Developers That Rub You The Wrong Way

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
What developers rub you the wrong way?

Going to get flamed for this but: Valve. Like their games but they take too damn long to make them. Not asking them to release a new game every year but L4D2 came out in 2009 and they've only released 2 bits of DLC for it, and both were mediocre at best. Hell, they both used the exact same last stage. Most developers can manage that many DLC's in a year. They strive for "perfection" and as Duke Nukem Forever taught us, the longer you take to make something "perfect," the crappier the final version will be. And their relationship with console gamers as been shaky at best. I suspect they just do it for profit, which it seems a lot of mostly PC developers do. 'We want everybody to enjoy our games!' Yeah, right. Don't get me started on the console release of TF2, which they are partly to blame for. Placing all the blame on MS for that is just stupid. And I hate how they've been put up on this pedestal to where nobody can ever say anything bad about them. "But they made Half-Life!" that doesn;t excuse them for doing shoddy business and making half-baked promises they never intend to follow through on. "We're going to release some community maps as DLC for the consoles!" B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T.

I have some other major developers I'm not suppose to say anything bad about because they made X and X was a great game so that excuses them from any criticism ever but I'm tired now and don't feel like writing anymore.

So again, what developers do you dislike for one reason or another?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Bioware. Love Mass Effect, liked Dragon Age: Origins and Jade Empire, and really like their efforts to represent gay characters in games. And they're pretty funny, though mostly not when they're trying to be. They're just too formulaic - they'd rather go for the safe option than innovate. And the romance plots, while inclusive, are (often) kind of immature with a few notable exceptions.

Akarezik

Apr 3, 2011
I'd have to go with Trion. While I applaud their work on an MMO built around dynamic content, every time I think about trying Rift, their marketing strategy, that is, shamelessly comparing themselves to WoW, puts a hold on that plan. Because no matter how much WoW shrinks (and I am an avid player, though I never raid, so I know it's hurting right now), Rift is setting themselves up to be ridiculed should it fall through, due to the ads you can almost feel the hubris in.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Blizzard. I love the games but come on. Their games are the same just with better graphics (Looking at you SC2) Their hardly any changes to their games and if some other developer try this they would get ***** out. But since this is blizzard, the creator of WoW (hate this game) no one can talk bad about them.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Obsidian springs to mind for their track record of incredibly buggy releases and supposedly shoddy Q&A testing. I was able to put up with it for a while, especially with KOTOR 2 thanks to fan-made patches, but how they handled New Vegas was just embarrassing.

Seriously Obsidian, when a studio releases DLC and a patch designed to fix a broken game that breaks it even worse it's time to realize there's a problem and start firing people.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Latley it's been THQ. It's just the responses that they've been coming out with. I mean, seriously? What are you, 5 year olds?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Right now, Capcom USA...because they're not bringing over Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2.

...Yes, I'm being petty, but that does annoy me.

I would say I'm on a Capcom boycott until they bring it over but I'm aware of 2 things.

A. That wouldn't really accomplish anything and
B. Ace Attorney are the only Capcom games I buy anyways...

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
BioWare. Mostly because of how they handled some of the RPG mechanics in Mass Effect 2. Instead of improving the systems from 1, they just removed them. I just really don't like the idea that streamlining suddenly makes the game better (Honestly, Mass Effect 2 was much better than 1 gameplay wise, but it would have been even better if they improved the stuff, instead of just cutting it out). Dragon Age 2 wasn't streamlined too badly (Crafting system was though) but the game just seemed lazy. Also, BioWare DLC's aren't very good at all (namely all the Dragon Age stuff, and even though some of the ME2 stuff was good, it was too short).

Also, although they are still one of my favorite devs, Obsidian needs to get their act together when it comes to making stable and not horribly buggy games. I don't want to have to tweak and fix the game for them.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
Koei. How many Dynasty Warrior games have there been with even basic gameplay changes avoided?

Obsidian. Don't get me wrong, I love their games, but do some bug testing.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
[Engineer] ERECTIN A FLAMESHIELD.

Ok, now that's done - Bungie, due to that whole FOUR MORE HALO GAMES thing, and Blizzard, due to how much they've ruined WoW due to making it utterly stagnate.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Rossmallo said:
Ok, now that's done - Bungie, due to that whole FOUR MORE HALO GAMES thing
Bungie's last Halo game was Reach. They no longer work on the series at all.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Rossmallo said:
[Engineer] ERECTIN A FLAMESHIELD.

