Developer Insists Dead Island Trailer Was Not Misleading

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
hermes200 said:
Since when is this an issue? Any trailer and cutscene without gameplay could be considered misleading by the same metrics... Have you seen any Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, The Old Republic or Elder Scrolls trailers? Or any other MMO trailer for that matter... The TV commercial of Black Ops 2 had Robert Downey Jr driving a jet... a Jet! I am half expecting the uproar of people calling the FTC on any of those.

The trailer was not misleading. It had zombies, it had weapons, it had a tropical setting... all you need to know is there.
I couldn't agree more. Loads of games have teasers or CGI trailers that do the same thing, and seriously what is the problem here? It's not being lied to, it is smart marketing, it's called peaking your interest. If you're gonna call foul play on this, then you better take off ANY advertisement seen on TV, cause they all show the products with more enhanced (additional even) abilites than the product itself actually contains.

People obviously have too much time on their hands.. seriously guys, think about what you can do with all that energy if you put it into something POSITIVE for a change? And maybe also put it into something that is more important in life, gaming is after all just that; a GAME.

dagens24 said:
... This is 100% the fault of the viewer.

I don't know how many times I've seen a cinematic trailer get released for a game that we've never seen gameplay for and watched as the comments filled with 'OMG GAME OF THE YEAR' 'THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAME EVER' 'BLAH BLAH BLAH DERP DERP DERP DERP' etc.

I've seen maybe one or two cinematic trailers in my lifetime that gave a fair representation of what the actual game is going to be like.
This, this, and more this.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
So Deep Silver hangs out with the War Z crew huh? How much do they think they can get away with?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
:/

I saw the trailer and hoped that Dead Island would actually be a really emotional piece.

I mean, the gameplay is generally the normal shooter fair, but hey, greater stories have come out of weirder medias.

Sadly, it didn't happen.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Harker067 said:
As for pandaria, an action scene between orcs, humans and pandas seems to be the exact kind of high fantasy adventure that at least part of WoW is trying to appeal to. Other then that see Scorpid.
Not only that, but is there anyone at this point who might be interested in WoW that isn't at least somewhat aware of what the game is actually like? Do people really still exist that could see that Mists of Pandaria trailer and be misled into thinking WoW is some kind of action game based on Kung-Fu Panda or something?

Dead Island, on the other hand, was a brand new IP no one had ever heard of, and I'm sure some people probably bought having seen nothing but the original cinematic trailer. And while I'm willing to bet the majority know that a CGI trailer isn't indicative of gameplay, I agree with you that they probably assumed it would be thematically consistent at least. Which is just another reason why Deathfish's comparison isn't really apt as far as I'm concerned.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Wait, who is accusing the developer of being misleading? It feels like half of this news story is missing - you know, like having a trail without a plaintiff. Who are the devs having to defend themselves from? Did this defence come apropos of nothing? Shouldn't this story be years old? EXPLAIN!

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I enjoy scripted games; they're what I grew up on & they're usually the only ones I play to the end before my ADD kicks in & I move on to something else.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Advertising exists to sell products. That's it. Trailers aren't meant to inform you about the game, you're meant to be intrigued about the game. The Dead Island trailer was fucking brilliant advertisement.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
misleading? watch any blizzard trailer.........

how long till i can sue for false advertisment because the cgi look nothing like the game being sold and make every look so exciting and epic.

or people could use their brains and common sense and research a bit if they are unsure as to what a game is.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
I didn't find it misleading. It's a trailer; when do trailers ever give you a truly accurate representation of a game? The trailer showed me zombies at a vacation spot. The game gave me zombies at a vacation spot. I don't even think it was misleading in terms of tone; the game did try to convey grim-dark horror, it just failed.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
havoc33 said:
hermes200 said:
Since when is this an issue? Any trailer and cutscene without gameplay could be considered misleading by the same metrics... Have you seen any Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, The Old Republic or Elder Scrolls trailers? Or any other MMO trailer for that matter... The TV commercial of Black Ops 2 had Robert Downey Jr driving a jet... a Jet! I am half expecting the uproar of people calling the FTC on any of those.

