Diablo 3 Review

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I'm just curious, how long does it take to play through the game the first time on normal? Because I keep hearing it only took 6 or 7 hours to complete. Diablo 2 took at least twice that long to finish.

I wouldn't even have a problem with online only thing if the game was cheaper. They are basically charging full retail price for an online multiplayer only PC game. Unless Blizzard is going to do special in game events where you can fight unique bosses, go to special areas, and get special loot similar to Monster Hunter then I just can't see a multiplayer only game being worth 60 dollars.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Don't know if its different for other difficulties, but there is literally no reason to pick up non blue items as each of the normal things only sell for 2-5 gold that I have noticed. Everything else you can find/craft if your blacksmith is leveled high enough.
You know, Torchlight and Torchlight 2 both get around this problem rather nicely; at certain levels Green stuff can be just as good if not better then blue stuff. Also the inventory is split into four different sections; one for items, one for consumables, one for fish and one for magic. And your pet has exactly the same inventory options as you effectively doubling your capacity.

Your pet can also run back to town for you to quickly sell items making it worthwhile to sell a whole bunch of regular stuff and helping you not have to keep dropping shit half way through a run.
Diablo 3 solves it by having an instant teleport back to town and you can sell your stuff that you don't need, but its just pointless to do so because monsters drop more gold than what the items are worth and blue items are for the most part always much better with the additional stats they give. Torchlight also does a good job of taking care of inventory clutter. Can't wait for the second one to come out.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
CD-R said:
I'm just curious, how long does it take to play through the game the first time on normal? Because I keep hearing it only took 6 or 7 hours to complete. Diablo 2 took at least twice that long to finish.
it took me around 18 hours. it really depends if you are trying to follow the story and check the extra stuff. some people rush it, so doing it in that time frame is not that hard. same with D2.

i think the game is great, but there are some flaws, although minor IMO.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Diablo 3 solves it by having an instant teleport back to town and you can sell your stuff that you don't need, but its just pointless to do so because monsters drop more gold than what the items are worth and blue items are for the most part always much better with the additional stats they give. Torchlight also does a good job of taking care of inventory clutter. Can't wait for the second one to come out.
You mean like Torchlight's town portal scrolls? XD
"Your pet has departed"

"Your pet has returned" :p
You mean like the first TWO diablo game's town portal scrolls? I'm having a lot of fun with D3 that's for sure. Demon Hunter all the way.

praus

Jun 21, 2010
Dresos said:
If always on DRM wasn't a dealbreaker for me the real money AH was.

Anyway it looks good it really does, but there are more games out there and I think I'll just skip this one.
Why would a real money auction house at all figure into playing the game? It's a totally optional part of the game. There is also an in-game gold auction house as well. No one is forced to use the real money one.

praus

Jun 21, 2010
CD-R said:

I wouldn't even have a problem with online only thing if the game was cheaper. They are basically charging full retail price for an online multiplayer only PC game. Unless Blizzard is going to do special in game events where you can fight unique bosses, go to special areas, and get special loot similar to Monster Hunter then I just can't see a multiplayer only game being worth 60 dollars.
It's not multiplayer only. You can totally play it in solo mode, it's just always connected.

As far as how long it takes to play, I've been playing of much longer then 6-7 hours and I'm not done. Perhaps that's some sort of speed run, which doesn't sound fun.

praus

Jun 21, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
EcksTeaSea said:
You mean like Torchlight's town portal scrolls? XD

Well i think the most important thing about the pet system is it allows you to quickly unclutter your inventory without having to go back to town and take the time to do so over and over and over again. It keeps you in the flow of the game and is just all around quicker then trawling back to town. It also means you can carry a heck of a lot more. Diablo 3 took 12 years just to be a bit bland and safe. Torchlight 2 has only taken 3 years and will cost a fraction of the price, £15. Diablo III costs £40. That 260% more. Is it 260% better? I think unlikely.

"Your pet has departed"

"Your pet has returned" :p
The game play of Diablo 3 doesn't feel bland or safe to me, it feels fun and interesting. I think people under estimate how difficult that sort of thing can be to achieve.

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
You know, I don't mind the idea of an auction house and, initially, I wasn't upset about the internet connection shit. I mean, when I played Diablo 2 I was always online and the mind boggling amount of spam you get on it, even today, from bots trying to sell you loot for real cash is more then enough justification for an AH. If we're talking about the fact that its offline right now then it wouldn't be a deal breaker on its own, the problem comes from it being hard to impossible to log in for a great deal of people.

And then there are the game destroying bugs and incompatibilities. I bought it on opening day and I still haven't played it because when I can log in everything stutters and missing polygons turn everything to Swiss cheese. My system is closer to the bottom on the minimum system requirements for the game but it's well within the parameters that they said I would be able to play it with. I'm sorry, but this is not how I expect a game running at minimum requirements to look and act. I was expecting nothing fancy but at least playable, this is completely unplayable and the fact that I'm still waiting from Blizzard's support staff about what I could do to fix it is unacceptable and makes me seriously regret paying for the game.

I can stand a shitty ending to a game. I can even accept when I buy a game and find that it's a bad experience. Sitting here, waiting for 3 days hoping I can get some good news that I can play the game I installed on my computer three days ago is unacceptable.

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
praus said:
The game play of Diablo 3 doesn't feel bland or safe to me, it feels fun and interesting. I think people under estimate how difficult that sort of thing can be to achieve.
Think you could use some explanation there my friend. Pretty much that conversation is going "I have an opinion!" "I have one too!"

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Precisely. It is a good game, but it brings nothing new to the genre. I'm enjoying it, but I doubt I'll play it for much longer after I've completed it up to nightmare.

I'm far more excited about Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
About half way through the video I was convinced... even if D3 didn't require internet just for single player, I wouldn't want it anyway.

Now I know why it's not been cracked yet. It just ain't worth the trouble.

The first remains the best.

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
CD-R said:

There are challenge achievements for beating each act in under an hour. However, it took me about 16-18 hours to reach [NameRedacted] and then another hour to kill [Redacted] because my Daemon Hunter kept getting cheap shot chained.