Developers That Rub You The Wrong Way

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
publishers seem to rub me wrong more then developers, but that isn't what we are hear about, now is it?

Obsidian is on the list. I know they make great games, but if they would only spend the extra month to test thier games before releasing them to the masses they would be truely great. And their mistakes aren't "well gee, who would talk to the guy who teaches you how to catch a pokemon and then fly to cinnabar Island" Glitches that are just absurd, but stuff like patching a game and the patch eats all the saves players had. That would take five minutes worth of playtesting to figure out.

Valve, there is a such thing as taking to long on a game. Releasing a game that is half good and can be fixed with free dlc is better then never releasing a game at all. Also, Valve fanboys pestering for episode 3, YOU ARE NOT HELPING. You are doing the same thing that happened to Valve during the production of Half Life 2. You are setting your expectations too high. Seriously, just forget about Half Life for a few years. It worked for Starcraft 2 and Duke Nukem Forever.

Nintendo, You keep talking about innovation, but when was the last time you made a new franchise? I can only play the same Zelda game being released under a different name so much.

Square Enix, Final Fantasy 7 was great, but can we please go back to the faceless characters. That's what I liked most about the first one (besides the class system), You could will in the characters with the personality you felt most appropriate. WIth you telling us how the characters act it stops becoming an RPG and just an adventure.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
well atleast Valve,s games are bug free.
Betheshda,s games are always chock full of bug,s.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
I'm gonna get some hate for this, but I really can't stand Bethesda. I try to like their games, I really do. RPGs are my favorite genre of game. But the NPCs always kill the immersion I get from their games. I don't care how good the combat is or how refined their skill system is, the creepy faces of the random people I talk to always break me out of my gaming mood. That and its really annoying to hear random person A talk with his clone random person B about the store that his other clone random person C runs. Maybe if they take on Bioware's approach to character design I'll forgive them.

Another is the bastards behind Metroid: Other M (my brain refuses to remember them for the massive murder they did to that series). Seriously, you have to be pretty damn incompetent to ruin a series that is already so amazingly good and has the ground work already laid out for you. Its proof that almost all Nintendo protagonists shouldn't talk.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
ultratog1028 said:
publishers seem to rub me wrong more then developers, but that isn't what we are hear about, now is it?

Obsidian is on the list. I know they make great games, but if they would only spend the extra month to test thier games before releasing them to the masses they would be truely great. And their mistakes aren't "well gee, who would talk to the guy who teaches you how to catch a pokemon and then fly to cinnabar Island" Glitches that are just absurd, but stuff like patching a game and the patch eats all the saves players had. That would take five minutes worth of playtesting to figure out.

Valve, there is a such thing as taking to long on a game. Releasing a game that is half good and can be fixed with free dlc is better then never releasing a game at all. Also, Valve fanboys pestering for episode 3, YOU ARE NOT HELPING. You are doing the same thing that happened to Valve during the production of Half Life 2. You are setting your expectations too high. Seriously, just forget about Half Life for a few years. It worked for Starcraft 2 and Duke Nukem Forever.

Nintendo, You keep talking about innovation, but when was the last time you made a new franchise? I can only play the same Zelda game being released under a different name so much.

Square Enix, Final Fantasy 7 was great, but can we please go back to the faceless characters. That's what I liked most about the first one (besides the class system), You could will in the characters with the personality you felt most appropriate. WIth you telling us how the characters act it stops becoming an RPG and just an adventure.
Well, Nintendo DO innovate, they just only do it with their consoles for some reason. Still, that's better than not innovating at all.

It also makes me lol that so many gamers go "WE DEMAND INNOVATION!" and bash non-innovative games, before immediately bashing the Wii, WiiU and Kinect for not being exactly the same as what works. Derp, hypocrisy.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
Arluza said:
Lionhead for everything Fable related.
In what way? The Fable series is an excellent one.
I actually hope to work for Lionhead in the future because of B&W and Fable.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
Namco Bandai.

Motherfuckers have so many Tales games in Japan.

And localize so few, despite a sizable fanbase.
Indeed. Also hate them for what they did to Symphonia in the sequel.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Gorilla Gunk said:
What developers rub you the wrong way?

I have some other major developers I'm not suppose to say anything bad about because they made X and X was a great game so that excuses them from any criticism ever but I'm tired now and don't feel like writing anymore.

So again, what developers do you dislike for one reason or another?
That?s bs. You?re allowed to badmouth any developer you want.
They all kind of rub me the wrong way. Even the ones who made games I really like. I love San Andreas but that doesn?t change the fact that R* has become too pretentious for its own good with this generation. Then they decided to make actual gameplay content ?bonus? pre-order dlc and that really rubbed me the wrong way. I loved Fallout 3 but I also recognize that Bethesda can?t produce a stable game to save their lives. And as excited as everyone is for Skyrim, I can?t help but feel it?s going to be an even bigger mess because of the new engine. Burnout 3 and Revenge were some of the best driving games of all time but since then Criterion has crashed the series into the mountain. Now it?s like any other racing game.
Then there?s studios like capcom who always have dlc on the disc so I don?t even bother with them anymore.
But these are corporations whos intention is to make as much money as they can for the shareholders. What really rubs me the wrong way are the fanboys who pretend that they don?t and refuse to accept a single criticism of these corporations.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
Going to get flamed for this but: Valve.
Not gonna flame, just gonna re-assess your points.

