Dexter's Laboratory was the greatest modern kid's cartoon ever made.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Its a love letter to all things nerdy, this show did everything and it was awesome.

It had video games, it had board games,, it had toys, it had DnD, it had mysteries and tension, it had space adventures, it had aliens, it had super heroes, it had Robots, it had Kaiju monsters, so many references to so many nerdy things, it had action, it had comedy, the characters were memorable heck Dee Dee and Dexter's Antics could be seen as the Modern Tom and Jerry, the animation, the colors, the art style, it was just the perfect American Cartoon show I could have ever watched as a boy.

It was Cartoon Network's first original Cartoon and already it was thier Magnum Opus to my eyes.

I am having a very hard time covering my nostalgia boner right now, I was just watching some clips of this show and everything about it was just right for me. So many great episodes, and they capped off perfectly with Last But Not Beast and Ego Trip:

This show alone is why I think Modern Cartoons these days sucks now. I miss you so much Dexter. If only you weren't bismerched by the last season that wasn't helmed by Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, and Paul Ruddish. We don't acknowledge Seasons 3 and 4 from here on out.

In the end, this show was just FUN!!!

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
I can think of at least 20 shows that shit on Dexter(and I like Dexter)
Spectacular Spiderman
Amazing world of gumball
Regular Show
We Bare bears
Dan vs
Invader Zim
Batman Brave and the bold
Ed edd Eddy
Gravity Falls
Adventure Time
OK KO
Samurai Jack
Star vs
Motorcity
Megas XLR
Kim Possible
Over the garden wall
Kaijudo
Gi Renegades
Avengers Earth Mightest Heroes
Symbionic Titan
Courage the cowardly dog
Johnny Bravo season 2-3
Teen Titans
Young Justice
All of Bruce Timm's shows

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Oh yeah, it's a great show for nerds as long as nerds are okay with being the butt of the joke in nearly every episode.

Didn't age well in my eyes.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Courage the Cowardly Dog's existence means you're entire argument is pointless.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
PapaGreg096 said:
Spectacular Spiderman
Amazing world of gumball
Regular Show
We Bare bears
Dan vs
Invader Zim
Ed edd Eddy
Gravity Falls
Adventure Time
OK KO
Samurai Jack
Star vs
Motorcity
Megas XLR
Kim Possible
Over the garden wall
Kaijudo
Gi Renegades
Symbionic Titan
Courage the cowardly dog
Johnny Bravo season 2-3
Teen Titans
Young Justice
'Cracks Knuckles'

90s one was a classic, and the Art Style was too cartoony for Spiderman.
Completely different thing compared to Dexter.
All style and and flash.
Could have been better as an Adult Swim show
Boring
Haven't watched it
I'd say Zim is an even darker and edgier Dexter's Lab
A mockery of Batman
Ed,Edd, n Eddy was up there to a close second
Gravity Falls had a dissapointing end from what I heard? But I felt the art style could have been better. I mean it looked like if Butch Hartmen made a cartoon for Nick Jr.
Over-fuckin-rated show
OK-KO is too new and yet unproven
Samurai Jack had the dissapointing Season 5 though...
Star vs is ok but I would not say it topples Dexter's Lab
Have not heard of Motorcity
This fuckin show died a death too soon.
Kim Possible was good, and should have ended at So The Drama
I tried watching it, but couldn't finish it. I could not stand the little boy charcater.
Never heard of Kaijudo
For a show based on a franchise that is meant to sell toys, GI Renegades looks like a visual bore, especially the cast of characters
Nothing will ever topple the DCAU's Justice League, nothing.
I am hesitant for bringing back Sym-Bionic Titan after how dissapointing Samurai Jack's return was.
Courage had moments that made me feel, even if it was a bit too manipulative.
I haven't seen Jonny Bravo in ages.
Teen Titans reached its climax with the Raven centric season, the Legion of Doom season pales in comparison.
Haven't seen enough of Young Justice but my early impressions is that I found it rather mediocre compared to what came before.
Brucy boy needs to get back into the game after screwing up the Killing Joke, The Comic felt more cinematic than that movie's animation.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Spectacular Spiderman
Amazing world of gumball
Regular Show
We Bare bears
Dan vs
Invader Zim
Ed edd Eddy
Gravity Falls
Adventure Time
OK KO
Samurai Jack
Star vs
Motorcity
Megas XLR
Kim Possible
Over the garden wall
Kaijudo
Gi Renegades
Symbionic Titan
Courage the cowardly dog
Johnny Bravo season 2-3
Teen Titans
Young Justice
'Cracks Knuckles'

