Devin Faraci - Guy who called us terrorists

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
bobleponge said:
I feel like this whole kerfuffle is because gamers* have a serious deficiency in reading comprehension. Which kinda makes sense I guess. If you're the kind of guy who's into computers and math, and not really into English, reading, or writing, there's a good chance you're into video games.

But seriously people, look at the intent of what people wrote. There are many, many instances where taking what someone wrote or said literally means that you are misunderstanding them (see: sarcasm). Try to understand what they are trying to say before you respond. There's a reason the legal system enforces the intent of the law, not the letter of the law.

DrOswald said:
A rich man has been manipulated by his girlfriend. She was cheating on him with his best buddy while pressing him for money. He discovers this manipulation. Angry, the man writes the following tweets in sequence:

1. "My girlfriend was using me for my money while screwing by best friend."
2. "Why do some women manipulate, cheat, and lie?"
3. "Women are despicable."
Let's look at this example. In this case, it's clear that this hypothetical man is expressing "I am angry and hurt by this situation, so I am venting." That is reasonable. However, let's say that this man kept tweeting about how "women are despicable," long after his break up. Then, you could infer that he was expressing "I have come to believe that women in general are despicable." He is no longer being hyperbolic, he is being literal. This is not reasonable, this is a crappy belief to have. Notice how his intent has changed, in regards to the ideas he is expressing.

So when Devin Faraci tweets that "these gamers are worse than ISIS," a quick examination of the context of that statement, and Devin's general tone when writing, should reveal that this is not a statement that is meant to be taken literally. It was meant to convey the idea that Devin strongly disapproves of misogynist people within the gaming community.

Similarly, when a blog writer writes "Gamers are Dead," they are also not meaning to be taken literally. It is clearly a hyperbolic title meant to draw attention to the article itself. I don't believe that any bloggers truly believe that all people who play video games are deceased, nor that they should be killed. That is not the intent of their writing, and it's silly to argue against that point.

*note that, by reading the content of this post, it should be clear that I am not referring literally to all people who play video games, nor all people who are video game hobbyists. For one, I myself play video games. I am referring to a specific group within the culture of video games.
Devin Faraci is a professional communicator. He has been working in this field for sometime. Hyperbole, exaggeration and sarcasm are not tools of communication, they are tools of propaganda. Faraci knows this and he should know better than to use them when talking about something as important as gender equality.

Devin Faraci is a professional communicator. If it is true that gamers have unusually low reading comprehension then he should be able to take that fact into account when deciding what to write. This is literally his job.

Devin Faraci is a professional communicator. He should learn the self control required to give a subject like this the respect it deserves instead of getting into pissing contests to see who is the biggest bastard on the internet.

Devin Faraci is a professional communicator. He should start acting like it.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Zeconte said:
DrOswald said:
Devin Faraci is a professional communicator. He has been working in this field for sometime. Hyperbole, exaggeration and sarcasm are not tools of communication, they are tools of propaganda. Faraci knows this and he should know better than to use them when talking about something as important as gender equality.
Not only, as bobleponge already pointed out, is "professional communicator" not a thing, but Hyperbole, exaggeration, sarcasm and propaganda are all tools of communication. Pretty much everyone trying to convince others of something utilized propaganda to do so, because it is one of the single most effective tools of communication to convince people. Hell, pretty much any and all advertisements are a form of propaganda, trying to convince you that their product is better than their competitors. Being an effective communicator and an effective propagandist go hand in hand. You cannot be good at one without also being good at the other.

Devin Faraci is a professional communicator. If it is true that gamers have unusually low reading comprehension then he should be able to take that fact into account when deciding what to write. This is literally his job.
No, his job is to literally attract people to the site through which he earns revenue, so as to bring in more revenue for said site. If the gamers he is insulting happen to have unusually low reading comprehension, that doesn't matter, because there's plenty of other gamers who do not, and who are more than willing to laugh at and ridicule the subset of gamers he is insulting for their ridiculous and horrible behavior right along with him, who understand that they're not the type of gamer he is talking about and therefore do not feel offended by the things he says. And even those gamers who do feel offended still give him publicity and therefore increase his revenue, because they make a public spectacle out of it, such as this very thread, and expose him and his site to a wider audience by doing so.

