Devin Faraci - Guy who called us terrorists

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Yeah, Faraci was a gigantic whopping dick to say that he had more respect for ISIS than some people acting in a questionable manner on the interwebz. It also either shows a disturbing lack of information about what's happening in Iraq this very second (you know, ISIS destabilizing the region, rolling into towns and executing whole families, beheading journalists, and actively raping and enslaving women), or just show-cased the biggest case of First World Privilege the world has ever seen.

Not entirely sure which is more pathetic. To casually make such a comment like that was disgusting. Real, innocent people are dying right now in Iraq. I'll take any amount of sexist internet trolls over ISIS any day of the week.

EDIT-I've also stayed clean from the debate raging on right now. Its just that it infuriates me that Devin Faraci's comment is going to get swept under the rug and lost below the blazing seas of the debate. It shouldn't. He needs to be held accountable for saying that. Faraci should be grateful that the only problems he has to face today are assholes on the internet.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
The worst thing about this entire hubbub is that it is entirely pointless. It's like saying that "all readers should be erased for sending death-threats to G.R.R. Martin". Nonsense.

Gamers are not going to go anywhere. While there is always a debate about the whole hardcore/casual demarcation, there are tens if not hundreds of millions of active "gamers" on the planet. It is a hobby as wide-spread as watching movies or reading books, and the current gaming community cannot be just flushed away to "start anew" like some people naively posited.

Gamers are not going change either, since there is nothing to change. Being a "gamer" doesn't mean subscribing to some kind of agenda or coda that everyone follows, something that can be changed by removing a few tenets or adding an addendum to the bottom. Gamers are from all genders, colors, nations and income levels. At the end of the day each and every gamer is an individual, with their own individual personality and beliefs, only loosely connected by sharing the same hobby.

Gaming isn't going anywhere either. It's an industry that moves billions of dollars, there is a huge market for it and as long as they can meet said market's demands, it will stay right where it is.

Finally, gaming isn't going to change either. Gaming is a part of culture right now. It will change with it. When people will demand female protagonists, better gender-representation or any other such thing, the industry will change to accommodate them as long as they are willing to vote with their wallets. It's not going to change because of pressure from above by journalists or ideologues making videos on the net, nor will they change from the pressure from pockets of radicals on social media sites shouting at them through twitter.

The only thing this accomplishes is creating a divide by triggering fears of censorship, manipulation and corruption while demonizing both sided in the process, and it is just sad and infuriating.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Sleekit said:
there is really no "sea of debate"

there's a just a tiny clique of collage age kids that think they've got the power to push a collage campus level agenda on the gaming business when they really, really don't and there's everyone else predominately telling them, in one way or another, that they're morons for trying (even if it's via complete disinterest).

"we're" not going to have a "sea of debate".

what "we're" actually going to have is perhaps more akin to a lancing combined with a reality check.
Damn, I couldn't have put that any better if I had tried.

But yeah, Devin Faraci's a colossal unredeemable ass for that. "Haha, I have more respect for people who're murdering people than people who're discussing corruption!" Seriously?

Velventian

Left here for the world to see
May 17, 2013
Zeconte said:
With moviebob and other web persona it´s mostly arguable and you are right that those didn`target gamers in general, but he did.
He straight up calls out gamers as a whole so yeah maybe you don`t see yourself as gamer, i don`t know if you do.
His intent is clear though...
1) Insult large group of people
2) Have them retweet/respond to said insult
3) (deleted an insult here, sorry but sometimes i can get angry too)
4)Profit!!!
Like Cap already said in the Avengers:
"This is a man who means to start a war, and if we don't stay focused, he'll succeed."

This thread is meant for people to discuss and react to his baseless accusations here in this forum where he can`t profit from it.

And maybe soon the situation about journalism has been resolved we can focus on dealing with the likes of him but i think for now we should focus on the matter at hand, put all the stuff about him here (or somewhere else) so it doesn`t distract people from more important issues.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
He explicitly compared people who harrass, bully, call swat teams on people, bomb threats, personal information sharing, hacking and stealing of credit card information to that. And explicitly described the whole "Not all gamers" bit. If you still think he's referring to you, then you're up to some seriously nasty shit, because you can't be literate and that unable to read (And reading actually means trying to understand what he wrote rather than getting bent out of shape and "Offended", you PC Police[See, we can do that too], about something you're doing your best to take the wrong way). The best way to show that "Gamers" aren't like that (And they are. Gaming is a vile cesspool, and it can take some real stomach to get through this shit. Apparently strict moderation of this shit makes something "Famously liberal". *Vomit*), is to cut out the scum that would do this.

