Deux Ex Turns 10, Goes For $2.50

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Aylaine said:
I actually was gifted this game from a good friend (Thanks J!) but I think my processor is too fast to run it. You see, everything is at around 400% speed. I walk, ok, I walk for more then 2 seconds, I move across the room in half a second, and cut scenes in in 2 seconds because the frame rate seems to be jacked up more then is possible. Is there a reason for this? ;O
It was designed to run off computers that were at their peak 10 years ago, single core 1Ghz, maybe a gig of RAM and usually a 128mb single core video card. The dialogue was always a bit odd in the game. Short sentences would stay up for 10 seconds, but the long ones disappeared before they finished sometimes.

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
FinalHeart95 said:
Am I missing a joke or reference here, or is Deus Ex spelled wrong in the title?

Otherwise, sweet. I'll have to try it I suppose, seeing as it's a landmark in gaming history and all.
Its a reference, or a coincidence... though it's Deus Ex... nothing is coincidence :)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
theshadowcult said:
FinalHeart95 said:
Am I missing a joke or reference here, or is Deus Ex spelled wrong in the title?

Otherwise, sweet. I'll have to try it I suppose, seeing as it's a landmark in gaming history and all.
Its a reference, or a coincidence... though it's Deus Ex... nothing is coincidence :)
Deux. 2. French.

France is the base of operations for Silhouette, an arm of Illuminati, who wishes to control the world through indirect manipulation and subterfuge.

Possibility One: Deus Ex 2 - Invisible War. Widely considered inferior to the original. Purposefully made unmemorable in an effort by the Illuminati to discredit Deus Ex and Ion Storm?

Possibility Two: The Deus Ex sale is being marketed by the Illuminati to achieve maximum software saturation. Possibly piggybacked spyware? Steam is considered intrusive by some higher end users. Possible Valve/Illuminati link? Also feasible Illuminati wishes to make money off the sale of this game, or disseminate propoganda that casts them in a positive light. Illuminati notably not the ultimate enemy in Deus Ex.

Two possibilities. Deux possibilities. Is third possibility, that both possibilities are true?

Three possibilities. Trois. Deus Ex 3 - Human Revolution, set to release later this year.

Marketing scheme? Illuminati/Escapist link? Unknown.

The checks and balances of democratic governments were invented because humans themselves realized how unfit they were to govern themselves. HELIOS IS WATCHING.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I know that. It's just that it's a bad design choice to make the first level incredibly hard. I eventually made it but it was tedious and I had to reload about a million times because as soon as the enemies actually knew where I was, I was dead.
And here's another problem: I can't find my way out of that weird base of operations of the guys I'm working for...
But you don't need to tell me how to get out of there, I've already given up on that game. I just don't think it's particularly good.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
HK_01 said:
I know that. It's just that it's a bad design choice to make the first level incredibly hard. I eventually made it but it was tedious and I had to reload about a million times because as soon as the enemies actually knew where I was, I was dead.
And here's another problem: I can't find my way out of that weird base of operations of the guys I'm working for...
But you don't need to tell me how to get out of there, I've already given up on that game. I just don't think it's particularly good.
Thats okay. In the post-human civilization as governed by Helios, you have the right to be incorrect, as Helio's will correctly analyze our opinions and motivations with the most logical course of action.

HELIOS IS WATCHING. EAT MORE TILAPIA

Christopher Dudgeon

Mar 24, 2010
This Game has to have been the most frustrating game I ever had the pleasure to buy.

When I bought it i installed and played it and died about 40 times as i just couldn't figure out how to get in the statue. After all that i uninstalled it and left it for about 3 months till finally going back and trying to do it again......and I kept this up for 12 months installing and uninstalling it, it was like a battle of wills between me and this evil bloody game until one day I sat down and said to myself that I was not getting up from my chair till I get past the first level......8 hours later in desperate need of the loo, food and water everything slotted into place and I got past it and I never looked back.

What an AWESOME game this is I play it twice a year and everytime it is different the Story is one of the best I have ever had the pleasure to witness unfold and I still get shivers down my spine at particular points.

If you have never played it what are you waiting for GO AND GET IT!!! If you don't like steam go and get it from Stardock/Impulse and play play play till your eyes bleed.

If you like HL and HL2 then this is BETTER.

Trust the Doo-Doogan on this one!

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Bought this and Invisible War. Yes, I've heard that Invisible War isn't so good, but it was also $2.50. I mean, come on. What was I supposed to do. And now Counter Strike Source is on sale for $6.80. I love Steam.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
But remember children,
Make sure you die defending your brother! That way, you both live!
Yeaaah!

ModusPwnens

Jun 6, 2010
10 years later, and still no single player experience offered since has topped Deus Ex, or even come close, IMO. I started what must be my 14th or 15th playthrough this week after not having touched the game in a couple years, and I can safely say that I still think this Deus Ex is way better than the likes of Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3.

I hope Deus Ex 3 lives up to the original, 10 years is too long to wait for a worthy successor.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Aylaine said:
Deofuta said:
If you guys have not tried it, buy it. It is an excellent game, and shows how an action rpg can really be.

Dont let the graphics turn you off!
I actually was gifted this game from a good friend (Thanks J!) but I think my processor is too fast to run it. You see, everything is at around 400% speed. I walk, ok, I walk for more then 2 seconds, I move across the room in half a second, and cut scenes in in 2 seconds because the frame rate seems to be jacked up more then is possible. Is there a reason for this? ;
I think there are two ways to get around this.

Are you on a laptop? If so sometimes switching your play mode to the 'home' mode can fix it.

Otherwise, you need to create a bind (using the config.ini) to ope up the cheat menu and use the slomo cheat. Google it to find the specifics, but hopefully this will put you on the right pat. :)

You can also try V-sync, but i'm not sure where that option is located.

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
Singing Gremlin said:
But remember children,
Make sure you die defending your brother! That way, you both live!
Yeaaah!
You don't have to die, if you can kill (i mean ability wise as i KNOW you can kill) the agents and get out of the hotel through the front door, you will also both survive. Apart from the agents or you killing your brother, the only other way he dies is if you exit through the window, as it is coded that he dies if you do.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
theshadowcult said:
You don't have to die, if you can kill (i mean ability wise as i KNOW you can kill) the agents and get out of the hotel through the front door, you will also both survive. Apart from the agents or you killing your brother, the only other way he dies is if you exit through the window, as it is coded that he dies if you do.
Oh good lord, really? I once fought them all off then reloaded the game because I thought you had to die fighting. Good grief.

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
Aylaine, another way, is some older games will run normally when run in a window, if you don't mind that. I would think v-sync would stop it though... i mean that's half the point of v-sync, to sync your frame rate to a specific number.