Ok, now that's done - Bungie, due to that whole FOUR MORE HALO GAMES thing, and Blizzard, due to how much they've ruined WoW due to making it utterly stagnate.
The 4 more halo games aren't anything to do with Bungie - They've left to do other things, but Microsoft own the Halo IP and now 343 are doing the development.

As much as I love them, Mojang, for not testing their patches sufficiently. Yes, Minecraft is still a beta. Doesn't mean you can get away with some of the damage their patches have done (eg, 1.6). I think they've just not transitioned to a "proper" development company, but it still frustrates me.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Ah, okay. Sorry, Bungie. I'll forgive them for Reach, then, because they made the SPECTACULAR Myth games.

MAKE A HOLE

My point on Blizz still stands, though. Lesson from Cata - Don't release half an expansion.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Outcast107 said:
Blizzard. I love the games but come on. Their games are the same just with better graphics (Looking at you SC2) Their hardly any changes to their games and if some other developer try this they would get ***** out. But since this is blizzard, the creator of WoW (hate this game) no one can talk bad about them.
Agreed. And where the hell is my Diablo 3 Blizzard? I´d rather play that, I'd rather play a Warcraft IV, ANYTHING but another crappy WoW expansion!!!

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Simeon Ivanov said:
Outcast107 said:
Agreed. And where the hell is my Diablo 3 Blizzard? I´d rather play that, I'd rather play a Warcraft IV, ANYTHING but another crappy WoW expansion!!!
Agreed with this too. Almost as heinous as friggin' Valve.

Feb 13, 2008
Gorilla Gunk said:
Going to get flamed for this but: Valve.
Not gonna flame, just gonna re-assess your points.

Valve
. take too long: So they should be whipped to work faster?
. DNF wasn't good: So no-one should ever strive again?
. "as a PC developer, they don't have a great relationship with consoles." Really?
. "They're just doing it for the money". Unlike every other company ever.
. 'We want everybody to enjoy our games!' - They probably do, y'know. All game developers want people to enjoy their games.
. the console release of TF2 - Valve attempted to fix that a number of times, but were just held to insane rules.
. pedestal theory - pointing out flaws in emotional, rather than logical arguments, isn't a pedestal. It's just that all of your flaws can be applied to other manufacturers and more. Even if we accept all of your criticisms as true, there are companies far worse.
. shoddy business: Care to give some examples?
. "We're going to release some community maps as DLC for the consoles!" And they might, but it's a little harsh to attack someone before they've had chance to fulfil their promise, isn't it?

Now if you still want to hate Valve because you don't like black and grey artwork, or the bald guy creeps you out or it once looked at your bird funny then fair enough.

But you don't seem to have any solid evidence to hate them, just feelings and misinformation.

My own personal hate figure is pretty obvious, but that's because of dodgy business practices, multiple lawsuits, suit-dodging, jack-booted non-payment and strip-mining IPS. All of which I've got a nice bookmarked link for. I could also hate them for all of your Valve reasons, but they're feelings rather than facts.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Rossmallo said:
Simeon Ivanov said:
Outcast107 said:
Agreed with this too. Almost as heinous as friggin' Valve.
Agree with this one agreeing with the other one.
My hype for Diablo III died a long time ago, but my fingers still itch whenever I get reminded of it. Blizzard might do quality products, but it takes them way to long to develop considering the resources they have.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
" They strive for "perfection" and as Duke Nukem Forever taught us, the longer you take to make something "perfect," the crappier the final version will be."

And as every single one of Valve's games have shown us, that rule doesn't apply to everyone.

As for campaigns, there's some more coming soon, and I'm pretty sure I have like 9 official ones anyway, so that would seem more than two.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Namco Bandai.

Motherfuckers have so many Tales games in Japan.

And localize so few, despite a sizable fanbase.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Namco Bandai.

Motherfuckers have so many Tales games in Japan.

And localize so few, despite a sizable fanbase.
God that pisses me off so much. I've been waiting 3 years for a new Tales game and there has been like 3-ish released only in Japan since then. They are releasing the PS3 version of Graces in English at least.