Developer Blames "American Culture" for Greenlight Ban

Will Hektor

Nov 13, 2011
As far as I can see America has been steadily reverting to the attitudes of the 80's. Inane foreign policy, appalling economic ideals and repressive social attitudes. If Romney manages to win out, then this will only get worse

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I would love if steam got a ton of VN's translated to it (eroge or not).

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
RoBi3.0 said:
LOL, culture is not a myth. Google Anthropology and you will find tons of information on the science devoted to the study of culture.
And yet, anthropologists themselves disagree on the basis of culture. I'm not sure why you think that something being a subject of study makes it legitimate.

RoBi3.0 said:
And to answer Rainboq cultures basic definition is: socially transmitted information that shapes human behavior. It is a complexed concept of a group of people's shared values and beliefs
But my point is that groups of people don't share beliefs. You might think you share a belief with somebody, but dig deeper, and you'll almost certainly find that you disagree with them on some level. This is why we have disruption in society, because ultimately there are people who will refuse to go along with what your "culture" claims. Otherwise, how could we get rid of slavery, fascism, and other cultural impositions?

laurenhiya21

Mar 30, 2011
Honestly, what did they expect would happen? :/
Even if it stayed on, I doubt it would ever make it though.
The point of this game just sounds terrible.
Bang every lady in sight! Sounds suuuuper fun :/
And I know you can make a little to no gameplay "game" at least entertaining (there are some good visual novels out there...), so if they just wanted to make an erotic game of some sort, I don't know why they had to make it some sort of generic, Hollywood type thing :l Bleh

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Why would you care if this was allowed on steam just don't buy it. No seriously explain to me now why you would care if this was allowed on steam.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I'm sure the game would fit in wonderfully on the indie section of XBLA.
Hey, fun drinking game; go to the Indie section of XBLA, and every game that's either A: A so called "Retro throwback" platformer, B: about zombies, or C: a lame sex game, take a drink.

You may need to make a couple trips to the liquor store, because you'll be out of drinks on page 5.

OT: I think this is less the fault of American culture and more the fault of the developers for thinking that a sex game on Steam would garner even a small profit.
I think that the guys at Steam were doing them a favor; get the game off before it gets greenlit to spare them the embarassment of selling nothing.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
Rainboq said:
Someone has evidently never taken an anthropology course. Culture is a set of shared symbols across a group of people. Hence the idea of sphere's of culture, every set of symbols has a group who observes it, which fall within its radius.
Clearly, someone has never studied English. "Sphere's" of culture? Also, how do any of the things I mention not involve shared symbols? Since you advocated the idea, please tell me what the shared symbols of US culture are.

Rainboq said:
And every person subscribes to more than one culture because every thing has its own set of symbols. So some examples of american culture would be their politics, their constitution, their news media. While these examples aren't limited to the USA, they certainly are a part of it.
But you can't offer any specific details on those shared symbols for some reason. "Politics" is not a symbol. "Constitution" is not a symbol. "News Media" is not a symbol. You need to be more specific on what forms those take. What is the "symbol" of US politics, for example?
A typo does not mean I don't know my native tongue. And before I can answer that question, let me break down what a symbol is. A symbol is comprised of, the signified and the signifier. The signified is the thing in question and the signifier is the particular thing used to signify. For example, the signifier of American politics signifies is a wrapper that encompasses things like the Democrats and Republicans, the senate, the house of republicans and the president, etc. So yes they are symbols.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Now, let's at least attempt to be quite honest and frank.

These games are a well-known staple in, say, Japcrap gaming culture. I got a bunch of them, and I love them for their freak value first, and then there's that actual disturbing content and hilarious art to really make them stand out as wank material for freaks or oddities for the collector.

Thing is, there's not much actual 'game' in these things. To blame 'American Culture' for getting the boot is cheap and doesn't really impress me much. Go take that 'game' of yours somewhere else, please move along, thank you.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
RoBi3.0 said:
LOL, culture is not a myth. Google Anthropology and you will find tons of information on the science devoted to the study of culture.
And yet, anthropologists themselves disagree on the basis of culture. I'm not sure why you think that something being a subject of study makes it legitimate.

RoBi3.0 said:
And to answer Rainboq cultures basic definition is: socially transmitted information that shapes human behavior. It is a complexed concept of a group of people's shared values and beliefs
But my point is that groups of people don't share beliefs. You might think you share a belief with somebody, but dig deeper, and you'll almost certainly find that you disagree with them on some level. This is why we have disruption in society, because ultimately there are people who will refuse to go along with what your "culture" claims. Otherwise, how could we get rid of slavery, fascism, and other cultural impositions?
Culture is not set in stone it is ever evolving just like humans themselves, that is why it is complex. That is why we can get rid of slavery and why languages evolve. Yes in a population as large as The United States you will find varied opinions on what is consider normal or acceptable, but that is where sub-culture come into play. And by no means is culture an exact guideline for how people are going to act, individuals still have freewill after all.

