Diablo II Dev: Diablo III Was Originally an MMO

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Diablo 3 pretty much is an MMO, except you can only play with 4 players at a time. It has universal chat channels and an auction house just like most MMOs.
I wouldn't exactly call four player co-op massive multiplay.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Allot of disappoints Diablo fans are purchasing Torchlight to soothe the pain. With a little bit of luck the game becomes a massive success and allows them to take the Diablo genre into the future.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Vault101 said:
.....[i/]originally?[/i]

fucking MMO's.....

what? I don't like them
I can totally relate. Something makes me think that in ten to twenty years from now, speaking about a game with a single-player campaign will net you puzzled stares, like trying to explain string theory to a bunch of five year-olds.

"Sin-gle...Pla-yer? Such an odd name for a peculiar concept! Why anyone would want to skip their daily recommended dose of misanthropy and sheer human stupidity is beyond my ken! Why, the FDA has proven that regular exposures to Xbox Live keeps our serotonin levels at an optimal threshold. Surely these under-stimulated masses must have regressed to something approaching simian levels of sophistication.

*scoffs* Playing alone... One may very well call it masturbation!"

Yeah, I'm kinda pessimistic. :)

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Well I'm not surprised about any of this, it just makes me more excited for Torchlight 2. And Path of Exile. And Grim Dawn.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Hammeroj said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Hammeroj said:
It's cluttered with fluff stats [http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7522/gameoftheyearloot.png] and is random [http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9083/itemprogressiongoty.jpg] beyond any sort of reason and the vast majority of the "rare" or "legendary" items you get are just completely useless.
Way to generate your own item to support your own weak argument (which can be applied to D2 and Torchlight just as much as D3). Items are very specific about what they can and cannot get, and you cannot get a Ceremonial Knife with Demon Hunter-only stats on it unless you use an out-of-game item generator to make silly items for the lulz (kinda like how someone tried getting a rise out of people by making items with +400% attack speed and posting about it on the forums with "proof" the same way you have "proof" of a Witch Doctor knife with Demon Hunter stats).

As for random stats being "random beyond any sort of reason", explain to me how this wasn't in D2 or Torchlight (and won't be in TL2), and thus makes D3 the worse game. Go ahead, I've got all night.
Well, first off, neither of the items are actually fake. I suppose the former one could be, but the latter I made myself because I was amazed at the horrific quality of junk I kept finding.I don't know why anybody would fake the first one, considering all you have to do is go to D3DB [http://d3db.com/item/i/anessazi-edge#affix] and check out the affixes that class specific items, such as this ceremonial knife, have.

Oh, look.
Yeah, I did look; and according to D3DB weapons can have defensive stats on them. They can't. All it does is list every possible affix that any item can have on it, then lets you apply the affix to said weapon. On the one hand, it can be useful to plan-out your ideal weapon if you know what affixes can be on it; though on the other it lets you create impossible items to try and "prove" your point about item drops being ****ed, kinda like you admitted to doing.

I don't need to "explain" my argument in relation to D2 or Torchlight, because it's not really dependent on them. I'm saying that it's frustrating and transparent design, seeing the vast majority of magic items be completely useless vendor trash, and it's designed like that specifically because of the AH, as the sexy Bashiok will explain for you in a second:
Except that you talked about getting frustrated with D3's shallow loot system in the same post that you talked about deciding to preorder Torchlight 2. I have news for you, 90% of the loot you find in Torchlight is going to be worthless vendor trash. In fact, you're going to wish that Torchlight has a way to trade with players (maybe it will, since it'll be multiplayer this time), because you're going to get that one spectacular item... for another class. Then what? Then it's time to hope and pray that you can find someone who wants to buy it off of you, then you have to hope that you can find someone who has a piece of gear that you can buy with the money from the gear you sold. Or you can just post to and buy from the AH.

As for Bashiok saying that the AH is a factor in item drops, it's just that: A factor. As-in one of many. As-in the game isn't "designed like that specifically because of [it]". All he's saying is that they're monitoring how much any given item is getting saturated into the economy and tweaking item drops to keep things from getting out of hand. If the absolute best Wizard helmet is selling for nickels and dimes, then there's obviously a problem with it dropping too often; AH or not.