Devin Faraci is a professional communicator. He should learn the self control required to give a subject like this the respect it deserves instead of getting into pissing contests to see who is the biggest bastard on the internet.
Or, you know, he, like many other gamers, fully realize this subject is completely unworthy of respect and completely worthy of ridicule. He realizes that people who get so upset over some game developer sleeping with some game journalist and some other people and some woman criticizing certain games for sexism that they're willing to threaten them with rape and death and call in fake bomb threats to get their point across are completely unworthy of respect and completely worthy of ridicule. And therefore, he is giving them as much respect as they deserve, which is none at all.

Devin Faraci is a professional communicator. He should start acting like it.
Which he fully is. Just because you among many others don't like his message doesn't mean he's not effectively communicating the point he wants to communicate to the audience he wants to communicate it to. And if you want to claim that you're part of the gamer crowd he is insulting, then you are not the part of the gamer crowd he wanted to communicate to with those tweets, you are part of the crowd he is insulting, because you have chosen to throw your support behind them. I'm still not sure why people are so willing to support the gamer crowd he is insulting by getting so upset when he insults them, but if it's a simple lack of comprehension, you've had it reexplained to you multiple times, by both him and others who actually understand what he is saying, so I find it hard to believe that's all there is to it.

If you comprehend who among the gamer community he is insulting and why, yet still insist on taking offense to it, then chances are, it struck a nerve for you personally for some reason, and not because you honestly believe that all gamers should be offended when the worst elements of the community are called out for abhorrent behavior. This may be as simple as your inability to separate yourself from the "gamer" label, that you have internalized it as your identity to such a fundamental level that lashing out against any perceived attack upon the label triggers an irrational defense mechanism within you. It may be that you recognize that you've participated in questionable behavior over these issues, even if you don't feel you've taken it nearly as far as others have, and therefore, feel like you shouldn't be insulted to that extent, even if others do deserve to be. Maybe you fully recognize that you weren't insulted, but are so caught up in fighting for what you perceive is right, that misrepresenting the other side in order to discredit them through a propaganda campaign is a fully acceptable thing to do. Maybe it's something else. I don't know. But I do know that no one who recognizes the types of gamers he is talking about, recognizes that they are not a part of that crowd and want nothing to do with them, and are rational enough about the issue to assess it critically, has any reason to feel insulted by what he's said.

If you still do, then it is time you took a long, hard look at yourself and find out why. Self reflection and awareness are a beautiful thing, and you shouldn't be afraid to stare into the abyss unless you truly fear what might stare back at you from within yourself.
Ok, lets talk about this. I have criticized the way Devin Faraci has acted, not the side he is on. He has been, by his own admission, "a complete dick". That is what I am criticizing, his behavior that was completely dickish and self destructive by his own admission.

I care about equality in gaming. I care so god damned much that I am not going to let completely dickish and self destructive behavior, like the behavior of Devin Faraci, go by unchallenged, especially not by the people who are supposedly on my side. Because not only was his behavior destructive to himself, it was destructive to the goal of equality.

But for some reason everytime I say it isn't ok to say completely dickish and self destructive things people like you come out of the wood work to argue that not only are completely dickish and self destructive things ok to say, but that anyone who doesn't think completely dickish and self destructive things are ok to say is obviously because "it struck a nerve for you personally for some reason". Because if I don't like people saying completely dickish and self destructive things it must be because I am one of the people he was targeting them at.

And you know what? You are right. It struck a personal nerve. Just not the one you are thinking. It struck the same personal nerve that made me so disgusted at the homophobic and irrational things being said that I walked out of my church. It struck the same personal nerve that makes it so I can't stomach the assholes who made life a living hell for my friend because he was gay.

10 years ago I found out that one of my good friends was gay. I was the last of our circle to find this out. This was because I was a religious person. Though I was completely against the prejudice against homosexuals in my church I kept my mouth shut. They were assholes and I let that go unchallenged. Because I never spoke out my friend was afraid I would act like they did.