90s one was a classic, and the Art Style was too cartoony for Spiderman.
Completely different thing compared to Dexter.
All style and and flash.
Could have been better as an Adult Swim show
Boring
Haven't watched it
I'd say Zim is an even darker and edgier Dexter's Lab
A mockery of Batman
Ed,Edd, n Eddy was up there to a close second
Gravity Falls had a dissapointing end from what I heard? But I felt the art style could have been better. I mean it looked like if Butch Hartmen made a cartoon for Nick Jr.
Over-fuckin-rated show
OK-KO is too new and yet unproven
Samurai Jack had the dissapointing Season 5 though...
Star vs is ok but I would not say it topples Dexter's Lab
Have not heard of Motorcity
This fuckin show died a death too soon.
Kim Possible was good, and should have ended at So The Drama
I tried watching it, but couldn't finish it. I could not stand the little boy charcater.
Never heard of Kaijudo
For a show based on a franchise that is meant to sell toys, GI Renegades looks like a visual bore, especially the cast of characters
Nothing will ever topple the DCAU's Justice League, nothing.
I am hesitant for bringing back Sym-Bionic Titan after how dissapointing Samurai Jack's return was.
Courage had moments that made me feel, even if it was a bit too manipulative.
I haven't seen Jonny Bravo in ages.
Teen Titans reached its climax with the Raven centric season, the Legion of Doom season pales in comparison.
Haven't seen enough of Young Justice but my early impressions is that I found it rather mediocre compared to what came before.
Brucy boy needs to get back into the game after screwing up the Killing Joke, The Comic felt more cinematic than that movie's animation.
90s show aged horribly and the animation was horrid
Still a western cartoon
Still a good show.
Please AWOG has more substance in one episode than Dexter has in its season
Still pretty funny
Thats your fault
Your point, its still good
No its not
Well at least we can agree Ed edd Eddy is good
Dexter's lab looks more like a Butch Hartman cartoon
Still better than Dexter's lab
So far its better than Dexter Lab and has more nerd references.
And it had 4 great seasons
I say it does
You need to expand your horizons mate.
We can agree on that
Eh
He wasn't that bad
Watch it
Watch it
But still made you feel
rewatch it
Season 5 was weak but still good
Finish it
We can agree on that.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dexter's Lab was okay but it wasn't even close to being my favorite. I preferred Recess and The Weekenders.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I remember having a much higher appreciation for The Pirates of Dark Waters, which would probably suck on re-watching now but was awesome for 5 year old me.

More pertinently, I've watch a crap load of cartoons and animated shows lately, due to the presence of kids in my household, and I can safely say that Dexter is garbage-tier compared to some of the new fare coming out. I'm personally very partial to the Octonauts [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR_Ui_3Iz2o] as far as animated shows go. It is very charming, the Swedish voice actor for Kwazii is hilarious and you learn quite a lot about aquatic animals in the process of watching.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
If Dexters Laboratory was so good why arent there as many memes for it as there are for Fairly Odd Parents?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gethsemani said:
I remember having a much higher appreciation for The Pirates of Dark Waters, which would probably suck on re-watching now but was awesome for 5 year old me.

More pertinently, I've watch a crap load of cartoons and animated shows lately, due to the presence of kids in my household, and I can safely say that Dexter is garbage-tier compared to some of the new fare coming out. I'm personally very partial to the Octonauts [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR_Ui_3Iz2o] as far as animated shows go. It is very charming, the Swedish voice actor for Kwazii is hilarious and you learn quite a lot about aquatic animals in the process of watching.
Pirates of the Dark Waters? (And THAT'S the name of that cartoon? I haven't seen that one since forever.)

Octonauts?