Valve
. take too long: So they should be whipped to work faster?
. DNF wasn't good: So no-one should ever strive again?
. "as a PC developer, they don't have a great relationship with consoles." Really?
. "They're just doing it for the money". Unlike every other company ever.
. 'We want everybody to enjoy our games!' - They probably do, y'know. All game developers want people to enjoy their games.
. the console release of TF2 - Valve attempted to fix that a number of times, but were just held to insane rules.
. pedestal theory - pointing out flaws in emotional, rather than logical arguments, isn't a pedestal. It's just that all of your flaws can be applied to other manufacturers and more. Even if we accept all of your criticisms as true, there are companies far worse.
. shoddy business: Care to give some examples?
. "We're going to release some community maps as DLC for the consoles!" And they might, but it's a little harsh to attack someone before they've had chance to fulfil their promise, isn't it?

Now if you still want to hate Valve because you don't like black and grey artwork, or the bald guy creeps you out or it once looked at your bird funny then fair enough.

But you don't seem to have any solid evidence to hate them, just feelings and misinformation.

My own personal hate figure is pretty obvious, but that's because of dodgy business practices, multiple lawsuits, suit-dodging, jack-booted non-payment and strip-mining IPS. All of which I've got a nice bookmarked link for. I could also hate them for all of your Valve reasons, but they're feelings rather than facts.
my problem with Valve? either all their games are in first person, highly linear (i like free-roaming games the best), or they just bought the right to a somewhat finished product from someone else (L4D and DoTA spring to mind). I have yet to see them break out of their comfort zone and make something completely different.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Obviously there's a bit of variation here or there, but the narrative is practically the same for each game, and for a studio praised for their storytelling abilities, it's not even a particularly original narrative. When they start using narratives other than "threat from beyond comes to take over the world", and actually start experimenting with storytelling techniques in a way which justifies their hype, I'll start supporting them again. As it is, they're a studio who make games with unremarkable gameplay and overrated, contrived stories.
Have you tried Dragon Age 2?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
blizzaradragon said:
Another is the bastards behind Metroid: Other M (my brain refuses to remember them for the massive murder they did to that series). Seriously, you have to be pretty damn incompetent to ruin a series that is already so amazingly good and has the ground work already laid out for you. Its proof that almost all Nintendo protagonists shouldn't talk.
That would be the original creator of the Metroid series, directing Team Ninja.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Snowy Rainbow said:
Those people that are making the new Twisted Metal. Jaffe or something is one of them. I hate that guy.
Not trolling just curious but whats your problem with Jaffe.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Mostly BioWare because they are constantly praised for good writing and mature themes that their games don't actually have. Often fun games sure, but BioWare writers are clearly trying too hard at something that doesn't come naturally to them. It feels like they just use a simple checklist for every game like it's more of a business model than an artistic experience.

this isnt my name said:
I find the rockstar hate funny, yes pc gamers, you dont get RDR and LA Noire, but lots of console gamers dont get PC games, really its quite petty, you seem to feel entitled.
How is it "entitlement" when nobody ever said consoles shouldn't have those games? People like you who turn it into some superficial competition are the ones who end up sounding entitled, the rest of us just want to play games. I'm kind of upset that I won't be able to play Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire, and that feeling has zero to do with fairness.

What I'm saying is, stop projecting your own entitlement and hiding behind the justification of trendy hate.

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
Developer-wise I'm not sure but I definately hate Activision.

Bethesda always irks me with their load of bugs.

Square Enix (not as a publisher as a developer, which some people seem to be confused if they see SE on the box) definately is on a downward slope.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Nimcha said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Obviously there's a bit of variation here or there, but the narrative is practically the same for each game, and for a studio praised for their storytelling abilities, it's not even a particularly original narrative. When they start using narratives other than "threat from beyond comes to take over the world", and actually start experimenting with storytelling techniques in a way which justifies their hype, I'll start supporting them again. As it is, they're a studio who make games with unremarkable gameplay and overrated, contrived stories.
Have you tried Dragon Age 2?
No intentions to. The story may be better (or at least, more political and less fantastical), but I can't get enthused about any fantasy RPG which simply takes place in one city (Vagrant Story aside). I've heard plenty of criticisms for the game, and can't really be arsed to play through however many hours of repetitive levels and button mashing combat, just to experience a story that may be alright.
I see. Well, they did try something quite different with the story in that one. And I kind of liked it, even though I think they messed up the ending a bit.

But people don't seem to want that either, so as far as BioWare is concerned they can't win in that regard.