Developer Tracks Single Pirated Software License to 750,000

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

For over a year, a software company watched a single pirated license for a one of its programs go around the world.

If the U.S. government's recent Avast [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105661-Homeland-Security-Seizes-Dozens-of-Piracy-Websites] shows exactly why governments are cracking down on piracy like this. When Avast noticed that one of its software licenses was being shared illegally, it decided to track it around the world to see how many people would use it.

A year and a half later, the license was used by 774,651 different people in 200 countries, with even the Vatican City installing the license on two computers. Apparently, the Pope needs to get his IP laws in order too.

Now, Avast is turning that frown upside down by trying to convert these hundreds of thousands of pirates into paying customers, or at least into users of Avast's free version. The pirated license won't work anymore, and will instead display a prompt with links to legitimate ways to use the program. "It was quite interesting how fast it went, but at some time the party has to end," Avast spokesman Lyle Frink said.

The pirated license was first sold to a 14-user firm in Arizona. It isn't known how it made its way to warez and other file-sharing websites, but Avast notified the firm and replaced its license, while telling them to make sure that the new license remained secure.

Avast's master plan in the matter is working, as it says there have already been conversions from pirate to customer through the new prompt. This may be the smartest way to deal with piracy yet. Tracking pirated licenses and bringing down the legal hammer is a major pain in the butt, bad PR, and arguably doesn't work to deter many people. Tracking those licenses and doing something to ensure that they become an advertisement instead is a genius move.

Still, the mega-huge number of 774,651 people using a single pirated license is a real world example of how piracy is a huge problem. Something needs to be done about it, but we can't end up living in Orwell's 1984 [http://www.amazon.com/1984-Signet-Classics-George-Orwell/dp/0451524934], so is there any real solution other than the one Avast used here?

Source: PC Pro [http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/363379/single-software-licence-shared-774-651-times]

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Avast was pirated.
Am I the only one seeing the irony in this.
Or be it just the side effect of me playn' Pirates of the Burning Sea all week. Arrrgh!

Apr 28, 2008
Well people could just not pirate. But that would mean they'd have to buy things. Which is just madness!

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
At least it's better than suing people out of house and home. At least this way, they get more profit.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I like that more companies are coming up with ways of cracking down on Piracy. This is a very clever way of doing it. Although those numbers are very disturbing too

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
If even the Palpatine ************ in Vatican City pirates, who are we to judge? He's infallible you know, hence pirating is OK as per catholic doctrine. Woohoo, new headline: "Church OKs piracy!"
Still, aren't there enough free anti-virus programs out there? Is there really any need to pirate this stuff?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
This is exactly why I think the US government getting involved in the piracy matter is BS.
Avast saw the problem and DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT .
The number is shocking, but once they got it, they didn't go bitching at politicians to solve it for them. It's not going to solve piracy, but it's a start, at least.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Irridium said:
Well people could just not pirate. But that would mean they'd have to buy things. Which is just madness!
it is kind of madness considering buying a PC is already at least 500 dollars out of your pocket and then there's the monitor, the keyboard, the speakers, the mouse

yeah, and if you're gonna pay for ALL your software, you're looking at over 1500 dollars just to get started

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
What, you saying someone realized that forcing everyone who's interested in your product to bankrupt is bad PR? And realized that offering them the free service along with the change for the real license to be bough on sale price when the occasional change for it is good.... This is mind blowing, some people know how to market and handle PR.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
wow really? someone pirated avast? thats like pirating a trojan or malware and putting it on your comp. avast is utter crap, it amazes me that they have stayed in business and people are actually pirating their stuff? Avira is free, damnit!!!

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
This is why I get angry at people who think that downloading software doesn't hurt anything. Let's just say the cost to purchase that software is $19.99 x 774,000 = 15.4 Million (approx)

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Is it just me, or is an antivirus firm about the dumbest group to pirate from, as they likely are highly adept at internet security?...

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Finally a company that's willing to (while certainly taking a hit) collect some hard longitudinal data on piracy rates. It's one thing to say "A lot of stuff gets pirated," because you can dismiss this as maybe each person sharing it with one or two friends. This shows how virally a pirated copy proliferates.

The issue at hand, though, is that this is anti-virus software. By its very nature, it must be regularly updated via the internet. That makes the licenses easier to track and provides a clear and regular avenue for ad-forcement of this type. Without that requirement, they'd have never been able to pull this off.

So, to all those that claim this is an acceptable answer because it doesn't involve lawsuits, etc., I'm not convinced you know what you're asking for here. Applying this logic to other types of software like games would mean:

1) Pushing more DLC, with an appropriate price tag, to entice pirates to pay. Which incentivizes pirating the original and paying for the DLC, rather than paying for both. This leads to the current concern that planned DLC erodes content from the original release, or at least results in inflated prices since the box price isn't getting any lower. In essence, by making DLC more important, it could be viewed as punishing the originally-paying customer... which is what everyone just got done screaming about.

2) Using DRM tactics that require a constant, or at least very regular, internet connection to verify and track the license... which is what everyone just got done screaming about.

3) Allowing companies more access to the game files on your computer, such that they could turn your functioning program into a nagging advertisement without then allowing you to just bypass the ads and still access the file... which is the straight Orwellian stuff everyone just got done screaming about.

There is an inherent inconsistency in the views professed by pirates or pirate-sympathizers, when it comes to what they feel should be done about the problem. This finding at least goes a long way toward finally shutting up those that still claim there isn't a problem, but it's far from a new or different answer on what exactly to do about it. It's just that people are willing to accept these actions (which are viewed as exploitative and/or intrusive when applied to games) because of the nature of antivirus software.

Mr. Omega said:
This is exactly why I think the US government getting involved in the piracy matter is BS.
Avast saw the problem and DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT .
The number is shocking, but once they got it, they didn't go bitching at politicians to solve it for them. It's not going to solve piracy, but it's a start, at least.
See above.

Mar 9, 2010
I like this method. It actually uses logic behind it's workings. People clearly care about their computer and they liked the software enough to keep it, if they can't have a working version they may as well buy a legal one so they don't keep having this problem. I also admire Avast for actually using this method rather than just sending it to some lawyers to sue as many people as possible.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Wow for once a sane, well thought out and balanced response to piracy. I applaude this and wish to see more of it in the future. Atleast one company has stoped crying and taken a bit of controll.

I may even go buy Avast now. (Probably not going to happen. Thanks to Avira Free)

Also; Anyone else want to see a picture of the Pope in a pirate hat? Perhaps with a sword?
Yeah that would be great.