Sea/Ocean based shows? Are you a sailor? Or a guy fond of being in the sea?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Pirates of the Dark Waters? (And THAT'S the name of that cartoon? I haven't seen that one since forever.)

Octonauts?

Nah, but I grew up sailing and have a deep fascination for the sea (get it, because the ocean is deep har har). I also like Chuck and Friends, a show that has an unusual amount of heart for a show that was made by Hasbro solely to peddle toys.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gethsemani said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Octonauts?

Nah, but I grew up sailing and have a deep fascination for the sea (get it, because the ocean is deep har har). I also like Chuck and Friends, a show that has an unusual amount of heart for a show that was made by Hasbro solely to peddle toys.
Well Dexter's Lab also covered Pirates and Sea based stories:

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
To be fair, the Canadians upped the Ante by pretty much having all that good stuff in Atomic Betty, though the parents weren't as good as Dexter's. If they say... took the parents from MOT and put them into Betty's storylines, then yeah, it'd probably top Dexter.

Also how has the Powerpuff Girls NOT been mentioned? It's basically Dexter on steroids, scaled up for a whole team.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Squilookle said:
To be fair, the Canadians upped the Ante by pretty much having all that good stuff in Atomic Betty, though the parents weren't as good as Dexter's. If they say... took the parents from MOT and put them into Betty's storylines, then yeah, it'd probably top Dexter.

Also how has the Powerpuff Girls NOT been mentioned? It's basically Dexter on steroids, scaled up for a whole team.
1. I thought Canadians were notorious for having the worst cartoons ever according to the likes of Mr.Enter and RebelTaxi/Pan-Pizza, Johnny Test being the most prominant example.

2. Because the Reboot I guess, I ackwoledge it with my above image.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Dexter's Laboratory was really great... until the mediocre as hell third and fourth seasons.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If you think it's the best show of all time that's your opinion, but I disagree. Don't get me wrong, I like Dexter's Laboratory, but out of all the 90's cartoons, I think it's one of the ones that age the worse. It doesn't help that the show goes out of its way to screw over Dexter 95% of the time. And I just couldn't stand Dee Dee. I always wanted to go in there and hit her with something really heavy. Now granted, Dexter wasn't the only 90 show to do this, but he was the one to do it often enough at the time before other shows came in, like CatDog and Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

The show got worse doing its third and fourth season, because like before, Cartoon Network made the same mistake of of hiring writers that had no idea what they were doing with the show. And with the original writers gone, the show was bound to fail. See Johnny Bravo or Powerpuff Girls for example. To me, the only shows on CN to have a consistently good series overall with little to no dropping quality was Courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow and Chicken, Samurai Jack, Megas XLR, and Kids Next Door.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Its a love letter to all things nerdy, this show did everything and it was awesome.

It had video games, it had board games,, it had toys, it had DnD, it had mysteries and tension, it had space adventures, it had aliens, it had super heroes, it had Robots, it had Kaiju monsters, so many references to so many nerdy things, it had action, it had comedy, the characters were memorable heck Dee Dee and Dexter's Antics could be seen as the Modern Tom and Jerry, the animation, the colors, the art style, it was just the perfect American Cartoon show I could have ever watched as a boy.

It was Cartoon Network's first original Cartoon and already it was thier Magnum Opus to my eyes.

I am having a very hard time covering my nostalgia boner right now, I was just watching some clips of this show and everything about it was just right for me. So many great episodes, and they capped off perfectly with Last But Not Beast and Ego Trip:

This show alone is why I think Modern Cartoons these days sucks now. I miss you so much Dexter. If only you weren't bismerched by the last season that wasn't helmed by Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, and Paul Ruddish. We don't acknowledge Seasons 3 and 4 from here on out.

In the end, this show was just FUN!!!

Ironically I just rewatched Ego Trip last week in terms of a nostalgia trip and holy shit its hilarious.

I wouldn't call Dexter's Lab a Magnum Opus because I can point out some flaws and its later seasons that came out after Ego Trip was pretty lackluster.

As much as I love this series a lot, I hold more heart to many of Cartoon Network's other TV shows even if I love this show. Also Mandark's laugh is perfect