon.

1. "Destroy Panchaea" - humanity will continue down it's existing course (Aug vs. Natch, with Augmentation being developed by others, either openly or secretly).
2. "Side with Sarif" - Humanity Front gets blamed, and Augmentation will continue being developed.
3. "Side with Taggart" - anti-Augmentation supporters get a boost, Augmentations get regulated, and the Illuminati gets a firmer hold on the situation.
4. "Side with Darrow" - the entire thing becomes exposed, but Augmentation continues to be researched in secret.

Every single one of these endings involves Bob Page knowing everything that goes on regarding the Augmentation projects of other people. As long as he exists, none of the endings are really going to matter. The real question is: How did Jensen survive the destruction of Panchaea? That is, of course, assuming that they're going to run with any of the endings as a starting point for the next game. It's entirely possible that they'll do a training mission at the beginning that serves to retcon the endings. Another possibility is that the DNA that was taken from Jensen to research how to help people tolerate the Augmentations would be used to clone Jensen (I'm remembering the clone vats from the original Deus Ex from many years ago).

Cowabungaa said:
Of course, saying that "Guys, the ending of HR didn't really matter, but we promise that choice DOES matter this time!" Though of course, none of the endings were particularly...inspired, so I don't mind them sticking to either of them.
Yeah, the only way that makes sense is to excuse them with the "They didn't know Human Revolution would be a success*, so they didn't put much effort into making a cliffhanger-esque ending to invite a sequel" argument.

*Invisible War was considered a step down from the original Deus Ex which could have potentially caused problems for future sequels.

Kahani said:
Player choice has never mattered in the Deus Ex universe. Nothing that happened in one game has ever had any relevance to any other game. Even within a given game choice was limited to deciding which route to take through a mission and how many people to kill in doing so, there was never any player influence over the actual story other than the very end when you got to pick an ending. So there really shouldn't be any expectation that we'd suddenly be able to import previous characters into a new game now. As long as it's as good as the last one was, it'll still be worth it. And if they don't outsource boss fights to a different company with instructions to make them as shit as possible, it will hopefully be even better.
At least picking the ending in the original was more involved. You actually had to do things other than "Pick a Button". But, yeah, you're right. The endings of the original were generic enough that they discarded one ending, and effectively merged the other two endings to create the beginning circumstances of the second game.