Devin Faraci didn't call me a terrorist. He called out a bunch of scum sucking terrorists for exactly what they are, and in doing so, did more for gamers than a million homophobic, racist, misogynistic bigots could in a decade of living in their mothers basement's cultivating hatred. If you actually have a problem with gamers being noticed for the things that a fair number of them are engaged in, then you should get rid of the scummy ones, not the ones trying to get rid of them.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Heres a new idea. If you dont like what hes saying, don't read it.

He's not coming to your twitter account and bothering you (not that I'd have one). You have to go and find him to get offended. There are gamers and internet trolls who are dicks. He's clearly not talking about me and if he was It's of no interest. I do not know him, hes of no value to me and his influence is minimal.

Stating he has more respect for ISIS just shows how privilaged he is that he cannot be executed by them, which is highly likely if he was dropped in the wrong part of Iraq tomorrow. He may see the difference between their actions an d someone with a differing opinion on the internet.

I wouldnt wish this on him or anyone else but his perspective seems a little off to me.

All the same who is he? Hes not important, I remain unbothered by his comments.

Velventian

Left here for the world to see
May 17, 2013
Zeconte said:
"As far as I can tell, this particular "insult" was talking specifically about people who are being two faced, who are using a "legitimate concern" to mask their horrible behavior as being justified..."

That ISIS comment was like that but this:
https://twitter.com/devincf/status/505220941777891328
He is starting to target gamers as a whole.

"But your side has had plenty of people who have been just as bad, and those tend to be the people they are (semi)privately insulting. However, I don't see you creating threads calling them out for it."

I condemn harassment no matter where it comes from and i never denied that people "on the other side" have been harassed by people from "our side". Both side have those people, its as simple as that, but we can`t go after everyone. Trust me i would love for the internet to become a place where people are held accountable for what they say just like in the real world but i am enough of a realist to know that won`t happen.

"Nor do I see the other side creating threads calling them out about it. And yet, I constantly see complaints from your side about harassment." What about TotalBiscuit or Jontron? they didn´t even harass or insult anyone, they just expressed their opinion.

"We don't see smear campaigns being lead publicly by gaming journalists attempting to destroy your credibility."
What about all those articles claiming gamers are misogynistic, saying that gamer is dead because we are such horrible people?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224400/Gamers_dont_have_to_be_your_audience_Gamers_are_over.php

"Makes it all seem a little one-sided, and doesn't exactly paint you guys as the good guys fighting the good fight, does it?"
So most of the gaming media going around and calling gamers misogynistic and sexists wasn`t one sided?

"All we see is you guys going to their personal social media pages and quote mining to smear them to as many people as you can, to turn as many people against them as you can.""You literally seem to be attempting to raise an army"

Funny when i do it it`s "raising an army" but more then often behavior like that is called "creating awareness".

Like i said before, i dont know if you see yourself as a gamer or not but as far as i can see it those tweets are aimed at gamers as a whole.

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/503645433504071682
https://twitter.com/devincf/status/503647651103899648
https://twitter.com/devincf/status/505843640795529216
https://twitter.com/devincf/status/505829555550973952
https://twitter.com/devincf/status/505816952476954624

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Loonyyy said:
He explicitly compared people who harrass, bully, call swat teams on people, bomb threats, personal information sharing, hacking and stealing of credit card information to that. And explicitly described the whole "Not all gamers" bit. If you still think he's referring to you, then you're up to some seriously nasty shit, because you can't be literate and that unable to read (And reading actually means trying to understand what he wrote rather than getting bent out of shape and "Offended", you PC Police[See, we can do that too], about something you're doing your best to take the wrong way). The best way to show that "Gamers" aren't like that (And they are. Gaming is a vile cesspool, and it can take some real stomach to get through this shit. Apparently strict moderation of this shit makes something "Famously liberal". *Vomit*), is to cut out the scum that would do this.