Another mitigating factor as far as D2 is concerned, if I accepted your proposition for the sake of argument, is that skills mostly have an inherent power to them. Not everything is based directly on weapon damage, in fact, very little is, so a lot of your character's progression as far as damage is concerned didn't even come from items. With D3, items are everything.
Only to make room for more resist gear. Or maybe you forget how in D2 it was "Resist or garbage" for its loot drops. Oh, but I guess those rose-tinted glasses don't allow for admitting that there were faults in a game you used to love.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I don't need to "explain" my argument in relation to D2 or Torchlight, because it's not really dependent on them. I'm saying that it's frustrating and transparent design, seeing the vast majority of magic items be completely useless vendor trash, and it's designed like that specifically because of the AH, as the sexy Bashiok will explain for you in a second:
Except that you talked about getting frustrated with D3's shallow loot system in the same post that you talked about deciding to preorder Torchlight 2. I have news for you, 90% of the loot you find in Torchlight is going to be worthless vendor trash. In fact, you're going to wish that Torchlight has a way to trade with players (maybe it will, since it'll be multiplayer this time), because you're going to get that one spectacular item... for another class. Then what? Then it's time to hope and pray that you can find someone who wants to buy it off of you, then you have to hope that you can find someone who has a piece of gear that you can buy with the money from the gear you sold. Or you can just post to and buy from the AH.
Or I could be playing games for the fun of it, instead of treating it like a damn job. Everytime someone talks about how they're "playing" Diablo 3, all I hear is work. How they're having to farm this or that. How they have to do some workaround to get more something or other. And just...jesus christ, it doesn't even sound like a game.

The best thing I can say about Diablo 3 is it got me back into Borderlands and now I'm crazy hyped for Borderlands 2.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Or I could be playing games for the fun of it, instead of treating it like a damn job. Everytime someone talks about how they're "playing" Diablo 3, all I hear is work. How they're having to farm this or that. How they have to do some workaround to get more something or other. And just...jesus christ, it doesn't even sound like a game.

The best thing I can say about Diablo 3 is it got me back into Borderlands and now I'm crazy hyped for Borderlands 2.
Well, people have the same problem with Borderlands. If you aren't doing something that has a chance to get you the best gun in the entire game, then you're wasting your time. Gamers have a bad habit of missing the forest for the trees when it comes to any game that has loot. Heaven forbid you just play the game and have fun with it without needing to get wrapped-up in what drops better loot.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Yeah and team Fortress was originally Half Life. What's your point?

9 years of dev is going to completely gut and remove nearly everything from a project except the name and core premise. Aside from being an interesting fact this bit of information is fairly useless. (aside from another place for people to make quick jabs at Blizzard and its games pro and con and flinging large amounts of mud).

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Mr.Tea said:
It makes me fucking sick to my stomach that I was suckered into buying what I knew full well was a piece of shit
Well, why did you buy it then? Sorry but you only have yourself to blame.

Fuck Blizzard. I can't even fathom how people still love them
Doesn't matter when people are still chucking money at them hand over fist. Hate them all you want but you did more for them as a company than the person who loves Blizz but couldn't afford to buy their latest game. What kind of message are you sending?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
Yeah and team Fortress was originally Half Life. What's your point?

9 years of dev is going to completely gut and remove nearly everything from a project except the name and core premise. Aside from being an interesting fact this bit of information is fairly useless. (aside from another place for people to make quick jabs at Blizzard and its games pro and con and flinging large amounts of mud).
But the problem is that it still has some really obvious relics from the MMO concept, like there being no truely single player option. Storing almost all game info on a server, that you must keep a constant internet connection to to be able to play, which leads to MMO problems such as rubberbanding, lag, being completely disconnected from your game without warning, and not being able to log onto the servers at all to play because they are full/offline.

All this is in place to protect a microtransaction auction house that will make more money for Blizzard, and to fund the server costs, and things like drop rates and rare item stats have had to be nerfed to protect this.

All these are relics from the initial concept of having a Diablo MMO, because if they didn't need to fund server costs, they wouldn't need to generate income through an RM aution house, meaning they wouldn't need secure servers to store the game data, eliminating the vast majority of complaints about the game, complaints that have led to huge fan outcry and legal action against Blizzard.

That's the point of the article.