Proof that culture exists is easy enough to find. Travel to a foreign country note how they don't act exactly like the people of your country. They may not speak the same language or have they same manner in which they greet strangers or have a host of various other differing customs then you, that my friend is because they are of a different culture.

Some Anthropologist disagree on the finer points of culture, not on the fact that it exists. That is as humorous as saying that since all physicist can't agree on how every aspect of the universe works Physics therefor must be a myth.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Well didn't really surprise me that the majority seems to think censorship is neat. Not saying that i would vote or buy the game but that is not the point. Greenlight is a huge mess but at least the intent was to give the consumer the power to choose. But it seems that a lot of people only want ideas and opinions confirming to their ideals. That is a sad situation.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
From one side, gameplay is just one of those cheap flash games on newgrounds, on the other, it does seem to have a better production quality/design.

If people wanted it, there would be no real reason to exclude it, and add a age barrier (just like with M for Mature games.)

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa...

So let me get this straight from some of the comments I'm reading:
-Selling games that allow the (often under-age) player to be an amoral mass murderer that beats hookers to death with baseball bats = A-OK!
-Selling games that have no violence, murder, or death, but allow the (adult) player to engage in consentual sex with a game character = WRONG! Take your sick gaming elsewhere!

Who cares how adult or stupid a game is? The point is that the culture is still too damn prudish about sex

Gamers today are such little conservative whiners. My generation was defending doom and all video games from the censor happy, super prudish soccer moms and politicians, and this generation had the soccer mom rub off on them. Pun intended.

A video game is a video game. you start applying real world logic to fiction you get stupid double standards like the above. Just have an adult section, verify buyer as adult in some way (totally possible with the way steam works) and let people decide what they want to pay for. Sex isn't the most horrible thing you can do in a video game.

Gamers. I am disappoint.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
While I myself have absolutely no issue with sex games whatsoever, I will not shell out money for said games, which is why I gotta side with Valve on this: why would I shell out money for something that is, essentially, a Newgrounds Flash Portal-quality game. I say Flash Portal because Newgrounds games themselves can actually be really good (Castle Crashers, anyone?).

Also, everybody bringing up the Witcher games, GTA, Mass Effect, etc... I do believe the sexual stuff in those games is a little thing called "optional", whereas in this game, it's the whole point of it. Yes the aforementioned games have sex in them, but it doesn't mean you absolutely have to play those things.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Sean Strife said:
While I myself have absolutely no issue with sex games whatsoever, I will not shell out money for said games, which is why I gotta side with Valve on this: why would I shell out money for something that is, essentially, a Newgrounds Flash Portal-quality game. I say Flash Portal because Newgrounds games themselves can actually be really good (Castle Crashers, anyone?).

Also, everybody bringing up the Witcher games, GTA, Mass Effect, etc... I do believe the sexual stuff in those games is a little thing called "optional", whereas in this game, it's the whole point of it. Yes the aforementioned games have sex in them, but it doesn't mean you absolutely have to play those things.
So it's ok to ban a game from greenlight because you personally don't want to buy it.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Bara_no_Hime said:
The game is also kind of sexist. Where's the mode where I can play a generic female socialite and seduce one of four hot men, huh?
Yeah but if they had that then you'd just accuse them of being heteronormative. :p

Ardure

Nov 23, 2009
It's not my impression this issue is about sex itself... but rather how the characters are shallow stereotypical. The player controlled character seems to be the man who is only interested in sex and the female characters are basically the same way. The game sounds at times to be a boarder line prono.

In general I think this game is detrimental to gamer culture... only confirming all the stereotypes most of us rail against. I mean the sex in Mass Effect (yes they could be much better overall) was no where near as offensive because there was depth to the characters and you knew there was more to them than sex. ME has substance so the romance is just another layer in that game... here not so much the game is really a sex scene with something game-play like thrown in there to make it a "game."

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Offensive content seems to have been breached. If not the actual racy stuff, but the idea that sex is a reward of winning a series of minigames sits quite uncomfortably, as well.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
danon said:
Sean Strife said:

So it's ok to ban a game from greenlight because you personally don't want to buy it.
No, it's okay to ban a game that's a glorified Newgrounds dating sim. If I wanted to play that, I'd swing on over to Newgrounds and play it. I look at Steam for more "legitimate" games, so to speak.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
So shallow stereotypical characters that conforms to stereotypes are grounds for a ban. Well then probably the majority of games ever created and mass effect should be banned.