The trailer was not misleading. It had zombies, it had weapons, it had a tropical setting... all you need to know is there.
I couldn't agree more. Loads of games have teasers or CGI trailers that do the same thing, and seriously what is the problem here? It's not being lied to, it is smart marketing, it's called peaking your interest. If you're gonna call foul play on this, then you better take off ANY advertisement seen on TV, cause they all show the products with more enhanced (additional even) abilites than the product itself actually contains.
Exactly. I miss the time I could read news like this http://www.thefrisky.com/2009-11-02/indian-man-sues-axe-over-side-effect/ and laugh at people stupidity. Now they are made a feature and people is expected to agree with the writer.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
maxben said:
Deathfish15 said:
I have to agree with them. Any idiot that believes a CGI trailer represents actual gameplay is just that: an idiot. Honestly, I don't see anyone going up in arms against Blizzard, the masters of CGI trickery, who always has a CGI that shows off things that are impossible in their actual games.

Why don't we all just try and sue Blizzard because their Mists of Panderia CGI showed The Horde and The Alliance working together to fight a Panda; and that in PvP a Panda can take on other people else 1vs2; and that they can use environmental weapons; and that they can do acrobatic somersaults while kicking people in the face? After all...that's the "emotional tone" that was set in their trailer. It's only right to expect that everything in the trailer -not the gameplay videos- represents what's actually in the game.
I disagree, what you are referencing is not "emotional tone", it gameplay. While Pandaria may be slightly a bad example, look at the CGI trailers for WarcraftIII and Frozen Throne. The emotional tone was just perfect for the what the story was going for, even if the gameplay is unrelated. Personally I think the Mists of Pandaria trailer did show the tone that the Pandaran civilization would take.
Not to be a jerk or anything, but you do know what emotional tone means, right? Because acrobatic somersaults is not an emotion
Yes, I know what emotional tone is. But, people are flinging that there's both not enough emotional tone because the game isn't a suspenseful zombie survivor horror, but an action zombie slasher. They're saying that the cause of the gameplay is the effect of the lacking in emotional tone. I disagree completely, and think that emotional tone is based on the individual's interpretation of the game, or lack there of. Some people say they hate characters, some others said they like them; that again is a matter of personal opinion and translation of the game. To say the game has no emotional tone -after playing through the whole story from saving Jin at the auto shop, to seeing her kill her father, and finally watching her get shot by White at the end- is completely ignoring the story just because.

And back to what Pandaria is, it's a perfect example. The game had a completely different tone and play style than that presented in the trailer. The tone set in the trailer was that of war between Humans and Orcs, one that spread onto the beaches of Panderia. One that says that their fighting and hatred towards each other is broken by a truce when facing a new threat: Pandas. The tone of the trailer is one of a mutual agreement and hate towards a new enemy...which was not the case at all. Hell, the trailer even indicates that the Panda is only fighting to break up their fighting; but again the game isn't represented like that as the Panda race can be either "evil Horde" or "honorable Alliance", taking sides in a fight that the trailer toned them as wanting to break up (not bolster their troops).

Vivi22 said:
Harker067 said:
As for pandaria, an action scene between orcs, humans and pandas seems to be the exact kind of high fantasy adventure that at least part of WoW is trying to appeal to. Other then that see Scorpid.
Not only that, but is there anyone at this point who might be interested in WoW that isn't at least somewhat aware of what the game is actually like? Do people really still exist that could see that Mists of Pandaria trailer and be misled into thinking WoW is some kind of action game based on Kung-Fu Panda or something?

Dead Island, on the other hand, was a brand new IP no one had ever heard of, and I'm sure some people probably bought having seen nothing but the original cinematic trailer. And while I'm willing to bet the majority know that a CGI trailer isn't indicative of gameplay, I agree with you that they probably assumed it would be thematically consistent at least. Which is just another reason why Deathfish's comparison isn't really apt as far as I'm concerned.
That's a cop-out argument to excuse something because it's been there longer, but to shame something else just because it's new. The Mists of Pandaria trailer can be interpreted 1,000's of ways in which the game itself isn't intended, and this can be by players who haven't played the game in 2-3 expansions or by players who have never played it at all.

The trailer for Dead Island was a great one, but one with a simple message: zombies kill people on a resort island. Sure it left a very dramatic tone when it centered around a single family's plight at the initial infection spread, but that still gave nothing else to it unless you were completely stretching your interpretation for your own agenda.