Deus Ex Will Be a "Cyberpunk Movie"

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
But they also acknowledged that the cyberpunk genre is a difficult beast in its own right, not only because of infamous failures like Johnny Mnemonic but also because of films like Blade Runner and The Matrix, which Derrickson described as "iconic and insurmountable" even though they aren't really cyberpunk films. They're looking at more "grounded" films like District 9, Looper and Inception as "molds" for Deus Ex, because of their more realistic approach to the genre.
I know I'm posting again, but I don't give a fuck.

You are doing it wrong. Christ, these guys couldn't have missed the point harder if they were aiming in the other goddamn direction. MAKE A DEUS EX FILM, NOT LOOPER, DISTRICT 9, OR INCEPTION!!!

Those fucktards should be sent back to a high school video production class.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
That's exactly what every other major video game movie did and that's exactly why they all suck. They didn't stick to the source material. They all tried to make something original, ignoring what fans expect. Look at Resident Evil, Hitman and Max Payne for example. They are all just shitty movies with the name of the game slapped on them. And these guys want to do the same? We shouldn't be excited for this news at all, because it's exactly what's wrong with movies that are based on video games.

So no. Your aim shouldn't be to make a good cyberpunk movie. Your aim should be to make a good Deus Ex movie. Making a good cyberpunk movie doesn't mean it's a good Deus Ex movie. However, making a good Deus Ex movie by definition means that it's also a good cyberpunk movie.
Calm down, from what I see what they mean is that they wont do "Deus Ex: The game you just played told in a movie format" and instead are doing a movie that follows the theme and world of Deus Ex.

Deus Ex is great for that since every game has a different character meaning that they can create another one and tell his story in that world. I certainly prefer that to having a movie about what we all already saw with JC Denton and Adam Jensen (and the 2nd guy... although I bet a lot fewer players saw his story to the end).

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Games that follow the plot of a movie sucks.
Movies that follow the plot of a game, also sucks.

...but games that're based only in the universe of a movie doesn't always suck.
perhaps it's the same for the other way around here as well?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
So... did NO ONE see The Avengers this summer? To make a good Deus-Ex movie... STICK TO THE CORE OF WHAT MAKES IT DEUS EX! This is what was wrong with Tomb Raider; this is what was wrong with Resident Evil; this is what was wrong with Mario Bros; this is what was wrong with... hell, EVERY video game movie. Stick. To. The. Basics.

Seriously, I remember when Resident Evil came out and I said "This is nothing like Resident Evil's story!" "Well yeah, because we already know how it happens, so they wanna tell a new story." NO!! By all means, I can understand having to shuffle things around (The Avengers stuck very little to the original canon), but stick to the core of what makes it popular. If you're going to change things, give it a different title. A Deus-Ex movie should BE a Deus-Ex movie, not just some brand name slapped onto a movie that happens have a similar setting.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The writer is instigating a serious fallacy. The issue with video game movies, mostly, is their utter failure to stick to the games storyline. By writing a Deus Ex movie and not acknowledging it's video game roots and established canon, they are making the exact same mistake every other video game movie has made. Movie writers play fast and loose with the defining elements of a video game franchise with the excuse that they are writing to appeal to a wider audience. All they are really saying is, "we can do it better", then they simply don't. They write a movie that is both insulting to the games fans AND doesn't appeal to a wider audience. If they want to write a decent movie for a Deus Ex game, they need to either follow the exact story of a Deus Ex game OR they need to create a character within that universe and acknowledge the happenings of the game canon by not force including characters that shouldn't logically be available for usage in the storyline.

Really, I come from the side of, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Movie writers try to fix it, and they always fail. I won't hold my breath about this movie.

Edit: If you want to write a cyber punk movie, you should probably pick a larger known Cyberpunk work rather than messing up the game.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
1337mokro said:
Then why are you calling it Deus Ex.

If you just wanted to make a cyberpunk movie inspired by Deus Ex, do that.
They don't just want to make a cyber punk movie. They are keenly aware of how easy it is to fuck up a video game to movie adaptation, so they're focusing on the things that make the game good, rather than making something that tries to resemble things from the game. As the game is very cyberpunk, that's the natural thing to think about.

