Diablo 3 WILL HAVE offline, but is "discouraged".

snow

Jan 14, 2010
They discourage it because they want people to use their little marketplace so they can make some money... Sorry Blizz, you've done enough to kill the hype for me. Not even getting the game for single player.

HeallunRumblebelly

Aug 3, 2011
dogstile said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
I dont really see why you cant play online with the same character as offline, like in borderlands, or even an fps like rainbow six vegas 2
But at least their giving people this option
Borderlands kind of has this massive problem of hacked guns getting in.
Borderlands doesn't separate online / offline chars, borderlands doesn't host dedicated servers, and borderlands truly doesn't give a shit :p

That said, getting the best guns in BL wasn't terribly difficult--exploiting crawmerax was just dull though :p

SinorKirby

May 1, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
I dont really see why you cant play online with the same character as offline, like in borderlands, or even an fps like rainbow six vegas 2
But at least their giving people this option
You could do this in Diablo II, it was called Open Battle.net. It allowed for outside characters to be used in online play and was hidden away under "Other Multiplayer" along with LAN play. I seriously don't understand why they can't just copy Diablo II and have two separate multiplayer modes, one which allows for offline characters and another which doesn't.

JaysonM

Sep 29, 2010
Good on you Blizzard, I respect this decision so much. I won't even use the offline mode, but I am incredibly happy that you responded to the negative feedback. I only pray that people will make an online account and make the online experience incredibly joyful.

Coldie

Oct 13, 2009
TheKasp said:
On Topic: Why is this a surprise? SC2 has also an offline play function but everyone is playing the SP online. Why should it be different with D3? The DRM is basically the same.
The online[-once-a-month] thing is the DRM for SC2. There is no such DRM in D3. It'll probably have just the Warden for DRM, like the other games.

There is no offline play in D3 because half the game (monster randomization, dungeon randomization, item drops, the outcomes of combat, among others) exists only on Blizzard's servers. Diablo 3 works just like World of Warcraft and I don't see anyone fussing about that being online only.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
isnosche said:
Seriously, who got Diablo 2 for the single player ? Seriously
Meh, I did.

...although I did end up playing online after a while.

JaysonM said:
Good on you Blizzard, I respect this decision so much. I won't even use the offline mode, but I am incredibly happy that you responded to the negative feedback. I only pray that people will make an online account and make the online experience incredibly joyful.
I'm guessing you didn't read all the posts;

That particular post was made before they announced D3 will be online only.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
yaaaaaaaaaaaa I am still deffinatly not buying it. I am unconvinced it wont be a pile of poo that has raving fanboys all over it. They added offline sure but you can tell there just adding it so sales wont drop and even there discouraging it meaning there going to make its a terrible experiance or huge hastle to play the game. For me personally I would just skip that hastle say no thanks n go play saints 3 or arkham city

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
isnosche said:
I bought the game in 2000. I started playing the game on Battle.net in 2007. I might return to single player if I can't have a character that uses minions to stay in a game when the Travincal Council vomits up too many Hydras or Act 5 Succubi simultaneously spam their curses and kick me out of my game.

Needing a constantly stable connection is also a pain. Not everyone has such a luxury.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
People really thought there offline characters would be usable online back when d2 was new? ._.

Glad to hear the people that buy it at least get offline, now if they just change there position on mods, RMAH and the simple skill trees[footnote]Wishful thinker[/footnote]

isnosche said:
I and several of my friends did.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
As far as I can see, doesn't that quotation effectively say:
"There was a problem with the way sp/mp was set up in Diablo 2. Instead of solving that problem, we've introduced an unpopular measure to try and ensure it comes up less regularly, even though we acknowledge that it will still come up."

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Dexter111 said:
It doesn't have Offline, read the thread, that's a misleading response from some Community Coordinator or whatever from about 1 year ago and has no bearing on the recent Announcements.
Would be great if the OP could rename his thread/clarify...
Ah bugger, well thanks for clearing that up <.<

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Sod the online experience, I play computer games for me time and if I chat with friends I, horror of horrors, go and meet them at the pub/beach/cinema/house etc and I have no interest playing online with strangers. When I play a game I don't want the hassle of going online, signing in to an account then playing single player and hope that nothing goes wrong with my internet connection at a critical moment like say ohhh shiny loot...SNKT...Connection Lost...well bugger. I just about accept steam but that's because I can play the games offline and they do have some pretty decent deals every so often. If I want an always online experience I'll go back to playing WoW.