Devin Faraci didn't call me a terrorist. He called out a bunch of scum sucking terrorists for exactly what they are, and in doing so, did more for gamers than a million homophobic, racist, misogynistic bigots could in a decade of living in their mothers basement's cultivating hatred. If you actually have a problem with gamers being noticed for the things that a fair number of them are engaged in, then you should get rid of the scummy ones, not the ones trying to get rid of them.
Yeah, this.

I'm not insulted because he's not talking about me. I don't engage in that kind of behaviour. Do you guys?

If no, he's not talking about you.

And anyway, who cares?

I've been told a million times `just ignore them`. What's up with people lately? Some gamers seem to be running around screaming like vampires burning in the sun. The whole place has gone loony.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Phasmal said:
Loonyyy said:

Yeah, this.

I'm not insulted because he's not talking about me. I don't engage in that kind of behaviour. Do you guys?

If no, he's not talking about you.

And anyway, who cares?

I've been told a million times `just ignore them`. What's up with people lately? Some gamers seem to be running around screaming like vampires burning in the sun. The whole place has gone loony.
I am not someone who makes bomb threats, shares personal information, hacks, steals credit information, calls swat teams, harasses, or bullies. So, in light of that stunning revelation, I'm going to have to disagree with your assertions here.

See, when the guy makes statements like in this tweet right here -

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/505843640795529216

- his words indicate that he's insulting the moderate folks who just want better standards and transparency in place, the same people who've made a strong point of denouncing the volatile elements on their "side" as well as the opposition's. The very benign "gamers against corruption" label is being used to paint an entire reasonable sect with the same brush as the infantile jerks who are trolling and harassing.

It isn't at all fair, doesn't contribute anything remotely useful to the discussion, and it isn't intellectually honest in the slightest bit.

The man is as much of a troll as the people he purports to detest. If anything, he should be called out on his hypocritical behavior then swiftly forgotten about...which is what I'm personally trying to do, but people, on both sides of the discussion, keep bringing him up in the form of threads (like this one), tweets (like the ones linked in here, one of which I cribbed to make a point), and articles praising him for his apparent level-headed approach to the issue (MovieBob).

It's making it a bit difficult.

And it's all well and good that you don't view yourself as being a target here, but admitting that massive, unnecessarily volatile generalizations are being made by both parties and that doing so isn't helpful... isn't really hurting you.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
LostGryphon said:
And it's all well and good that you don't view yourself as being a target here, but admitting that massive, unnecessarily volatile generalizations are being made by both parties and that doing so isn't helpful... isn't really hurting you.
Well, yes, people are making massive generalisations. But I've been on the internet for more than five minutes, so I assumed everyone was kind of used to that shit.

I'm really not seeing what the big deal is, sorry. If you're not engaging in the harmful behaviour, then people getting mad at those who are shouldn't bother you. I'll have to agree to disagree.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I don't want to give Devin Faraci any more attention than I already have, but I will leave this Tweet of his that he posted a while back.

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/500296086225833985

Devin Faraci said:
When I was 17/18 I regularly stole from stores. Sometimes brazenly. Picked things up, walked out, told the clerk ''fuck you'' and ran.
So for people who admire him or his work, that's the kind of man you're holding up as some advocate of decency.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Phasmal said:
LostGryphon said:
Well, yes, people are making massive generalisations. But I've been on the internet for more than five minutes, so I assumed everyone was kind of used to that shit.

I'm really not seeing what the big deal is, sorry. If you're not engaging in the harmful behaviour, then people getting mad at those who are shouldn't bother you. I'll have to agree to disagree.
Well, yeah. Which is why I'm not at all surprised that this is occurring either. This being the internet, people making threats and generally being assholes to one another isn't a surprise either, but it certainly gets more than its fair share of press.

The big deal is that it really isn't a big deal. It's a dude being a troll and I personally don't give a flying fuck what the guy does or doesn't say. I was, however, attempting to point out to some of you folks that the grievances some of my compatriots have with the man aren't entirely unfounded. That's really it.

But I'll respect your wish to agree to disagree. No worries and all that.