Diablo 3 "Always Online" Requirement Helps Fight Hackers, Says Blizzard

Dott

Oct 27, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"Some people don't like fantasy games, so should we have not made Diablo a fantasy game, because some people don't like that? Some people don't like barbarians. Should we not have put a barbarian in the game because some people don't like it?"
Some people don't like strawmen arguments. Should we not have used a strawman argument?

You know what people really enjoy about Diablo, and other games? Choice and ease of use.

You know what you're denying them? Choice and ease of use.

Do you actually see the real world any more, Mr. Wilson? Or just "THE BEST POSSIBLE WORLD".

And when everyone else reaches level umpty-ump, the hackers and cheaters and pirates will have cracked your Always On, and be hacking, cheating and pirating away on the end-bosses as much as they want.

So even in your perfect world, there's a rotten stinking corpse lying, beaten up, in the alley.

You're officially the new spokesman of everything, everyone and their grandmothers.

Mythrignoc

Oct 17, 2009
So now blizzard is dipping their hands into our game and telling us that "We're not playing it right if we're playing it offline?" Wonderful!

Well, all I can say is this. It's not a matter of upsetting a small portion of diablo 3 fans anymore, blizzard. It's a matter of upsetting damn near all of them.

Taking away modding capabilities, something that made diablo 2 arguably so much longer lasting than it would have been on it's own (seriously, I STILL play the game with nezeramontias or median every now and then), taking away the basic freedom of owning and doing what you damn well want with your own game, AND having the delusion that not only do you think this is a perfectly acceptable idea but you know what's best for the player?

I used to have respect for blizzard, it's flushing itself down the crapper now though.

reckoner09

Aug 21, 2011
I really don't see the point in this. As many others have already said surely it's as simple as seperating single player (offline) and online play completely so offline characters can't be used online and vice versa.

As someone who travels 6 months of the year, often to places with little or no internet connection, Blizzard have totally removed any possibility of me buying the game.

I'm not usally one to get annoyed about stuff like this but I've been looking forward to firing Diablo 3 up on the alienware while I'm away for so long. It's really, really frustrating.

jobu59749

Aug 3, 2009
Findlebob said:
So does this mean no mods?
Is that a serious question? When they say no hacking, that usually infers that mods are out...since mods tend to be a form of hacking.

Dott

Oct 27, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Don't do that to me, I stammer terribly away from a keyboard. ;)
Not to worry, we'll get you one of those text-to-voice-things Stephen Hawking has.

... Whatever it's called.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
it does help fight hackers and pirates etc etc but it also pretty much tells the consumer "your our ***** and you will never not be our ***** so bend over"

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Client server 101 dude, don't trust the client, all logic is on the server. Poof, instant security. Even with full access to the server code if it is programmed correctly there is NOTHING a client can do that can compromise it.
That's actually what he is saying. o_O

That offline mode is not possible without them copying some server data to client machine. You know, like the character data. Thus they decided to not copy such data to client ever.

Honestly people ... (going general now, no longer a direct reply)

In the end it's Blizzard's decision. Don't pretend they don't know what they are doing.

They decided to use server-client model for D3, storing a lot of data remotely. They do not want to cache the data locally for Offline Mode, due to various reasons.

Piracy is one, no denying that. But RMT and security is a VERY good reason as well.

But whatever people claim here: It is NOT ok to steal a copy of any game, just because you don't like its DRM. Nope. You are ONLY entitled to protest by not playing. Not by stealing it and feeling righteous about it. It just makes you look like you have a serious case of entitlement disease combined with being cheap.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Everything that blizzard has done with Diablo 3, I like. I just don't know why people get so mad at blizzard for releasing what looks to be a very good, high quality game. The always-on online connection will only enhance the experience. It's obviously not DRM, it's just to protect against hackers and allow seamless co-operative play. And the added functionality from the Real money auction house is gonna be great.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Mythrignoc said:
So now blizzard is dipping their hands into our game and telling us that "We're not playing it right if we're playing it offline?" Wonderful!
Wait ... OUR game? Seriously?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"Some people don't like fantasy games, so should we have not made Diablo a fantasy game, because some people don't like that? Some people don't like barbarians. Should we not have put a barbarian in the game because some people don't like it?"
Oh go eat a .. you know what. This isn't like people complaining that Sonic's eyes are green. This is Blizzard giving a big middle finger to people who travel, people who are over seas, people who are in schools/dorms with crap internet, and so on.

There's absolutely no reason to not create an online mode and an offline mode, just don't let people import their offline characters to online play. Hell MINECRAFT figured this out. I can't hop on a server and drag an inventory full of diamonds I built up in single player along with me.

This is greed, pure and simple. If everyone is forced to be online, they maximize control and maximize the odds that people will use the RMT services and Blizzard/Activision gets their cut.

This will not stop hacking. Yeah, it might reduce the amount of item duplication, but people WILL find ways to pirate the game, will find a way to get duplicated items into it, and will find a way to get those pirated, hacked, duplicated items and accounts into the online game. Even on the extremely slim chance this does stop all piracy and item duplication, the hackers will just use the same tricks they do on WoW to get people's account info, strip their stuff and sell it off.

Another great victory in the war against consumers. The pirates are busy drinking ale, banging wenches, and laughing at you while they play your game for free.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Actual reason: Stops people hacking the game and finding ways to mess up Activision Blizzard's new money making scheme.

Just saying! It's obviously a factor.

Joe Keeffe

Jul 29, 2011
been waiting for Diablo 3 for so long i seriously doubt its even worth getting... escpecially if theres no offline or single player, get a lot of "higher level" twats online sending adverts, dueling, wrecking you're game... guessing you'll have to extra to go online? Well, just call it "World of Warcraft 2"...

If they're taking single player/offline off, I'd expect more characters to choose from-- only 5 when I last checked 7-9 would be great-- even if added later after its released...

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
Why does it feel like he doesn't know completely what he's talking about. Also, there is no "right" way, might as well say something like only speccing on offense is the right way.

Who are they to decide what is the right way? Also, there's no need for a server to be emulated on the client, that's bull feces. Also, if they are so fricken' afraid of cheaters and duplicating then why don't they make offline mode premanently offline? Want to go online only? Start a new character.

They are way too binary in this case, real shmucks really. My pre-order possibility went from 80% to 0% when they announced that crap.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Actual reason: Stops people hacking the game and finding ways to mess up Activision Blizzard's new money making scheme.

Just saying! It's obviously the factor.
I fixed that for ya.

And I give it 6 months, tops, before people's online funding accounts suddenly start showing up empty cause some North Korean hackers got into the database and cleaned them out. Of course, Blizzard wont be liable for any theft or fraud that occurs because of their RMT system because it is done through a third party who was probably the lowest bidder for the job, and they'll have a very carefully worded EULA to protect them.