Diablo 3 Beta Key Give Away

PsionicFox

Nov 8, 2006
s0osleepie said:
The keys are sent out to the winners around 17:00 EST each day of the contest.
I think the confusion is coming from the fact that the competition page states that the winners will be announced on the website. I figure most people assume each day's winners will be announced on that day.

That might help prevent having people constantly asked.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I have just won one.

I was originally not going to get the game due to the deal-breaking issues of having to be always on-line and my flat having crap internet.

I guess I'm going to shell out for a new router earlier than expected.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Sean Knowles said:
I don't know if this was addressed, and I'm sorry to spoil an answer here (which real fans will already know this one anyway); however, the first accepted currency in Diablo 2 was not in fact the SoJ. It was widely accepted for Perfect Gems, more specifically the Perfect Skull to be a primary source of currency thanks to the magic that was the Horadric Cube. Just my two cents, but I feel that either the question should be more specific as to WHEN the currency was made standard, or maybe even the item TYPE used for currency. Just wanted to put that out there. LONG LIVE DIABLO!
We were talking about this question a bit today. In my experience, perfect skulls/diamonds were used for trade, but very very rarely for high end items - as they would still take an unreasonable quantity versus just a few SoJ's. I've also never seen a farmer enter a game and beg for perfects, though I could fairly reliably leave a public game open for 20 minutes and have someone join and repeatedly demand "GIEV SoJs or PK".

Stone of Jordan rings in my experience were almost exclusively known as a trade currency item, and became rather famous for it, hence the "widespread adoption" qualifier. Sorry for any confusion, hopefully the way the quiz system lets you know when the answer is right prevented having to guess too many times. :)

Edit: I only ever had one, and I found it myself!

|.|HaL

Apr 12, 2008
Kross said:
Sean Knowles said:
I don't know if this was addressed, and I'm sorry to spoil an answer here (which real fans will already know this one anyway); however, the first accepted currency in Diablo 2 was not in fact the SoJ. It was widely accepted for Perfect Gems, more specifically the Perfect Skull to be a primary source of currency thanks to the magic that was the Horadric Cube. Just my two cents, but I feel that either the question should be more specific as to WHEN the currency was made standard, or maybe even the item TYPE used for currency. Just wanted to put that out there. LONG LIVE DIABLO!
We were talking about this question a bit today. In my experience, perfect skulls/diamonds were used for trade, but very very rarely for high end items - as they would still take an unreasonable quantity versus just a few SoJ's. I've also never seen a farmer enter a game and beg for perfects, though I could fairly reliably leave a public game open for 20 minutes and have someone join and repeatedly demand "GIEV SoJs or PK".

Stone of Jordan rings in my experience were almost exclusively known as a trade currency item, and became rather famous for it, hence the "widespread adoption" qualifier. Sorry for any confusion, hopefully the way the quiz system lets you know when the answer is right prevented having to guess too many times. :)

Edit: I only ever had one, and I found it myself!
If you take into account that PGems' value only really rose as a mass currency in the expansion due to crafting and the addition of charms (that can be re-rolled), then I can see why this question has the answer it does. However it's still misleading because
a: Gold was never really considered a currency in D2 anyway
b: The only reason the "correct" answer can be considered a currency is that off-ladder or pre-expansion, said item was rampantly "duped" and traded in mass.
A more correct answer would have been "items in general" but the answer they chose is fair enough I guess for those who have a less in depth knowledge of the game.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
My fingers are crossed so hard I might snap them.... I really really want one of those keys.

praus

Jun 21, 2010
bakan said:
Shadowsetzer said:
Triaed said:
Participating in this contest requires me to deactivate secure browsing in Facebook and unencrypt my personal data. Why the Escapist chooses Facebook interaction is beyond me.

Thanks but no thanks
Actually, you can enter without even having a Facebook account.... read the article again.
Though they give away more keys via Facebook, which is kinda stupid, imho.
I, for one will never start using Facebook.
Yeah I was pissed at first cause I thought you had to have a Facebook account. Was glad when I realized you could enter on the site (though presumably you have much less of a chance to win do the reduced amount of keys available to people who enter only on the site).

SeiichiSin

Dec 11, 2009
I feel like I am left out on all this. I never played Diablo 2. Although I did watch someone play for about 2 hours back when I went over to a friends house for some sort of party. Lacking a mobile computer and a copy of the game, I couldn't come over and play with them so I just watched.

fatmanspicnic

Mar 3, 2012
I didn't have any problems submitting the form with my answers; I did have a couple of issues with the wording of the questions + allowed answers though:

1) The question on the currency. I'm almost certain that the item in question was prefixed with 'The' but the form would not accept it as part of the answer which mislead me at first.

2) The original name of the Skeleton King -> the answer wouldn't accept 'King' yet in Diablo 1 he was still a king right? The form would not accept 'King' as part of the answer which was also misleading.

Other than that it seemed to work just fine.

PsionicFox

Nov 8, 2006
Why is it an issue? There's a 'check' button. It'd take you three seconds to check your answer and correct it.

joss87

Mar 3, 2012
have they anounced that they have sendt out any keys?
havent seen any posts on facebook about it atleast

Nolimitzor

Mar 4, 2012
Nope they didn't i also am wondering since beta keys giveaway they should give everyday but we never can know if they even give keys away or not. Kinda wierd also. And i see here is ALOT of less people talking about it then on other contests so should be alot less of us here and more chance to win key but still got nothing. Hope we get answer from admin.

Rucknar

Man of few words.
Jun 6, 2008
Well that'll teach me for not checking the escapist in over a week, missed the Publishers Club entries, hopefully I'll get one of these!

Entropy-Rising

Jun 29, 2011
I can verify they are giving away keys got a PM from the Business Development Manager & Promotions Manager; s0osleepie, with one.

Problem is that when i went to enter it Blizzard gives an error message saying it had already been claimed.

:(

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
El Luck said:
What exactly are beta bucks?
Fake money to act as real money for the auction house.
It's like saying you have $50, but really, it's completely worthless and until patch 13, it was the only means of using the auction house.

Now they have a game-gold AH and I think more people use that. I don't even look at the beta-bucks items.

Lejsen

Mar 2, 2011
Came on to the site today and saw that i had a new pm waiting for me! I was so excited and happy!

Then it turned out to be a new unskippable badge.. :(

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I wonder how many people made accounts or multiple accounts just for this.

But hey more add money for the escapist so that's all good.