I was shocked when I learned why he had hid this from me for so long. And the worst thing was that he was right. I was complicit in the destructive behavior of the people I associated with. He had every reason to fear I was like them.

So never again. I don't give "my side" a free pass. I am on the side of the feminists here. Anita didn't fake those threats, Zoe Quinn's personal life is none of our business. But that doesn't excuse the deplorable and irrational behavior of people like Devin Faraci.

And do you know what the worst part of all this is? No one argues with me when I say sexist gamers should stop being sexist. When I call out specific instances of horrible sexism no one tries to justify it. But when I challenge the completely dickish and self destructive behavior of Devin Faraci people come out of the wood work to tell my why it is ok for him to be a complete dick and why I must be a horrible person for challenging it.

wetnap

Sep 1, 2011
Loonyyy said:
Devin Faraci didn't call me a terrorist. He called out a bunch of scum sucking terrorists for exactly what they are, and in doing so, did more for gamers than a million homophobic, racist, misogynistic bigots could in a decade of living in their mothers basement's cultivating hatred. If you actually have a problem with gamers being noticed for the things that a fair number of them are engaged in, then you should get rid of the scummy ones, not the ones trying to get rid of them.
No he didn't, he specially said any anti-quinn person was a terrorist/isis.

Which is a bout as stupid as saying that if you are for obama, you are for the terrorists...

The man is a clown, its just a fact. Look at his article on how gamers are losers.

He simply says that Jordan Owen is evil. Does he substantiate this rather serious charge?

Nope.

Anyone who watches Jordan knows that while long winded, he's got objective and legitimate criticisms of Anita Sarkeesian, and he's about as progressive as it gets. So either Faraci doesn't research before he levels serious charges at people, or he simply is a dishonest person who will say such things even when he knows better. So whats the choice? Incompetent or malicious?

The unethical and unprofessional behavior of Faraci is emblematic of the problem within games "journalism". He is the example of why gamers are angry. And its sad that sites like euro gamer see fit to cite him as good sources of information on this issue.

And it looks like the problem with this guy goes way back
http://www.edrants.com/why-devin-faraci-is-unfit-to-practice-journalism/comment-page-1

#Gamergate Gamers Are Dead? No They Are Just Furious
GamingAnarchist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KuS979AiQA

Anyways Thunderf00ts latest answer to all this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tXyqPCOCM
"Anita Sarkeesians 'death threats' and Joss Whedons 'misogyny'! "

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Zeconte said:
Perhaps it's because you choose to call out Devin Faraci in the defense of people who are being even more dickish and actually harmful towards others?
And right here we have the problem. I didn't speak out in defense of anyone. I called out behavior that was unacceptable, words that the speaker himself agrees were unacceptable. But you are so stuck in us vs them that all you can see is an enemy. Because anyone who even questions the actions of your side must be one of them.

"It is important toe the line in these troubled times. We should show solidarity and support our comrades even if they step out of line. And if someone does step over the line the is a right way to call them out and a wrong way. When you criticize one of us you weaken our position. And, after all, we are fighting against something much worse." I have heard all the arguments before. I am not impressed.

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
Wait, when did this become a thing? I gather this person has unresolved problems he should see a professional about- judging by his tweets- and that he may in fact have the IQ of a beansprout. But Why is this a thread? I've never heard of him, so he can't be that significant. Let's ignore the tit.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Seriously, how can people spend so much time about nothing. Not that gaming itself is really meaningful or impactful in this world, no, people start meta-debates about sub-topics of it and this for weeks over pages and pages of wasted bytes.

Did that 9000 page long grabage-truck of a thread solve anything in the end? Or did everyside of the agrument still rest at their same spot were they started a bajillion letters before?

Great.

Then... can we please stop talking about these non-issues which have 0% impact in the real life anyway and stop filling the forums with clutter.
People are more concerned to talk about everything non-game related than actually talk about or play games :/

Skull Bearer

Mar 6, 2012
I love that after days of hearing you all yammering how people getting death threats should grow a thicker skin, the moment someone writes an article saying that the gamers involved in criminal behaviour are ACTUALLY CRIMINALS, you all collectively shit your nappies and wave them around while throwing a tantrum.