Turning a Book into a movie makes sense, bringing a world that previously only existed in someone's imagination to life is something that takes skill and creativity. A videogame is already a visual medium. The world is already fleshed out in ways a movie can never even come close to.
Whilst both mediums are visual and have their own advantages, the sad fact is that a movies still trump games in terms of story telling, often with only a fraction of the resources, time and effort.

Videogames are often fairly empty and skimpy worlds, in which the illusion of realism or depth can easily broken by what some call the "ludo-narrative dissonance" but what I call the "player goofing around". Games are always being held back by technical limitations which limit how you can tell the story, and whilst we've come to accept that this is how it is with games, we're currently missing out on the stories they can't provide. In Deus Ex:HR, the riots are supposed to be a big plot point...but you don't even see the rioting because the engine can't hack it. Jensen is supposed to be shocked and moved by events in the story, but the limitations of the facial animations fail to bring across the subtle emotional cues. He can only flap his mouth, furrow his brow and gesticulate, whilst the voice actor has to pick up the slack.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
That's exactly what every other major video game movie did and that's exactly why they all suck. They didn't stick to the source material. They all tried to make something original, ignoring what fans expect. Look at Resident Evil, Hitman and Max Payne for example. They are all just shitty movies with the name of the game slapped on them. And these guys want to do the same? We shouldn't be excited for this news at all, because it's exactly what's wrong with movies that are based on video games.
Last I checked, those movies were all bad because they were poorly-constructed movies, not because they were bad at representing their source material. Also, Max Payne had a movie?

*checks IMDB*

Huh, Max Payne had a movie. I entirely forgot about that.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
We'll see what they cook up, but of course failure is the overwhelming precedent.

And I am extremely impressed that a certain 5-word phrase has yet to be uttered.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Did everybody just blaze on past the point of the quotes?

The point they're making is that they don't want to be restricted into telling the game's plot in a movie form. They're approaching the film from a angle that allows them to make a plot that can fit within a film that takes elements from Dues Ex to construct a film that is essentially Deus Ex. Nowhere have they said that they are going to abandon the roots of the game; they're merely trying to make a film that cribs from Deus Ex without just filming the plot of the game and hoping for the best.

bLAZay00

Dec 10, 2011
Deus Ex is Cyberpunk. In other news Liberace is really, really, really gay. Bald men have shiny heads. Dogs hump anything with a leg.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
deathbydeath said:
Dear Scott Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill, please play Deus Ex 1 and 2. Study them, learn their themes, memorize their quotes and examine their characters. Then and only then will you know what Deus Ex is about, and Deus Ex is not about cyberpunk.
Someone is giving good advice... but holy cow either you don't understand cyberpunk, Deus Ex, or both.

Anywho, as long as Carlyle is writing this thing I'm pretty sure the script will be good. If the movie will actually use that script the way it was written on the other hand is something we will only know once it's done.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Rawbeard said:
deathbydeath said:
Dear Scott Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill, please play Deus Ex 1 and 2. Study them, learn their themes, memorize their quotes and examine their characters. Then and only then will you know what Deus Ex is about, and Deus Ex is not about cyberpunk.
Someone is giving good advice... but holy cow either you don't understand cyberpunk, Deus Ex, or both.

Anywho, as long as Carlyle is writing this thing I'm pretty sure the script will be good. If the movie will actually use that script the way it was written on the other hand is something we will only know once it's done.
Paragraph 1: What What in the butt No, no, this site is worksafe...

Paragraph 2: I'm not ranting on the quality of the script, just that they're missing what Deus Ex is about. I know they're doing something off of Human Revolution, but that worries me even further because not even that knew what Deus Ex was about, at least not thematically.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Sounds like this could be a lot of fun if pulled off correctly. Try and make something that captures the aesthetic and tone right and it shouldn't be -too- bad... ;D

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
For those who don't believe that a good video game movie can be made I direct you to exhibit A (also our only exhibit):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1891974/

'Ace Attorney' (a Phoenix Wright movie) directed by crazy Japanese man Takashi Miike (better known for 'Audition' and 'Ichi the Killer'). Worth checking out.